New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

So I finally did a short video testing this:

I will add another small video with HSS but I did the test already (not on this video) with the Speedlight using the Mola Setti with mesh+opal and settings at 1/4000 ISO 100 and it the Godox required 1/4 to match the exposure of the Neo 2 at full power with no diffuser and using the AC Adapter.
So in short, for MY needs, the Neo 2 is extremely weak. But of course we all have different needs for our photography tools.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM
fplstudio
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

That Led light seems totally useless unless you shoot exclusively at night and with high iso. Very misleading that Jason is pushing this thing so much. Is at least true that led doesn’ t need to be modified,i.e soft enough as bare?

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:31 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

fplstudio wrote:
That Led light seems totally useless unless you shoot exclusively at night and with high iso. Very misleading that Jason is pushing this thing so much. Is at least true that led doesn’ t need to be modified,i.e soft enough as bare?

I have to agree. I was expecting more even though all the suddenly night/indoor only photoshoots he was doing was a hint to me that the power was not there. I dont feel it is as soft as they claim either so I would still use a softbox personally. In fact, I always felt the sample photo on the Box itself is pretty harsh at least to my eyes.
For MY needs it was not worth keeping so I sent it back.

Thanks

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

What are people expecting from the stated output, 2000 lux at 3'?
Even that is at 4100K, which is probably not an optimum color temperature if there is also ambient lighting.

EBH

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:52 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

EB-1 wrote:
What are people expecting from the stated output, 2000 lux at 3'?
Even that is at 4100K, which is probably not an optimum color temperature if there is also ambient lighting.

EBH

Their marking likes to embellish the facts about its capabilities...I decided to put them into real world results.

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:55 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

I mean the concept is interesting but with current output just useful in no more than few occasions. And pricing is just ridiculous. IMO the game changer for 90% of the common needs has been the AD200 system.

Dec 01, 2017 at 09:37 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

I will be getting another Neo 2 with more time now to take it on real life shoots to see how it behaves besides just power tests and in which situations it could be a viable option for photographers. Keep tuned cause the story is not over yet!

fplstudio wrote:
I mean the concept is interesting but with current output just useful in no more than few occasions. And pricing is just ridiculous. IMO the game changer for 90% of the common needs has been the AD200 system.

Dec 01, 2017 at 10:13 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

GabrielPhoto wrote:
I have to agree. I was expecting more even though all the suddenly night/indoor only photoshoots he was doing was a hint to me that the power was not there. I dont feel it is as soft as they claim either so I would still use a softbox personally. In fact, I always felt the sample photo on the Box itself is pretty harsh at least to my eyes.
For MY needs it was not worth keeping so I sent it back.

Thanks

I know this is an old thread Gabriel but the light looks pretty damn soft in this video !

That said I already have the Yongnuo YN300II. However I'd love something round like the Rotalight Neo for round catchlights.

How did it go with your second Neo ? Are you still using them ? And if not what are you using now ?

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:33 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

Frogfish wrote:
I know this is an old thread Gabriel but the light looks pretty damn soft in this video !

That said I already have the Yongnuo YN300II. However I'd love something round like the Rotalight Neo for round catchlights.

How did it go with your second Neo ? Are you still using them ? And if not what are you using now ?

Hello.
The Neo 2s are small light source and they are not very soft on their own but surely softer than using a speedlight without a modifier of course. They also create weird multiple shadows clearly visible if shooting against a white background for example, unless you use a softbox on it. I will be posting a video about that soon.
I did a follow up video on the Neo 2 as well as the Aeos and the Anova Pro 2.

I still use the Neo2s but usually as kick lights or for a bit of background illumination or if I am shooting at night,I may bring it with the softbox since its small and at night, it should be powerful enough.
For studio work, I use mostly Godox SL series of constant light as they are more powerful than the Aeos or Neo 2 and similar to the Anova Pro2 but at a much cheaper price and they accept bowen mount softboxes which to me is crucial.

Also, if you are looking at the Neo, remember they are very tiny so to get a catchlight you need to be very close or it will be very tiny.
Are you getting lights for studio, outdoors or both?

Regards

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:54 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

Thanks Luis. Interesting, I listened closely when you were talking about a preference for constant light from LEDs over using speedlites, when using mirrorless. I think I could use the Yongnuo YN300II and put a round mask over it, maybe it's too small for that but worth trying for the round catchlights. Loved the shoot with the young lady, some beautiful shots in there.

Mar 12, 2019 at 01:07 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

Frogfish wrote:
Thanks Luis. Interesting, I listened closely when you were talking about constant light from LEDs over speedlites. I think I could use the Yongnuo YN300II and put a round mask over it, maybe it's too small for that but worth trying for the round catchlights. Loved the shoot with the young lady, some beautiful shots in there.

Why thank you very much. Yes you can probably modify something to diffuse the light. I see Jason doing similar things for the Rotolights often.

Mar 12, 2019 at 01:08 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

FWIW, LED technology is still lacking in colour fidelity, even far more expensive continuous models do not have CRI 100, the Neo2 is CRI 96. Although that is very good a flash tube still out performs it.

I have zero experience with the Neo line but Peter Coulson(youtoob) has used both and still thinks the original Neo had better output.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

JBPhotog wrote:
FWIW, LED technology is still lacking in colour fidelity, even far more expensive continuous models do not have CRI 100, the Neo2 is CRI 96. Although that is very good a flash tube still out performs it.

I have zero experience with the Neo line but Peter Coulson(youtoob) has used both and still thinks the original Neo had better output.

Well from my personal use, using the Rotolight and more importantly, using the Godox SL lineup which is rated at CRI 93, TLCI 95, R9 80..I can say the color rendition is more than enough for my pro work so I am more than happy with the results.

Mar 13, 2019 at 01:05 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

Frogfish wrote:

I think this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but you can see how harsh the light is in real life if you go to the 10:30 mark on the video - look at the hardness of the shadow around her nose, even with the light only a couple feet from it.

The images Lanier added to the video are heavily retouched, with skin softening applied. The ambient light he was shooting in was from an overcast day, which is a huge softbox - and with no way of dialing down the ambient light without also affecting the rotolight output, almost all of the light hitting the "models" is ambient.

Purely in terms of photography (I'm sure they're ok people), I have about as much respect for Lanier as I do the Northrups, which isn't much. Saw Lanier kind of just awkwardly floating around WPPI last month. Guessing he was leading some photowalks around the event, but from what I understand Sony dropped him as an ambassador.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:49 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My power measurement of Rotolight Neo 2 vs Godox speedlight

sungphoto wrote:
I think this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but you can see how harsh the light is in real life if you go to the 10:30 mark on the video - look at the hardness of the shadow around her nose, even with the light only a couple feet from it.

The images Lanier added to the video are heavily retouched, with skin softening applied. The ambient light he was shooting in was from an overcast day, which is a huge softbox - and with no way of dialing down the ambient light without also affecting the rotolight output, almost
...Show more
Cant argue with your evaluation. It was the perfect setup to show them during "daylight" but yeah, even the photo on the packaging of the Neo 2 is harsh.

Mar 29, 2019 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.