New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

xterra07
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

I am looking for advice on portable lights. I recently got to use Profoto B1 lights, 2 of them, they were great for people shots, but for outdoors subject/car photos, I needed 3 or 4 at the same time.

The price tag is the issue when going with more than 2 lights with B1 setup.
I like the convenience of just using Profoto Air Controller for Canon, which allows for controlling power remotely, and not having to connect anything to the lights themselves, these already have sensors in them.

I used PocketWizard IIIs with lights, and having to connect the triggers to the lights I prefer avoiding, since there are many other things that need attention...

My question is: Is there a convenient system like Profoto B1 (with Air controller for Canon), where the lights have maybe less power, but have built-in trigger sensors, allow power control from a wireless remote, and have batteries attached to the lights themselves.

Also which stands or type of stands would do well on uneven outdoors ground. The 7ft no-names "reversed feet" tipped over way easily, 10ft Bowes 6610 is heavier and stands better, but there must be a different style of footing that does better on non-flat ground, besides the support of weight bags.

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:52 PM
KSgal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

For lights, portability is where most are going with the Godox 2.4g line, (Adorama is Flashpoint brand)

I just got my xpro1 transmitter, and li-on battery speedlight set.. they are the bomb. The question is how much power you need.

These look like they *may* be comparable

Flashpoint Xplor 600

Get the 69 dollar transmitter for the camera, the receivers are built in, no fuss. And if you want to augment with a speedlight here and there, you can.. even with HSS. and the price is a bit nicer. At any rate, explore the godox.com site or the flashpoint brand on adorama. I can tell you the speedlights are Very nicely built, I was more than surprised, and lots of good info and reviews out there on those, I'm sure it is the same for the AD600's

Nov 28, 2017 at 05:30 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

xterra07 wrote:
My question is: Is there a convenient system like Profoto B1 (with Air controller for Canon), where the lights have maybe less power, but have built-in trigger sensors, allow power control from a wireless remote, and have batteries attached to the lights themselves.

There are plenty such systems. From the top of my head, other than Profoto there are :
- Godox
- SMDV
- Multiblitz
- Broncolor
- Interfit
- Jinbei
- Bowens
- and most likely quite a few others.

If you're willing to include pack and heads systems, you can add Elinchrom, Phottix, Hensel, etc.

All of these can be great or terrible options for you depending on plenty of additional factors so a bit more research might be needed .

Don't look that much at Ws ratings, particularly between strobes which flash tube / reflector / mount design are different. Things are unfortunately more complicated than that and Ws isn't a reliable indicator. This video's methodology may not be perfect, but it should be enough to convince you to examine more factors to determine how much light will eventually fall on your subject than Ws ratings alone :

Nov 28, 2017 at 05:54 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

I'd take a look at the Interfit S1 and Godox AD600 if you're looking for something in that power range. I am also selling one of my B1 2x strobe location kits if you're interested

Nov 28, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

sungphoto wrote:
I'd take a look at the Interfit S1 and Godox AD600 if you're looking for something in that power range. I am also selling one of my B1 2x strobe location kits if you're interested

Didn't you just get your B1's, too many lights ?

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Fotografpaul wrote:
Didn't you just get your B1's, too many lights ?

Yeah, I absolutely love them, but I realized that for my advertising work on location, I rarely need more than the two B1s. When I need more, I typically have a rental budget allocated.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:10 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

The Godox/Flashpoint 600ws unit is IMO the best all around price/performance/modular unit on the market, premium brands included. Even if I had the money for the Profotos, I'd rather buy and work with the Godox/Flashpoint options. There are some tweaks that could be made to improve them, but nothing that would stymie a competent photographer. Like any piece of gear there's simply no perfect option.

As someone who has worked with and owned pretty much every lighting category, the Godox/Flashpoint options have proven a total game changer for me. I have a kit of 3 Streaklight TTLs, and have recently added the Xplor 600, and am currently testing the eVOLV 200s. The entire system across all three styles of light is seamless with the X1 and now XPro triggers. If you get them from Adorama or Cheetah they're well supported.

