New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

Peggy, you should be anyway to protect your hearing.

I have been using them for more than a decade but even then I still had tinnitus for about two months last year after probably the loudest band I have ever seen - Moe from Norway (who knew three small Norwegian's could be so LOUD). I thought it was going to be permanent and it isn't nice. I have spent a lot of time next to the speakers though trying to get angle shots of all the band members for many years and pics without a mic in the face.

Rule number one for shooting live music to me has always been- wear earplugs.

Nov 26, 2017 at 08:52 PM
pasblues
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

notherenow wrote:
Peggy, you should be anyway to protect your hearing.

I have been using them for more than a decade but even then I still had tinnitus for about two months last year after probably the loudest band I have ever seen - Moe from Norway (who knew three small Norwegian's could be so LOUD). I thought it was going to be permanent and it isn't nice. I have spent a lot of time next to the speakers though trying to get angle shots of all the band members for many years and pics without a mic in the face.

Rule
...Show more

Yes, "Mic mouth" is a pet peeve.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

pasblues wrote:
"Why aren't you shooting the stars? (there are some stars on the backdrop with the venue's logo on it if you shoot straight on from the front)"

uhmmmm, everyone sees things differently, I guess

"I would shoot with the stars, you should get the stars" - walks away

You should've told her.. "If you touch my gear again, you WILL see stars...."

Nov 27, 2017 at 04:10 PM
prairietom
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

I hated photographers that always wanted to tell you how to do it. But one guy came up and said "I'll bet you need to know more about image software than your camera." I talked to him.

Nov 27, 2017 at 07:19 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

prairietom wrote:
I hated photographers that always wanted to tell you how to do it. But one guy came up and said "I'll bet you need to know more about image software than your camera." I talked to him.

I used to love talking to the interns who came in to work for the summers at the papers. They were fresh off the classroom floor with the latest and greatest software information. Believe me, I'm gonna be down with somebody who brings something to the conversation. But that was in an office setting where we were actually working together and it was part of our jobs to share information.

What is baffling me is people who feel the need to 1) Tell me they are also a photographer and 2) Tell me how I should be shooting what I'm shooting.

I haven't had this happen before - in 30 years of shooting professionally.

This last fella opened with "I was a big time concert photographer back in the 70s..." but then wanted to tell me how to not get the shadow of the mic on the performers faces. I told him I didn't have that problem. So, he got mad at me and said "Oh, I didn't know I was talking to a Prima Donna."

Whaaaaa?

Nov 27, 2017 at 07:37 PM
Michael Everet
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

the weird conversation aside -- and it was weird -- that is a very nice image. The BW processing and the tonalities are excellent.

Nov 28, 2017 at 09:44 PM
MrGubrz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

omg
wait
was she womansplaining to you?! is that a thing now?!

Nov 29, 2017 at 01:04 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

Michael Everet wrote:
the weird conversation aside -- and it was weird -- that is a very nice image. The BW processing and the tonalities are excellent.

I appreciate your kind words.

Nov 29, 2017 at 02:25 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

pasblues wrote:
I told him I didn't have that problem. So, he got mad at me and said "Oh, I didn't know I was talking to a Prima Donna."

Whaaaaa?

There's a medical term for his behavior. It's called the "tiny dick syndrome". It also affects those with small hands.

Nov 29, 2017 at 08:31 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

dmacmillan wrote:
There's a medical term for his behavior. It's called the "tiny dick syndrome". It also affects those with small hands.

But you are right dmacmillan, the words spoken say a lot more about the person speaking the words. It brings to mind what the poet Robert Browning demonstrated so well.

Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister

Nov 29, 2017 at 02:41 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

pasblues wrote:
I feel for the guys and gals out there photographing because camera size does make a difference in ergonomics. There's a lot of guys with huge hands who might feel more comfortable with something bigger and more substantial in their hands. I don't know...guys? What do you think? The Sonys and Fujis are pretty small and light.

I shot a community parade for Veterans Day and had a lighter zoom lens on the Fuji just to take the lens out for a test drive. It's a 55-200mm and substantially lighter weight than the 50-140mm I normally shoot with for long range.
...Show more

I'm a 6'1" guy who is reasonably strong with big hands. And I'll take a smaller camera (or even two with different lenses) over a large one every time. I actually have a hard time imagining what images I would miss, and I have lots of experience shooting with f/2.8 zooms at events.

I don't think of large cameras as being more "ergonomic" or "balanced." Yuck - not for me. Been there done that - they're competent but a serious pain to handle for longer than a few hours. If I never have to use another vertical gripped "pro" camera body with a speed-lite and 70-200 f/2.8 zoom attached, it'll be too soon.

