Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sony to start CFast production...

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony to start CFast production...

Sony has announced they will be producing C-Fast cards now. I was hoping that standard would just disapear as I don't want to ever buy another card. More competition could bring prices down (which is one of my main problems with the cards) but Sony isn't one to compete on price if their other cards are anything to go by.

http://www.canonrumors.com/sony-completes-pro-memory-card-line-up-with-new-cfast-range/

Not sure why Sony decided to make these but maybe they are adding CFast to some future video cameras or something??

Nov 28, 2017 at 06:48 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony to start CFast production...

Puzzling move by Sony for sure, especially that they don’t have any camera supporting these cards (yet). Maybe some will pop up on the market soon. A9 was a great candidate for XQD or CFast cards. Maybe A7S III will record 4K video at 60fps and this is why they need faster cards?
I wonder what naysayers have to say about these cards as they were very loud on the forums calling the CFast 2.0 a “dead end” format, right after 1DXII hit the market. It looks like manufacturers (Sony) believe in this format after all.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony to start CFast production...

I thought Sony used SxS for the high end video or is that changing

EBH

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:49 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony to start CFast production...

Interesting that Sony is doing this. Maybe it will mix up the price on them a bit, doubtful but hopeful.

Nov 29, 2017 at 04:51 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony to start CFast production...

It would be really nice if the industry could move towards standardizing. Unfortunately Canon's shenanigans has forced those of us with 1DX2/5D4 combos to now carry 3 differents cards

Nov 29, 2017 at 06:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony to start CFast production...

Sony must know something is coming, but why only in the Asia-Pacific region?

EBH

Nov 29, 2017 at 07:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony to start CFast production...

Produce? no. design and market? yes.

Nov 30, 2017 at 09:53 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony to start CFast production...

EB-1 wrote:
Sony must know something is coming, but why only in the Asia-Pacific region?

EBH

I noticed that also....not sure??

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:11 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony to start CFast production...

sjms wrote:
Produce? no. design and market? yes.

Yes true.

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:11 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony to start CFast production...

CFast wasn't going to "disappear" because none of the older card techs can handle higher-bitrate video. CFast cards start around where SD cards top out.

If anything, hopefully this kills off XQD. It's a format that's only present on a handful of cameras from two manufacturers. Not sure how Sony even convinced Nikon to use them.

Also, not sure why the A9 would need CFast or XQD... it's max video bitrate is only 100Mbps... an SD card can easily handle that.

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:02 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony to start CFast production...

arbitrage wrote:
Not sure why Sony decided to make these but maybe they are adding CFast to some future video cameras or something??

Maybe, just maybe the bean counters see profit to be made from selling C-Fast cards

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:35 AM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony to start CFast production...

arbitrage wrote:

You do know that Sony kind of likes to make a profit from things other than cameras, right?

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:02 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony to start CFast production...

oguruma wrote:
You do know that Sony kind of likes to make a profit from things other than cameras, right?

Of course but I don’t think that CFast is a big market for them, especially that they were behind XQD from the very beginning. Shouldn’t be more logical for them to push their own, newer format?

Also don’t think that flash memory is a good/profitable business. Look what happened to Lexar

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:13 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony to start CFast production...

Now my XQD cards are obsolete?

Dec 08, 2017 at 06:11 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony to start CFast production...

What adds to the confusion is that not to long ago there was an announcement of the new format: CFexpress. I wonder why Sony picked the old CFast over the CFexpress.

Dec 08, 2017 at 09:05 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony to start CFast production...

kosin wrote:
Of course but I don’t think that CFast is a big market for them, especially that they were behind XQD from the very beginning. Shouldn’t be more logical for them to push their own, newer format?

Also don’t think that flash memory is a good/profitable business. Look what happened to Lexar

Sandisk seems to be doing fine.... The difference is that Sony makes all kinds of consumer electronics. They don't have all of their eggs in the flash storage basket....

Dec 16, 2017 at 01:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony to start CFast production...

SanDisk is owned by Western Digital these days.

what happened to Lexar was Micron.

Sony is made up of multiple business units

Dec 16, 2017 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.