Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackston...

ATX353
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Thanks to @JBPhotog for walking me through how to test for color cast. This is my first test, so please forgive my ignorance. I shot outside in direct sunlight, stacking two grey cards, as that was what was needed to fill the frame. I shot at 200mm f/8.0. ISO was left at 1000 since I forgot to change that (hopefully this does not impact the test). White Balance custom set before the test on the grey card.

1. Control

R: 148
G: 148
B: 148

2. Blackstone WCC 10 Stop ND
R: 125
G: 120
B: 115

3. Breakthrough Photography 10 Stop ND
R: 126
G: 123
B: 124

4. Singh-Ray Mor-Slo 10 Stop ND
R: 119
G: 122
B: 128

5. Pro-Grey 10 Stop ND Handheld as this was a 150mm filter
R: 122
G: 120
B: 119

If my understanding is correct the Pro-Grey Filter and the Breakthrough Filter has the least amount of Color Cast. The Pro-Grey and Breakthrough have a very slight magenta color cast, whereas the Singh-Ray exhibits a stronger blue cast, and the Blackstone having a stronger magenta/green cast.

Please let me know what y'all think and if I could have done anything different or better.

Thank you and I hope this is a little informational!

© ATX353 2017

Control Shot Grey Card

© ATX353 2017

Wine Country Camera Blackstone ND 10 stop

© ATX353 2017

Breakthrough Photography ND 10 Stop

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:22 PM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Here are the Singh-Ray and Pro-Grey shots.

© ATX353 2017

Singh-Ray Mor Slo 10 Stop

© ATX353 2017

Pro-Grey ND 10 Stop Handheld

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Thanks for sharing your test results! Personally, I like the look of the Breakthrough Photography filter the best. I'm actually planning on picking up a 10 stop ND so this helps a lot!

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:21 PM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Tom Nevesely wrote:
Thanks for sharing your test results! Personally, I like the look of the Breakthrough Photography filter the best. I'm actually planning on picking up a 10 stop ND so this helps a lot!

No problem! I was in the same boat, I went from Singh-Ray to Breakthrough and found that I much preferred Breakthrough, especially at their price point/quality. I was intrigued by the Wine country system, but it doesn't seem to be near the most neutral.

I also picked up Pro-Grey for my 14-24. I prefer the look of the Breakthrough, and am not sure why the Pro-Grey looks significantly different even though I would say it's probably the most neutral or tied with Breakthrough. Pro-Grey's price point is better than breakthrough.

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Besides doing your own test, looking at what others have found is also useful. Here is one visual based test that shows the Breakthrough ND filters have no significant color cast.

https://www.exploringexposure.com/blog/breakthrough-photography-review

The information that Breakthrough has posted about their filters also references a lot of reviews that mention a lack of color cast, but there can be a bit of bias for things on any given manufacturers site. They do show a color cast comparison to other ND filters, all though that comparison could have had the color saturation increased to emphasize color cast of the competitors products. But the transmission curves they have posted on their site, with the Breakthrough having a very flat curve, are a strong endorsement of lack of color cast, and are based on a real scientific measurement. You can find those curves down a ways in the following link:

https://breakthrough.photography/products/x4-neutral-density

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM
ATX353
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A comparison of color cast between: Breakthrough, Wine Country Blackstone, Singh-Ray, and Pro-Grey

Roland,

Absolutely, I swear I’ve searched for every ND filter review out there... Just part of my ocd fueled curiosity. I have found Breakthrough to indeed have no noticeable cast when shooting scenes, and I suppose the purpose of the test was to see if there was a cast. I had also read a couple reviews that suggested Wine Country Blackstone had no cast either, so I was curious to test it ou.

Roland W wrote:
Besides doing your own test, looking at what others have found is also useful. Here is one visual based test that shows the Breakthrough ND filters have no significant color cast.

https://www.exploringexposure.com/blog/breakthrough-photography-review

The information that Breakthrough has posted about their filters also references a lot of reviews that mention a lack of color cast, but there can be a bit of bias for things on any given manufacturers site. They do show a color cast comparison to other ND filters, all though that comparison could have had the color saturation increased to emphasize color cast of the competitors products. But the
...Show more

Nov 26, 2017 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.