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:56 AM
mixlikes

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

Nice thread interesting stories are shared by every member.

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:18 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

Arka wrote:
I'm a 6'1" guy who is reasonably strong with big hands. And I'll take a smaller camera (or even two with different lenses) over a large one every time. I actually have a hard time imagining what images I would miss, and I have lots of experience shooting with f/2.8 zooms at events.

I don't think of large cameras as being more "ergonomic" or "balanced." Yuck - not for me. Been there done that - they're competent but a serious pain to handle for longer than a few hours. If I never have to use another vertical gripped "pro" camera
...Show more

I think wrists apparently are vulnerable joints for many photographers. It's interesting to hear from someone who is much bigger expressing concerns about the size of camera equipment. And, also, when the length of time one has to handle equipment is factored in, there's even more to consider.

For me, without really thinking about it, I have learned to pace myself shooting to reduce potential strain. But some of that is the tension from shooting. If I had to add more weight to that, the strain would be (and has been) much greater.

I know when I went to first seriously look at mirrorless earlier this year that I also looked at the Nikon 810 body. After handling the Fuji X-T2 and then picking up the 810, I couldn't believe the difference. The 810 was almost twice the weight.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:18 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

pasblues wrote:
I think wrists apparently are vulnerable joints for many photographers. It's interesting to hear from someone who is much bigger expressing concerns about the size of camera equipment. And, also, when the length of time one has to handle equipment is factored in, there's even more to consider.

For me, without really thinking about it, I have learned to pace myself shooting to reduce potential strain. But some of that is the tension from shooting. If I had to add more weight to that, the strain would be (and has been) much greater.

I know when I went to first seriously
...Show more

The Nikon D8xx bodies are big and the pro bodies are even bigger and more ungainly. And on the smaller bodies people love to tack on ungainly battery grips which increase their weight and bulk. I keep on hearing that this increases ergonomics, but I've never found that advantage to outbalance the overall bulk of these cameras, and the long term effects holding them for hours on end has on the wrists, shoulders, and lower back. You can get hip-based carrying support for all this stuff (backpacks, belt-packs), but those can't help with damage wrought from shooting all day with a pro-body + 2.8 zoom lens (or worse, 2 such bodies).

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:58 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

dmacmillan wrote:

a "pro" shooting with Fuji with small hands
... "Buh-iieve me !!

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Dec 02, 2017 at 07:45 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

CW100 wrote:
a "pro" shooting with Fuji with small hands
... "Buh-iieve me !!

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Be assured my "small hands" comment had nothing to do with photographers or the size of Fuji cameras.

Dec 02, 2017 at 08:58 PM
ronan_M

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

pasblues wrote:
I'm not posting this because I am upset about it - more amused, I guess - but I was shooting for a musician last night and a lady came up to me, touching my cameras setting on my gear table and apparently felt I was open game for chatting....

"Are you shooting for (name of venue owner)?"

No, I have my own publication (hand her my card)

"Are those Nikons?" (puts her hands on my cameras)

no, Fujis (hoping she is going to quickly take her hands off my cameras and not pick them up

"I'm a photographer"

oh?

"Why aren't you shooting the stars?
...Show more

Dunno man...that image is good but....it could definitely use more stars on the backdrop. Lesson learnt for you then.

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:18 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

What I have learnt is that people are weird.

(says I surfing Fredmiranda, while eating peanut butter toast with a cat on my lap).

Great photo - composition, lighting and timing.

p.s that 'are those Nikons?' comment reminds me of motorcycling. People would come up to me and read the name on the gas tank of my bike:
"Ducati? Who makes that?"

Mar 06, 2018 at 10:31 AM
JulietS

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

somebody would touch my camera and i would bite his head off

+1 on earplugs. they make now in skin color completely hidden one if you do not want to look ridiculous wearing them / have hairs to cover

Mar 06, 2018 at 03:44 PM
Denny JetTone

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Another photographer "advised" me on assignment

Yes, very weird behavior by odd people.

And regarding earplugs – yes.

I don’t worry about looking ridiculous wearing them, though (in orange, blue, or purple) – just a necessary part of our accoutrements.

Most of the shows and concerts that I shoot don’t need plugs and for those that do, -33dB plugs are fine in most cases.

However, the last time that I shot a jet-engine-at-25-feet event, I decided to add a pair of shooting earmuffs on top of the -33 plugs. I did get a few comments but I have no idea what they were.

-Denny

Mar 06, 2018 at 06:26 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.