New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Fuji X Raw Studio

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X Raw Studio

Okay, so Fuji released firmware 3.00 for the XT2, and X Raw Studio. I'm probably being dense here, but I can't figure out what the big deal is about X Raw Studio (I'll just call it XRS).

You shoot a bunch of raw images, download them to your computer, connect your camera, fire up XRS, and then run your downloaded raw files through the camera to create jpg's that you could have just created when you shot the images.

What am I missing? I thought, obviously wrongly, that I would be able to connect my camera, and the software would use the cameras processor to convert the raw files (like LR or Irident) directly from the camera to my computer. I just tried, and XRS doesn't even see the SD card...

Nov 29, 2017 at 09:59 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I was looking forward to XRS but downloaded it tonight and am less than impressed. It's very much version 1 software, so maybe it will get better.

The obvious upside is you can create JPGs that match the camera's output, changing your original white balance, film simulation, highlight recovery, etc. Yes, you can reprocess them in camera, but this way, you can see the effect on screen before converting. I've done it in camera and had to try 4-5 possibilities before getting what I liked, so this part is good because you can view it with a pretty quick refresh.

Now the downside. It's JPG only, unless using medium format. I was hoping for TIFF to give more leverage for Photoshop edits. Also, you can only convert images taken with the same model camera that's connected to the computer. Everything I shot with my X-E3 (even though the same sensor and processor) cannot be converted with the X-T2 attached. Major bummer since X-E3 evidently isn't getting the software connection. Even if I shot something with an X100F (supported camera) but later sold that camera, I'm out of luck. I take this to mean Fuji wants us to hang onto a camera forever and never upgrade.

So, my feelings are mixed. It works pretty well for what it does, but they really need to allow conversion of everything taken with the same sensor/processor combination. I guess it's back to Lightroom.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:42 PM
Nate71LB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X Raw Studio

DougVaughn wrote:
I was looking forward to XRS but downloaded it tonight and am less than impressed. It's very much version 1 software, so maybe it will get better.

The obvious upside is you can create JPGs that match the camera's output, changing your original white balance, film simulation, highlight recovery, etc. Yes, you can reprocess them in camera, but this way, you can see the effect on screen before converting. I've done it in camera and had to try 4-5 possibilities before getting what I liked, so this part is good because you can view it with a pretty quick refresh.

Now the
...Show more

I am wondering, what does this program do that other raw converters don't?

Nov 30, 2017 at 01:47 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I am wondering, what does this program do that other raw converters don't?

Gives you jpg conversions exactly as though they had been originally shot with the camera

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:18 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X Raw Studio

Which tools are available for editing in this software? Are there curves, levels etc? Or just the in-camera settings for JPEG output?

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X Raw Studio

memoria wrote:
Which tools are available for editing in this software? Are there curves, levels etc? Or just the in-camera settings for JPEG output?

OK - I will answer my own question. No, just the same settings as in-camera. Which makes sense now when I understand how they developed this.

The way it behaves now seems (at least to me) pretty pointless. It's a RAW software aimed at JPEG shooters - who don't want to mess around with RAW in the first place

And...the interface is not that speedy. Yes, conversion is REALLY fast but the response in the interface does not impress me at all. Not bad, but then again, nothing that sticks out either.

I think more people would enjoy a more solid base like Canons DPP. This whole camera-connect thing is just annoying. I want more editing tools. These are way way too basic. One suggestion is to add a two-step process.

1) Do your basic adjustments in XRS with camera engine. Then conversion to DNG and tab 2) Standard RAW editing tools. That would be powerful.

Maybe in a future release.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I think more people would enjoy a more solid base like Canons DPP

Yes, this is what I expected. I knew they were going to use the in-camera processor, but I thought it would be used simply to run the raw files through on the way to the software, which was supposed to alleviate the issues of the raw converters out there that struggle with the x-trans files.....

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X Raw Studio

Have you guys seen how it does with foliage?

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:11 PM
duet
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X Raw Studio

It will be same as in camera. All it does is allowing you to process your RAW on your computer monitor instead of LCD of your camera
Nate71LB wrote:
Have you guys seen how it does with foliage?

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:42 PM
motorsjuk

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I have to admit that I was a bit excited about it when I first heard about them coming with their own, unique converter, but from hearing about the first impressions I don't see much of a point in it (at least not for me). At least if the only available output is jpg (for x-pro2, when available).

I realize that it probably would be a laggy experience, but I'd much rather have it somehow implemented in the Fuji Remote-app or a stand alone app, since I can't stand the trial and error "editing" in cam, and a pretty small screen. Being able to do it somewhat live on a smart phone or tablet would be of much more use to me personally.

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:55 AM
mdelrossi
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I think they weren't clear or we were expecting too much.
It does what its supposed to do.
Gives you the ability to process your RAW files with the cameras' processor.
Gives you the ability to see the changes before committing.
Gives you the ability to try out different settings, and see the results on your big monitor.
Gives you the ability to use Color Chrome effect without waiting for the camera during the shoot.
Batch process after the shoot. (get a cup of coffee)
Will work on photos on your hard drive. Though, GFX files can be converted by attaching the GFX camera, and the GFX won't convert XT2 files. probably vice versa(haven't tried yet).

So all in all for a free software, it works well.

I haven't dived into it fully, but I expect I'll be playing around with the settings to make my own profiles to use for the jpeg's I produce along with the RAW's during the shoot.

Best

mdr

Dec 01, 2017 at 10:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X Raw Studio

I watched the video on the Fuji Guys channel, and I'm afraid I really don't see any point to the software.

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X Raw Studio

mdelrossi wrote:
I think they weren't clear or we were expecting too much.
It does what its supposed to do.
Gives you the ability to process your RAW files with the cameras' processor.
Gives you the ability to see the changes before committing.
Gives you the ability to try out different settings, and see the results on your big monitor.
Gives you the ability to use Color Chrome effect without waiting for the camera during the shoot.
Batch process after the shoot. (get a cup of coffee)
Will work on photos on your hard drive. Though, GFX files can be converted by attaching the GFX camera, and
...Show more

This basically is what I was expecting based on the info we got from Fuji a few months ago: your Mac or PC as a pretty dumb terminal for your camera. Still, being able to experiment with a mouse and a big screen beats fumbling on the back of your camera. I hope they'll bring the same to the X100F just to be able to experiment now and then but doubt I'll use it frequently. I'd love something like this on an iPad though, as an easy UI for post-processing with the built-in wifi acting as connection. Would be great for social media use.

Dec 01, 2017 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.