New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

Rumours are out that Panasonic have another launch next month. If they do, I am hoping it will be a GX9

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:22 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

Rumor mills have been busy since Thanksgiving (here "in the States") about a GH5 variant with low-light/high-ISO capabilities. Methinks folks looking for a lightweight, smaller, mid-range body from Panny will have to wait, er, "downstream" for the time being.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

Rumors so far say something in the line of low resolution GH5 for superior low light video work. My guess it will also be faster for many other things but we'll have to wait and see. My guess would be something in the line of 8-12mp sensor with very good low light capability. Something in the line of Panasonics response to the Sony A7s range.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

Anything less than 16mb would be disappointing IMO when the sensor size is already compromised, resolution-wise.

Wilbus wrote:
Rumors so far say something in the line of low resolution GH5 for superior low light video work. My guess it will also be faster for many other things but we'll have to wait and see. My guess would be something in the line of 8-12mp sensor with very good low light capability. Something in the line of Panasonics response to the Sony A7s range.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

bobbytan wrote:
Anything less than 16mb would be disappointing IMO when the sensor size is already compromised, resolution-wise.

My guess is they make a "pure" low light and 4K video performer with still photo capability. That way they would only really need 8,3mp. Let's say they add Cinema 4k or maybe even 5k with anamorphic capability and they need to increase that but I would still guess it's far lower then what most of us think is "sane": All to challenge the Sony A7s.

Nov 29, 2017 at 02:32 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

Was giving serious thought into either looking for a used A7s to complement my GH5 (a less than ideal solution considering I'd need 2x the lenses) or just waiting to see what the A7sIII ends up being and possibly switching completely (again less than ideal considering the price, size, weight, and holding back features of Sony).

Assuming it's a low light GH5 this would be great for me. Allows me to keep the old one for days I want to shoot stills and video, or just have a B-Cam, while potentially allowing me to get better quality when the light gets low.

Don't really care about resolution (I still have my dslr kit for that), but I would love if it came preloaded with v-log, had 10bit 4k/60 internal (and used something other than SD cards), and improved AF in video. Then give me clean ISO 6400 and usable 12800 and I'm definitely a buyer once I get the funds.

Nov 29, 2017 at 03:06 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Panasonic to be announced in December

tdlavigne wrote:
Was giving serious thought into either looking for a used A7s to complement my GH5 (a less than ideal solution considering I'd need 2x the lenses) or just waiting to see what the A7sIII ends up being and possibly switching completely (again less than ideal considering the price, size, weight, and holding back features of Sony).

Assuming it's a low light GH5 this would be great for me. Allows me to keep the old one for days I want to shoot stills and video, or just have a B-Cam, while potentially allowing me to get better quality when the light
...Show more

Hi tdlavigne,

Your observation about getting "better quality when the light gets low" really hits to the heart of the matter as to the true value in high-ISO shooting. For me, digital imaging blew open the doors as to what I can accomplish out in the field equipped only with camera and lens and relying on nature's available light. Being able to shoot cleanly up to ISO 1600 with my 30D was a revelation coming from film. The 5D Mark II pushed that boundary to a clean ISO 6400 (and pushing to 25,600 for a noisy ID shot). My a6300 replaces that ISO capability while giving me better AF and burst shooting (as needed).

But, at the end of the day (quite literally) once the sun has set, this level of gear takes me maybe a half-hour-or-so into twilight to catch birds settling in for the evening or catching the nocturnal dwellers perhaps making an early appearance. My a7s II extends that time a short while depending on ambient human lighting in the environment or moonlight but that comes with the hit to fps and AF abilities. This video says it all as to what one can accomplish ISO-wise by moonlight with an a7s-series...

Sony Alpha A7s sample video - moonlight - YouTube:

...This transition time of day has been my new playground since my 5D2 days (yay, digital!) and I'm constantly on the lookout for newer gear that helps push that envelope further.

From my usage and for my needs, Sony's bodies don't play well with adapted glass and, frankly, their rolling shutter and IBIS for handheld telephoto stills and, especially, video work are still "not just there" yet. ("Run-and-gun" bushwhacking nature shooting anyone?! ) And I'll spare every here another rant about Sony's poor ergonomics, well, "for this user, anyways".

From my brief investigations so far (since encountering a GH5/100-400 combo for some hands-on) it seems to me that the MFT world has got image-stabilization fairly-well locked down and that the 20MP-series MFT bodies can provide me my current ISO 6400 performance criteria. That this rumored Panasonic "low-light/high-ISO" mystery cam proves to be real and it can push MFT performance to ISO 25,600, nay 51,200, nay beyond (always dream and ask big! ) then I can easily see an equipment shake-up occurring on my end in 2018. As it is, my a6300 will be "put to a death match" with either a GH5 or G9 come the new year.

As always, exciting times in digital imaging!
Jimmy G

Dec 01, 2017 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.