New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Is anyone successfully using a wireless remote release on a Fujifilm X-Pro2 or similar Fujifilm camera? If so, can you share brand, model, and a bit about your experience with it?

I already know about the Fujifilm smartphone app, but I prefer to not have to rely on having the phone with me. I also have the Fujifilm wired release, but I have a cable port access issue that I'm trying to work around.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

(If all else fails I can always resort to using my old-school mechanical cable release!)

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:28 PM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

I haven't seen or used one. I use the Fuji wired release and cell phone app myself.

Nov 02, 2017 at 08:25 PM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

I use an old-school cable release. Perfect for the large majority of what I do. For anything not easily done with the cable release, I use my iPhone with the Cascables app (free version). It works much better and has much more functionality than the Fuji app.

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:56 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Hahnel?

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:14 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

spoupard wrote:
I use an old-school cable release. Perfect for the large majority of what I do. For anything not easily done with the cable release, I use my iPhone with the Cascables app (free version). It works much better and has much more functionality than the Fuji app.

Unless I hear a better suggestion soon, I'm likely to use the "old-school cable release." I have at least one, and I could pick up a newer, good one for not too much money.

I've used the Fujifilm iPhone app, and it seems to work well once I get everything configured. The issue here, though, is that in the specific circumstances in which I'm most likely to want to use the remote release with my Fujifilm system I also do not want to deal with the smartphone.

(Explanation: A large portion of my photography is landscape work, done with a non-Fujifilm system and working from the tripod. I'm often on foot and sometimes in the backcountry for days or even more than a week, in places where the smart phone is pretty much dead weight. On a few occasions I have taken the smaller and lighter Fujifilm system with a smaller tripod in order to save weight, but the L-bracket design for Fujifilm doesn't allow enough room for the cabled release attachment when the camera is in portrait mode.)

What would be ideal, I think, would be a small, dedicated wireless remote of some sort.

jecottrell wrote:
Hahnel?

Thanks. I've heard of this. Can you share your experience with it?

And, unfortunately, adding the receiver to the camera would seem to create two problems. One, the device (transmitter and receiver) start to be as large as a smartphone. Two, from the pictures it appears that the receiver's plug would still run afoul of my L-bracket.

Thanks,

Dan

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:22 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

One thing I really liked about my Nikons was the IR remote. It was nice not having to connect to the phone and run an app. It was as simple as putting the camera in the proper mode and pressing the button on the remote. I wish Fuji had this capability.

I've been thinking about getting a Pluto, but you still have the same problem with the cable. It sure would be nice if they would put a right angle connector on the cable.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Ok, so it's the first time I tried my wireless remote with my X-T2. I have the Yongnuo RF-603C. I originally bought it a couple of years ago for a family vacation on Hawaii. At the time I used it with my Canon G1 X and it worked great. Had the camera on a Gorillapod wrapped around the handle of our stroller and presto, instant mobile tripod. I used it this way so I could be in the pictures with the family instead of behind the viewfinder. It seemed to work ok with my Fuji. But I'll be honest, I like using the phone app better. The app worked great when I just took another family vacation this past weekend.

Edited on Nov 03, 2017 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:41 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

gdanmitchell wrote:
Unless I hear a better suggestion soon, I'm likely to use the "old-school cable release." I have at least one, and I could pick up a newer, good one for not too much money.

I've used the Fujifilm iPhone app, and it seems to work well once I get everything configured. The issue here, though, is that in the specific circumstances in which I'm most likely to want to use the remote release with my Fujifilm system I also do not want to deal with the smartphone.

(Explanation: A large portion of my photography is landscape work, done with a non-Fujifilm
...Show more

Now that I think of it maybe a smartphone is a questionable choice to delete from your kit? You could get injured and need to call for emergency services. A cell phone can help locate you as well with GPS. Perhaps taking the phone with the Fuji Remote app solves both problems.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:49 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

rbf_ wrote:
Now that I think of it maybe a smartphone is a questionable choice to delete from your kit? You could get injured and need to call for emergency services. A cell phone can help locate you as well with GPS. Perhaps taking the phone with the Fuji Remote app solves both problems.

To be honest, the smartphone is often hidden away somewhere deep in my pack, but I don't take it out on the trail. Most places I go in the backcountry there is no cell signal. And using the thing creates issues with charging and so forth. I use a solar charging system on some trips, particularly when we use pack train support, but I generally don't carry it when I'm self-contained and on foot.

At this point it is looking like the good old fashioned cable release may be my best bet.

Dan

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Codda

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Yongnuo RF-603C - works great ... better than the phone App. No fumbling and bumbling to get a connection. Set your camera to change the Mic jack to remote release and your in - stupid simple.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:22 AM
Codda

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Yongnuo RF-603C - works great ... better than the phone App. No fumbling and bumbling to get a connection. Set your camera to change the Mic jack to remote release and your in - stupid simple... and cheap.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Thanks.

