New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · XT2/XT20 AF question

kankushok
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XT2/XT20 AF question

I've used Sony A-mount for the last 11 years (currently a77, 16-50 2.8, 90 2.8, and 70-400Gi), and I'm thinking of moving on. I'm looking to improve the portability, high iso performance, and af tracking capabilities over my current system. I've been looking heavily into the Sony and Fuji mirrorless systems as well as Nikon D500. I think the Fuji system is quite appealing, because of the small, sharp primes available (thinking rokinon 12/2, 27/2.8, 56/1.2, 100-400), but I'm still a little unclear about the af capabilities. While it seems clear that it's no D500, I've seen very little compared to how it compares to previous generation dSLRs. I would appreciate some insight from people who have moved to the xt2/xt20 who have experience with previous generation dSLR/Ts like the a77 or the canon 70d etc with their own native 400mm lenses. Thanks for your help!

You can get an idea of what I shoot here:
(Currently 70% birds, 15% family, 10% landscapes, 5% astro, but this distribution is likely to shift right in the future)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kankushok/

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Caveat - I'm not a Fuji shooter (yet?) but I can't imagine that the Fuji system would do better than a D500 at birds in flight.

Nov 25, 2017 at 08:51 AM
zimman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Hello kankushok,

I am in the process of changing from a Canon 1Dx Mark II to the Fuji X-T2. I have been shooting with the Fuji since the beginning of September. I am very pleased with the image quality. At the moment the only thing that is keeping me from making a 100% change is photographing birds in flight (BIF). The good shots I got of a BIF I feel was more luck than anything else, specially if there is a bit of a busy background. A few weekends ago I had a talk with some Fuji reps and they agreed with me that the focusing isn't quite at the level that I am used to. They also told me to expect new firmware by the end of this month that will have new focusing algorithms that will address this problem. If that is true, it will make my switch from Canon complete. I hope this helps.

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:22 AM
kankushok
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XT2/XT20 AF question

daggah wrote:
Caveat - I'm not a Fuji shooter (yet?) but I can't imagine that the Fuji system would do better than a D500 at birds in flight.

Thanks for the response. I think the general consensus would be that the xt2 is not as good as the D500. However, I don't think the a77 or most DSLRs are at the D500 level either. I'm mostly wondering what kind of change in AF tracking I'd get coming from my current setup. If it's worse, I would likely have to eat the expense and go dual system with the D500, but if it exceeds my current setup, I would likely be satisfied with just the fuji system (as long as I don't try out a D500 ).

zimman wrote
At the moment the only thing that is keeping me from making a 100% change is photographing birds in flight (BIF). The good shots I got of a BIF I feel was more luck than anything else, specially if there is a bit of a busy background.

Thanks zimman, this is helpful. This is actually the same feeling coming from the a77 + 70-400. I can get nice shots, but if the subject was moving at all towards or away from the camera, it was a fluke if it came out sharp and in focus.

Testing af-c in store on the x-t20 it seems that the focus tracking is smoother than the a77. If I walk towards my subject the a77 would adjust the lens in fits and spurts, whereas the x-t20 would adjust continuously. Unfortunately, a couple burst sequences of my wife walking towards the camera had quite a few imperfectly focused shots. Unfortunately, testing in a camera store is rather uninformative, since it has almost nothing to do with real-life situations especially if shooting moving birds.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM
karmabites
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XT2/XT20 AF question

For what it’s worth, being a Nikon, Fuji user and former Sony user, the X-T2 continuous autofocus when shooting erratic subjects (toddlers) is not as good as either Nikon or Sony (a6500). I had much better capture rate with the a6500 than my X-T2. That being said, the Sony a6500 ergonomics sucks so bad that I switch to Fuji.

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:08 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XT2/XT20 AF question

base on your bird pictures, XT-2 with 100-400 is not what you're looking for. XT-2 has a hard time to keep up with erratic motion or to separate the busy background. I still have and use Canon 1dx mkii with 400DO mkii lens. Until the new firmware for XT-2, i'm not using it for any BIF. Big slow fly bird, sure. Anything else, don't bother.

