New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Phottix Flash out of Syn with Shutter

bolesauto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phottix Flash out of Syn with Shutter

Anyone every run into this with any brand flash?

I have very much enjoyed my Phottix Mitros+ flashes and Odin II receiver. Everything worked well until recently. First I had an issue with the Odin II not firing my studio strobes using Stratos II receivers. An update to the Odin II transmitter corrected that issue. Next I am finding that one of my Mitros+ flashes fires out of time with the shutter. Even at 1/80 shutter speed I have this issue.

The problem first emerged during a pinup shoot a few weeks ago. Flash B (I label my units for ease of set up) was dropping out and only firing once in a blue moon. Finally I had to skip TTL all together and use it on optical trigger. It worked a bit better but the shoot was during the daytime around a WWII airplane with the flashes spaced pretty far apart. Getting optical to work at those distances and low power bursts is hit or miss no matter what brand. I figured it was battery related or possibly some form of interference locally.
Well I tried again the following Sunday during a wedding reception and had the same issue with Flash B. Rarely would Flash B fire and even when it did I wouldn't see the result in my photos. I put it away and finished without it .
Tonight I tested it outside, in the dark at the local city Christmas tree. 1/80th shutter speed, ISO 800, focus spot metering, 0 EV compensation, Sony a99ii, Mitros+ (Flash B) mounted to the hotshoe. The flash failed to fire and when it did only one of many images showed actual flash contribution. I switched the flash to a known good Mitros+ (Flash A) and had no issues. Every shutter actuation resulted in a correctly timed and mostly correctly exposed flash contribution.
Once home I downloaded the latest update for my flashes from Phottix and updated everything. Flash A still works properly and fires every time. Flash B not only fails to fire, but it continues to fire out of sync with the shutter. When set to Manual mode it fires normally. When set to HSS it fails to fire. Any clues?

Nov 29, 2017 at 09:40 PM
louwd123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phottix Flash out of Syn with Shutter

Hi, I've have a more simple setup than that what you explained, but the symptoms of my Mitros+ are exactly the same. On or off-camera, with Odin transmitter or not. Sometimes no flash, with correct exposure beep confirmation, sometimes full 1/1 blast and over exposure, and even sometimes missing the shutter completely with the flash(even within 1/200th Sync speed. Did you manage to get any resolve to your problem?

Thanks, Louw de Villiers

Jan 24, 2018 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.