However, in my case I'm afraid that isn't going to resolve my particular issue either. Let me explain. I have the RRS L-bracket for the XPro2, Unfortunately the spacing of the L portion of the bracket — the part that allows the camera to be mounted on the tripod in portrait mode — is too small to permit the Fujifilm cabled remote release to work correctly. (I can kind of fake it by sliding the camera and bracket halfway out of the clamp, but that is a rather funky "solution!")

So nothing that attaches to any of the three electronic ports under the small door on the side of the camera will resolve my issue. A separate and standalone wireless remote (that doesn't need a special receiver attached to the camera) would do, but so far I can't see that such a thing is available. The smartphone app works — it doesn't require a separate receiver — but for reasons I partially explained above that won't be an ideal solution in my use case.

So, I'm leaning toward using a traditional mechanical cable release. Simple, effective, inexpensive, and light... and the Fujifilm cameras are designed to still work with them! It will be just like the old days when I shot film cameras... :-)

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Dan

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Dan,

I have a 24” Leica “old fashioned” cable release that works fine. I have a small Velcro “strap” at about the 18” mark (from the attachment to the camera’s shutter button) that I attach to my ball head, so that the whole weight of the cable release isn’t “hanging” from the treaded center of the shutter button (you’ll find that a bit “wobbly”). Silky smooth, and I find that the secondary “attachment” to the ball head on the plunger end aids in “isolation” between cable release “business end” and the attachment screw-in on the shutter button.

As an aside, let me say that for the life of me, I can’t understand why RRS and others don’t put the “L” on the other end of the camera. All that would be blocked is the SD card door, which IMO is MUCH less problematic than the “other end.” In fact, for my X-Pro 2, I’m using an Acratech “universal” L bracket for exactly this reason. I can “reverse it” on the camera, allowing full access to the “ports door.” My comments above are re using the RRS L bracket (the one for camera w/ grip attached) on my X-T2.

Rand

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

^^^

I finally got a very nice Nikon old-school cable release that works great. Fortunately the Fujifilm shutter release buttons are designed with a physical "port" for these.

I'm with you on the issues with the design of the L-brackets, at least for the X-Pro2.

I own a lot of RRS equipment — other heads, clamps, etc. — and I like and trust their gear. It is usually impeccably designed and constructed, and I will continue to use it. However, I am very disappointed in the RRS XPro2 L-bracket design. The whole point of the L-bracket is to be able to quickly move the camera to portrait orientation in the bracket and, given that we're working from the tripod here, use the remote release. Yet the design precludes use of the remote release port in portrait mode!*

The base plate portion of the bracket, which is separate from the L portion, is excellent — small, light, unobtrusive. But the L-bracket attachment is the first RRS product that I cannot recommend, at least not to those who intend to use the Fujifilm or similar electronic remote releases. Realistically, with this L-bracket, you will have to use either an old-school mechanical cable release or an electronic version that adds an external receiver unit to the camera.

While it would make the unit less compact, RRS could solve this by simply having the L portion of the bracket stand off a bit further. While that would make the unit bit larger/wider... at least it would work!

Dan

* It is possible to "fake" the use of electronic remote release cable by sliding the camera half way out of the clamp so that it barely clears, but that is a very funky "solution."

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:20 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

gdanmitchell wrote:
...but I have a cable port access issue that I'm trying to work around.

Dan,

I stumbled upon something that may work for you. It should allow access to the side ports on the camera for wired remote, while at the same time allowing quick change from portrait landscape. I have just ordered one of these and haven't yet received it, so I can't really vouch for it. However, if you do a youtube search for "folding tripod head," you will find lots of demos.

The only downside I can see is that it may be heavier that what you want to carry to the back country.

The real deal: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325934-REG/edelkrone_80236_flextilt_head2.html

Cheap Chinese copy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772T5JXP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I don't do photography for a living, I opted for the cheap one. I figure that if it's not very good quality, but it appears to do what I want, then I will splurge for the more expensive one.

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:43 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Interesting. At this point I'm going with the tried-and-true old-school mechanical cable release. :-)

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Good idea, Dan. As a longtime 4x5 photographer, I am very comfortable with cable releases, and with one on my Fuji's, I enjoy that simple method along with the sound it makes. No batteries to die on you at the worse time!

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:16 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

^^^
I have to say that I do like the retro, memory-inspiring feeling of using a good cable release. ;-)

Edited on Nov 28, 2017 at 07:41 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wireless Remote Release For XPro2

Ok, What am I missing? I have the Yongnuo RF-603N, Nikon's version and it doesn't work on my X-T2. Does the C-version have a different cable?

EDIT: Did a little researching and the Nikon version DOES have a different cable from the Canon. Which means, the X-T2 doesn't have that type of plug.

Nov 28, 2017 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.