I've so far shot about 30 times with a mix of each light, a handful of covers, editorials, small fashion campaigns, and they've been rock solid. Currently writing a series of articles about the experiences, the first of which will go live next week. You could likely get away with 2x 600 units and one or 2x 360 units. TBH I can do almost anything with the 360 units, but I don't shoot cars - the 600 units would be great for really broad coverage and large subjects.

Regarding stands, if you want what works solid, there's really no way around them being heavy. Go Avenger c stands and sandbags. If I'm shooting solo on a small gig and need a light on a stand, and want a mix of portable and stable, I've cobbled together an Avenger heavy duty kit stand with their c stand arm and knuckle. It's a little lighter than a c stand, but offers booming and a load bearing capacity that supports the 360. If I were buying new there are other options often recommended here - I think Cowboy Studio has a boom, stand and sandbag kit that people like. Kupo has a great folding, wheeled leg set for indoor stuff that accepts the standard c stand column.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

One thing that I'd throw in there re the AD360 is to skip the V1 and get the V2, as the V1 does not have a built in RF receiver. I rarely use my V1 AD360 nowadays unless I need to use more than 4 lights at a time, because I find the little RF dongle too fiddly and I always stress out about whether I brought it with me so I can use it with the R2 trigger. Also, I'm not sure if this is something that it shares with the V2, but the V1 at the very least has somewhat overzealous overheat protection, which will kick in after only a dozen HSS pops and will stay shut down for a minute or two. I rarely use HSS, but when I did with the AD360, that overheat shutdown would kill me and I initially thought the thing was broken. Also HSS has to be actuated manually on the strobe, versus the AD600 and AD200 which automatically switch to this once your camera is outside of standard flash sync speed.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:53 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

I'd recommend to try the Flashpoint Xplor 600 as well.
They are currently have a deal for both the TTL and non-TTL versions so jump in
I've got 2 TTL (though I don't use them that way) along with both the 600 and 1200 W extension heads. I'm tempted to get 2 non-TTL with an extra 1200 W Extension head just because.

Nov 29, 2017 at 02:13 PM
xterra07
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Thanks all, good advice... Godox/Flashpoint 600ws specifically

Dec 04, 2017 at 04:45 PM
TopStepPhotography

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Great info on the FP/Godox. The more I read the more I’m sold. Appreciate it!

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:11 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

As an ex Godox user I highly encourage everyone to check out Elinchrom ELB-400.

Feb 07, 2018 at 09:11 PM
fsolis

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

I’ve been looking at the ELB 400. Why do you prefer it over Godox, please? Thanks.

Feb 07, 2018 at 11:20 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

fsolis wrote:
I’ve been looking at the ELB 400. Why do you prefer it over Godox, please? Thanks.

There is a number of reasons that contributed to my switch. They can be categorized in two groups:

1. HSS vs. Hi-Sync, and
2. Overall ownership experience

When it comes to HSS vs. Hi-Sync, my requirements have changed over the time, now I am looking at doing more shoots under strong(er) sun with larger modifier at increased distance from subject. That is where any HSS based system, not just Godox, of any power has much harder time to deliver (at least it did for me).

When it comes to overall ownership experience Godox has been rough around the edges for me. I will not be elaborating further (as I don't have time for it) but saying "you get what you pay for" always holds true.

Can some of those rough edges be dealt / lived with and accepted considering lower price bracket? Yes, if one has/wants to accept that, people are obviously able to use Godox to create shots and make a living. However, sayings "time is money" and "I am not rich enough to buy cheap if I can afford better" hold true too. Previously I couldn't afford better. Now I can. And time is always my money, that is only resource we all have limit on and older you get more precious it becomes so you don't waste it unless you absolutely have no other choice.

So I started looking at alternatives. ELB-400 is the only one that ticked off all the checkboxes for me. It is only Hi-Sync based strobe I could find that is powerful enough to handle what I have in mind yet has very compact/light form with "light bulb on top, rest of weight on bottom" design that I prefer (I feel such designs are less suspectible to being toppled over, plus use battery on bottom to double as a "sand bag" reducing overall weight carried around), and is from a company I feel I can get more serious support from easier.

That is _why_ I strongly encourage everyone that is considering Godox to consider Elinchrom ELB-400 if later one is within their financial reach. I believe that overall they would find ELB-400 a better value and be more happy with their purchase, even though it costs more. At least I did.

