FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Monobella grassei A Springtail Which Cannot Jump

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monobella grassei A Springtail Which Cannot Jump

The springtails (Collembola) which live on plants, on the surface of soil, and in similar, exposed habitats, tend to have a well-developed springer, with which they can make spectacular leaps. Those which live where this is not very useful, such as in the soil, under rotting wood, and such like, have rudimentary springers or none at all.That is the general situation but is not so clear cut.

This species is one of the latter group. It lives in highly organic habitats, such as under rotting fallen branches. Mine are to be found on the undersides of rotting logs. The species is supposed to be common but my garden is the first place I have recognised it, in spite of collecting in many habitats and locations in the 1960s and 1970s.

This one is deep yellowish and up about 2mm long. One of the recognition features of the genus is the raised areas of coarsely-granulated dorsal skin, which show up as paler in these images. (Shown best towards the rear end in the fourth image).

I have taken a large number of such images of this species. That it constantly walks around on a very three-dimensional substrate makes it a very difficult subject. The images are not as good as I would like but the subject may be of interest. The last one shows that they tend to be gregarious.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 x2TS, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, Raynox MSN-202, triple flash.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:47 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monobella grassei A Springtail Which Cannot Jump

Interesting Harold ~ Ron

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:44 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.