Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

Odyssey1812

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

I happened to read an article (linked below) on BBC citing a study by Princeton University stating that more than 480 web firms record "every keystroke." They questioned the legality of using such software without user consent.

To quote: "Collection of page content by third-party replay scripts may cause sensitive information such as medical conditions, credit card details and other personal information displayed on a page to leak to the third party as part of the recording. This may expose users to identity theft, online scams, and other unwanted behavior."

So I bought a few items from B&H Photo using Firefox browser with 'No Scripts' add-on (it allows me to block scripts from running). I discovered that B&H uses one of these cited pieces of software: FullStory. I couldn't complete the purchase without allowing this script to run!

I'm not sure if I want to purchase from B&H any further. That is pretty sneaky that this is not disclosed and we cannot opt out. Does anyone know if any other photo retailers use similar?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42065650

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

You may want to dash off an email to Henry Posner, the B&H rep here on FM.
If they are doing that I have never seen any adverse result of them using it. I have it on in FF so as I said no adverse reaction in my orders with B&H. I will try it OFF and see..
But I fear every website or "big brother" "follows" us anyway.
Dan

Nov 26, 2017 at 08:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

If that really bothers you, you might as well stop shopping online. Do you have a smart TV ? It's listening.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:16 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

Or you can have fun messing with them.

Load your shopping cart with expensive gear, then type "Adorama's 30% off price match" on B&H's search bar, then go to Adorama's website directly from B&H leaving all that gear in your shopping cart.

BTW, I block "Fullstory" and the B&H website works just fine.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:41 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

Thanks for your interest. B&H uses Fullstory to let us see a customer's transaction as the customer saw it but after the fact. If a customer reports a problem with an order after it's been placed this helps us determine who, if anyone, is at fault and helps us improve our site. If it troubles you, you can (as anther person reported) disable it and shop with us anyway,

FWIW we take no interest in medical conditions. Credit card details are handled via a third-party site. Card data is not processed or stored here and no one here can see it.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 28, 2017 at 03:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

That is quite strange. What medical conditions are requested by a website
Is the site deducing that by measuring the typing error rate? If so it must think I have the tremors and am mentally slow.

EBH

Nov 29, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&H Using Keystroke Logger Scripts?

EB-1 wrote:
That is quite strange. What medical conditions are requested by a website
Is the site deducing that by measuring the typing error rate? If so it must think I have the tremors and am mentally slow.

EBH

Well you said the mentally slow....not us!

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.