Feb 10, 2018 at 04:21 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Just curious, as I haven't had the time to test this myself: have you tried the Godox lights in both 1/1 manual for HSS as well as changing the sync offset from the trigger? I've heard this increases output while minimizing vignetting/banding. I have no desire to "overpower" the sun and you'll get no argument from me there. If that's guiding your style and gear purchasing, then it is what it is.

I met an Eli rep years ago and at the time lusted after the lithium Quadra. Really happy I am using the Flashpoint/Godox system now and find your comments about saving time off the mark. I just can't imagine things being faster than the eVOLV/Xplor system FWIW.

ZoranC wrote:
There is a number of reasons that contributed to my switch. They can be categorized in two groups:

1. HSS vs. Hi-Sync, and
2. Overall ownership experience

When it comes to HSS vs. Hi-Sync, my requirements have changed over the time, now I am looking at doing more shoots under strong(er) sun with larger modifier at increased distance from subject. That is where any HSS based system, not just Godox, of any power has much harder time to deliver (at least it did for me).

When it comes to overall ownership experience Godox has been rough around the edges for me. I will not
...Show more

Feb 10, 2018 at 05:16 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Yes, I have tried to extract maximum power from Godox before I gave up. What I have found is that even at best setting HSS still doesn't cut it for me and still doesn't come close (enough) to Hi-Sync at its best setting. Which I should have expected, it is my understanding that is always the case with two strobes of same power when only differennce is HSS vs Hi/HyperSync. But I had to try (and I tried hard) because if I was able to achieve it would've meant not losing investment in gear I already owned.

Please notice you have, it seems, misinterpreted my "time is money" comment when you called it off the mark. I am not talking time during use in the field, I am talking about total overall time during ownership spent dealing with anything that is not actually taking photographs.

When Godox batteries had series of problems dealing with that cost me time and money. Mount of Godox modifiers being in sub-optimal position (putting bulb too deep) costs flash power output, dealing with that (getting new ring and replacing old one) costs time and money. Firmware update process on Godox? Anyone that went throught it knows. Etc.

In other words: I am talking about non-productive time spent dealing with gear issues/"issues". I am looking at the big picture of overall ownership cost in money and time (that is money).

I am not "Brand X Bad Bad Bad! Cast the stones and bring out the pitchforks! Brand Y Rah Rah Rah! Sing Hallelujahs and praise The Lord!" type of a guy. Nobody is perfect, ELB-400 has its own rough edges too, I just believe there is sufficiently less of them and they are sufficiently less rough (at least for me) which IMHO makes it a better deal for those that can afford it.

So if Godox is all someone needs / wants / can afford, cool. But if someone can afford more and desires more/better I believe they owe it to themselves to check out ELB-400. As of now I am happy that I did and that I was now in position to afford it.

jlafferty wrote:
Just curious, as I haven't had the time to test this myself: have you tried the Godox lights in both 1/1 manual for HSS as well as changing the sync offset from the trigger? I've heard this increases output while minimizing vignetting/banding. I have no desire to "overpower" the sun and you'll get no argument from me there. If that's guiding your style and gear purchasing, then it is what it is.

I met an Eli rep years ago and at the time lusted after the lithium Quadra. Really happy I am using the Flashpoint/Godox system now and find your
...Show more

Feb 10, 2018 at 07:25 PM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Got it. Totally understand wanting to avoid wasted time. I was lucky to come in to using Godox late in the game, once many of the bugs had been worked out. And I am in the fortunate position of living 30 minutes from Adorama, and can have my firmware updated in minutes.

Feb 10, 2018 at 09:21 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Honestly, everyone will recommend whatever they're using. So I would've recommended the B1 and bashed everything else if I were still using it. However, I am using the Xplor 600 and that's what I highly recommend No seriously, it's a great light!

Feb 12, 2018 at 02:30 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Quick question about some of these lights (I haven’t done much research on them, still using my Dynalights).

Do any of the battery powered lights also work off AC? I know the B1s don’t but what about others.

Feb 12, 2018 at 03:10 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for portable lights advice, like Profoto B1

Quick question about some of these lights (I haven’t done much research on them, still using my Dynalights).

Do any of the battery powered lights also work off AC? I know the B1s don’t but what about others.

Feb 12, 2018 at 03:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.