Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

fsphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

Try using Canson Baryta profiles.
http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:50 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

why would you use a Canson profile for Epson paper run on a Canon printer? also can you provide a link so we can reference the source material that states Canson Baryta ICC Profile can be substituted for Epson Legacy Baryta ICC Profile and run on Canon Pro 2000/4000?

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

"why would you use a Canson profile for Epson paper run on a Canon printer?"

Because there appear to be no published profiles for said paper on said printer, AND, since it's fairly common knowledge that many similar types of paper are actually the very same paper or the same base with a slightly different coating, and often, as I've pointed out with two known references, the papers are similar enough to be able to swap profiles. This also agrees with conversations I've had with the folks at Chromix in Seattle. As I told the OP in a PM, if this doesn't work, then I'll make him a custom profile for that paper and that printer, but cheaper and easier to try this first.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

he could just as easily use the Canon Pro Luster profile as a starting point create a custom media file from it and be done with it. as a matter of fact that is exactly what he has to do.

ICC profiles for printers are paper AND printer specific.

Canon only provides profiles for their printers and their papers. They will not have any ICC profiles for HP or Epson papers (same for for Epson or HP not having profiles for Canon printers)

Canon Prograf series printers allow for the addition of "custom media types" into the printer's firmware and driver. This is accomplished via the Canon Media Configuration Tool, software that ships with all Prograf models.

Using a custom media type offers users several advantages over selecting a generic media type. It allows the following information to be built into the media type file (AM1X):

Ink density limits, paper feed vaccum strength, and print head height / platen gap
Roll paper settings - automatic cutting, drying time and borderless printing rules
Paper feed adjustment which is particularly useful with super-heavy media such as canvas.

so how are you going to build the media type file? to my knowledge Canon's Pro 4000 Media Configuration Tool will only input an ICC file that has a AM1X file extension.

Q: What are AM1x files? Where are the ICC files?

A: These AM1x files are Canon's new way of installing custom media types and integrating them with ICC files. These AM1x files should be installed with the Canon Media Configuration Tool (available on Canon's website). When finished, the ICC profiles will be automatically installed on your system. To install,

1. Open the Media Configuration Tool
2. Click Add Media Information (the 2nd button at the top)
3. Tick "Aquire by specifying the media information file" and choose your AM1x

Once you are finished updating your printer, you must update your printer driver to match.

Windows:
Open Devices and Printers. Right click your printer and choose Printer Properties. Navigate to Device Settings and click Update Media Information.

i'm just curious how are you going to get that *.icc custom made profile into the printer driver, which resides in an *.AM1X environment?

Edited on Nov 27, 2017 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2017 at 06:01 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

there appear to be no published profiles for said paper on said printer, AND, since it's fairly common knowledge that many similar types of paper are actually the very same paper or the same base with a slightly different coating, and often, as I've pointed out with two known references, the papers are similar enough to be able to swap profiles

you are saying the same thing. only you are substituting Canson Baryta profiles for the Canon Pro Luster ICC Profile, without any data supporting your premises. Canon Luster and Epson Legacy Baryta are similar enough to be able to swap profiles as recommended by AtLex Epson Legacy Baryta . hmmm, contention for contention's sake?

son, you've added no value to this topic. you've simply substituted Canson Baryta profiles for Canon Pro Luster profiles without adding any value to what i've said. that's an old trick, lol. you good old boys are good at that, lol.

i would agree however, if the Canson Baryta Profile is better than Canon Pro Luster Profile then use the Canson. i installed the Canson AM1X profiles for the samples that we purchased. the Canson AM1X files installed seamlessly.

Edited on Nov 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:12 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

there appear to be no published profiles for said paper on said printer, AND, since it's fairly common knowledge that many similar types of paper are actually the very same paper or the same base with a slightly different coating, and often, as I've pointed out with two known references, the papers are similar enough to be able to swap profiles

this is the same as:

ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy Papers - download here.

For Baryta and Platine use your printer's best Luster setting.?

For Epson Legacy Etching and Fibre Rag use your printers best watercolor setting.

the papers Canon Luster and Epson Legacy Baryta are similar enough to be able to swap profiles as recommended by AtLex.

http://www.atlex.com/shop-by-brand/epson/epson-legacy-paper

what is really happening in those profiles mentioned above Luster and Watercolor is the Black Ink is being set for RC coated paper or non-RC coated paper. Photo Black for RC coated and Matte Black for non-RC coated papers. or am i missing something?

so how are you going to build the media type file? Canon's Pro 4000 Media Configuration Tool will only input an ICC file that has a AM1X file extension.

A: These AM1x files are Canon's new way of installing custom media types and integrating them with ICC files. These AM1x files should be installed with the Canon Media Configuration Tool (available on Canon's website). When finished, the ICC profiles will be automatically installed on your system. To install,

1. Open the Media Configuration Tool
2. Click Add Media Information (the 2nd button at the top)
3. Tick "Aquire by specifying the media information file" and choose your AM1x

Once you are finished updating your printer, you must update your printer driver to match.

Windows:
Open Devices and Printers. Right click your printer and choose Printer Properties. Navigate to Device Settings and click Update Media Information.

i'm just curious how are you going to get that *.icc custom made profile into the printer driver, which resides in an *.AM1X environment?

what this is saying is you start with a *.AM1X media type file. modify that AM1X file into a Custom Profile in a Canon environment using the Pro 4000 Media Configuration Tool.

what is evident to me is you won't be doing this from an Epson environment. the Epson methodology for custom ICC profile file is not compatible to Canon's. therefore rendering that approach N/A non-applicable.

creating a Canon paper profile from within the Media Configuration Tool has a logical basis. there is a reason Canon does that.

if you have a different methodology to do this then i am all ears.

