Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

What is needed now is for Canon to show some gumption and stop religiously protecting their cine line and stop gimping their otherwise excellent hardware with poor implementation in their DSLR line-up. 5D4/1DXII could be amazing video cameras with a FW update.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Mikehit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
What is needed now is for Canon to show some gumption and stop religiously protecting their cine line and stop gimping their otherwise excellent hardware with poor implementation in their DSLR line-up. 5D4/1DXII could be amazing video cameras with a FW update.

My guess is that the sort of video you are talking about is important to a tiny fraction of people who would buy the 5D4. Unfortunately that minority is extremely vocal, and supported by (triggered by?) reviewers whose role is to identify differences and supposed inferiorities. In so many walks of life trial by social media is a growing issue and this to me is no different.

I don't shoot video but would have no problem with super-duper 4k being implemented but to talk about 'gumption' is to me laughable. What takes more 'gumption' - to follow the herd or buck the trend?
They will implement it because no company likes negative publicity and to my mind the big problem was the 6D2 -
if it had been the 5D4 by itself i would have been manageable but the hullabaloo created on release of the 6D2 cemented a meme that 'Canon don't innovate' which is ridiculous.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:35 PM
buggz
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

My GH5 records internally in 10 bit 4:2:2

ELinder wrote:
Am I correct in assuming all this talk of using the DSLRs for pro-type production means using an external recorder so the stream is at least encoded in 4:2:2 instead of to internal SD/XQD/CF cards at 4:2:0 and to a much less compressed or lossless codec?

Dec 11, 2017 at 09:19 PM
ELinder
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

That's pretty cool. From what I can see that camera is the exception.

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What Is Needed for Pro Video Now?

Pixel Perfect wrote:

I'd like to see the same thing, but they're never going to let the hybrid bodies trample on the Cinema line until they're forced to by the competition. Canon's market share means innovation comes at a trickle instead of a flood like the competition. That 4k crop is a bad joke. Yay, DPAF and a touch screen with the 1d AF! Meanwhile they're getting lapped by Sony/Nikon on FF side and Sony/Fuji on APS-c.

Judging by the crop and rolling shutter, Canon's processing is really lagging behind. They can't get an adequate full sensor readout, so they have to resort to the crop.

Maybe with the 5dmk5 in 2020 they get it right or stop using all in-house components to be competitive.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:41 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.