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:19 PM
zimman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Bubble wrote:
base on your bird pictures, XT-2 with 100-400 is not what you're looking for. XT-2 has a hard time to keep up with erratic motion or to separate the busy background. I still have and use Canon 1dx mkii with 400DO mkii lens. Until the new firmware for XT-2, i'm not using it for any BIF. Big slow fly bird, sure. Anything else, don't bother.

I agree with you. I am hoping that this coming week will be the week things change because of the rumoured firmware update.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM
kankushok
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Bubble wrote:

That's too bad. I was really hoping it would at least be competent if not ideal at BIF. Is the firmware upgrade to include the updates from the XE3 or something else? Will the xt20 also be updated at some point? The dpreview assessment of the xe3 seems to suggest we should temper our expectations for this new firmware update.

Nov 26, 2017 at 04:44 AM
zimman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XT2/XT20 AF question

kankushok wrote:
That's too bad. I was really hoping it would at least be competent if not ideal at BIF. Is the firmware upgrade to include the updates from the XE3 or something else? Will the xt20 also be updated at some point? The dpreview assessment of the xe3 seems to suggest we should temper our expectations for this new firmware update.

As far as I know, the firmware upgrade is supposed to include the XE3 update and the X-T20 will get an upgrade but it has been delayed.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:13 AM
zimman
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XT2/XT20 AF question

X-T2 firmware upgrade is coming on Thursday.

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t2-x-t20-gfx-50s-firmware-update-thursday-november-30/

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Sweet

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM
zimman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XT2/XT20 AF question

I just read the following:

Fujifilm will release a Firmware update for Fujifilm X-T2, X-T20 and GFX on November 30, 2017.

Regarding the X-T2, Fujifilm officially announced 4 new features/improvements:

New AF tracking algorithm for moving subject
Support “FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO”
Improve radio flash controller usability
Support for backup/restore of camera settings via FUJIFILM X Acquire

But I’m pleased to inform that, although Fujifilm officially does not mention it, I hear there will be more! And to be more precise the X-T2 will also get:

highlight overexposure blinkies
RGB color histogram
Now this is a serious X-T2 Kaizen update Well done Fuji.

Nov 29, 2017 at 09:31 AM
zimman
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XT2/XT20 AF question

Firmware update is here.

https://www.fujirumors.com

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:30 PM
thenoilif

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XT2/XT20 AF question

X-T20 firmware for AF is not included in this rollout and there is no sign that it will be.

As far af performance, yes, the X-system cameras are not as good as the Sony A7Rii, A7Riii, or A9 and I also think that the a6500 is better as well. The Sony eye-AF really sets it apart.

As far as the lenses, the FX 56 1.2 is not a good lens if you want good AF. You'll miss a lot of shots especially if the target makes quick sudden movement like a child or pet. Its can be usable for street and people if they are walking and you are good at handling a camera. The 35 1.4 and 23 1.4 are slightly better but still fall behind the F2 primes.

The thing with the Fuji X system is that if you want flexibility that includes fast AF and nice portraiture with shallow DoF and creamy bokeh, you wont get it in a single lens from 35mm to 85mm. You'll have to buy two lenses at each focal length.

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:48 AM
zimman
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · XT2/XT20 AF question

X-T20: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt20/index.html
Updated pages to the manual: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_xt20_manual_01_en.pdf

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:52 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · XT2/XT20 AF question

I can assure you that X-T2 BIF tracking is poor prior to the firmware released today. I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to test the new firmware.

I'm coming from a 1Dx and a 7D Mark II which were much better. However, when Fuji hits the target 100%, the images are sharper. It is just inconsistent at this time (pre v3 firmware).

Nov 30, 2017 at 03:21 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · XT2/XT20 AF question

I have a Canon DSLR system and a Fujifilm mirrorless system, both with contemporary bodies and excellent lenses.

I like my Fujifilm camera a lot and rely on the system for travel and street photography, some event photography, and occasional landscape-like photography.

I would never choose it over my DSLR system for bird photography.

Dan

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.