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:17 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

so how are you going to build the media type file? Canon's Pro 4000 Media Configuration Tool will only input an ICC file that has a AM1X file extension.

i found the methods to import ICC profiles *.icc files. but i had drill deep to find the process. but it can be done. *.icc files can be imported and merged with Canon media configuration file resulting in a *.AM1X file. the NEW custom *.AM1X file then will be automatically loaded to the printer and printer driver.

A: These AM1x files are Canon's new way of installing custom media types and integrating them with ICC files. These AM1x files should be installed with the Canon Media Configuration Tool (available on Canon's website). When finished, the ICC profiles will be automatically installed on your system.

Edited on Nov 28, 2017 at 03:28 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

If you read the links to Red River which you provided, you'll see that the AM1x files are the media type files and are separate from the actual icc profiles. The icc profiles still reside where they always have but the AM1x files are installed into the Canon driver and are used in conjunction with the media type files. Not so hard to understand.

This is a very similar process to many other printer drivers/RIPs. It's always a two step process, but if you don't have access to a good spectrophotometer you won't be able to make accurate ink level settings and will be better off using something already done but a paper close to what you're trying to profile.

The trick, of course, is whether the Canon driver is even capable of printing out a target correctly as you have to print through whatever media settings are appropriate and be able to print with no color management. But as long as you can either use the profiling app or the ACPU to print, then you're fine.

I can tell you're trying to make look stupid because I own and normally profile Epsons/Lightjets, Chromira's actual printing presses, etc. and don't use Canon (for printers) but the principles are the same wherever you go.

Why don't you share your vast experience and tell us how YOU make your own custom icc profiles and what measurement device(s) you're using for your linearizations and measure your profile targets. After all, I've never found a situation where I couldn't make a better profile myself than any canned one from pretty much anywhere. Please share with the rest of us so we can all learn and benefit.

Nov 28, 2017 at 03:13 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

at this point in time i don't make any custom profiles period however i will be making my own custom ICC profiles. thus my curiosity. i'm researching the topic CMM calibrated workflow. i run all Canon front to back therefore that is the system that i need to study learn and then develop a precise concise methodology to load those custom *.icc profiles although Canon incorporates *.AM1X profiles.

i have stated previously that i have not purchased an i1 Pro2 to profile my system 'front to back' but you already know that. i have not started the calibration process at this point in time.

however i did discovered the process by which a custom *.icc can be imported and integrated with the *.AM1X then edited as custom *.AM1X files. that's it.

the OP runs a Canon Pro 2000 and i run a Canon Pro 4000. what works for the 2000 also works for the 4000. this why i'm highly interested in the commentary in this post. however, there has been arbitrary commentary that is not substantiated. one can't know with any degree of certainty without conclusive research what will and will not work with Canon Pro series large format print systems.

there are 2 paths being discussed:

1. making a costume ICC profile for the Epson Legacy Baryta photo paper from scratch (i1 spectrometer).

2. making a costume ICC profile for the Epson Legacy Baryta photo paper from an existing photo paper AM1X ICC profile ie. Canon Pro Luster or Canson Baryta. editing the Pro Luster or Canson file to create the Legacy Baryta AM1X profile:

the least common denominator for 1. & 2 above is how to get the ICC *.icc files into the Media Configuration Tool's *.AM1X environment.

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/MediaConfigurationTool/W/1.2/EN/MCT/images/solw001055-106.jpg

you'll see that the AM1x files are the media type files and are separate from the actual icc profiles. The icc profiles still reside where they always have but the AM1x files are installed into the Canon driver and are used in conjunction with the media type files. Not so hard to understand.

not true. "These AM1x files are Canon's new way of installing custom media types and integrating them with ICC files." note that it says integrating them with *.icc files. you should first thoroughly read what is said. then you will understand what i am conveying.

"ICC profiles for printers are paper AND printer specific"

when i downloaded and unzipped the ICC profiles some downloads provided both of the files types, *.icc and *.AM1X. and some sites only downloaded the *.AM1X files. however, the Canon Media Configuration Tool recognizes and imports only the *.AM1X file type in a very painful and slow 1 file at a time process that takes forever.

Canon has a process to deal with the ink distribution. Canon Pro 2000/4000 prints out 6 test patterns to evaluate the ink distribution, a PITA. the 6 operator selectable test pattern images have 6 different values of Ink Usage for operator evaluation, to select the optimum Ink Usage setting for the custom AM1X file being built.

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/MediaConfigurationTool/W/1.2/EN/MCT/common/solw001056-92.jpg

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/MediaConfigurationTool/W/1.2/EN/MCT/images/solw001062-106.jpg

Edited on Nov 29, 2017 at 07:13 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:11 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ICC Profiles for Epson Legacy papers for Canon Pro 2000?

I can tell you're trying to make look stupid because I own and normally profile Epsons/Lightjets, Chromira's actual printing presses, etc. and don't use Canon (for printers) but the principles are the same wherever you go. Why don't you share your vast experience and tell us how YOU make your own custom icc profiles and what measurement device(s) you're using for your linearizations and measure your profile targets. After all, I've never found a situation where I couldn't make a better profile myself than any canned one from pretty much anywhere. Please share with the rest of us so we can...Show more i have no idea what any of this means, what so ever.

son, i don't know what to say. but you shouldn't say such things. because it makes you look petty.....

Nov 28, 2017 at 04:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.