Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

I currently shoot Nikon and Have a D3s and D500 as my main bodies and haven't touched the D3s all season long so thinking of selling it along with some lenses but hate to part with it as it's such a great camera. I mainly shoot weddings as a second shooter so I need something that is reliable, focuses fast in low light, and has great image quality. I love my D500 but use mainly Sigma Art lenses which are inconsistent with focus. I am looking for a second setup and wondering if Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 would work if anybody is using them like this?

I have tried many M4/3 setups in the past and none have worked enough to try for weddings. I had an Olympus EM-1 but low light and focus weren't there and I hated the menu and controls. I also had a few Panasonic (Gh3 and Gh4) and like the menu, controls, and image quality but honestly didn't use either that much and sold them for other gear I needed. I also briefly tried Fujifilm XT-2 but didn't like the controls and only used it for maybe 1/2 hour so not enough time to give an opinion. I am basically looking to make an investment into a lighter backup system with no SF fine tuning issues I am having now and I would use it for personal use as well for a travel setup and with my family. I would hope it would eventually be my primary system if it works out. Any thoughts and is anybody using this setup as a primary system for weddings and events? I have no idea and don't want to invest in another system unless it will work.

Oct 25, 2017 at 03:02 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Too late here (or rather, I am too tired) to give a lengthy reply right now but I have used the E-M1 (not mark II) as my only body (sometimes with the original E-M5) for weddings for several years. I don't shoot professionally but more freelance and a few weddings a year.

I just received a GH5 which I will try just a little bit before deciding on wether to keep it or not (waiting for more rumours regarding the new Panasonic stills oriented camera).

Will give a better reply from an Olympus perspective tomorrow!

/Rasmus

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:00 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Thank you so much, I totally understand.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Ok so good morning!

Now, still early, still tired so any and all typing or grammar errors will be blamed on lack of coffee or lack of sleep or both.

Short answer yes they work and they work great, you might have to change how you shoot if you are used to something special, but then again that goes for anything no matter what system you change from or to. They are not less capable, just different.

I bought the Original E-M5 in 2012 and shortly after I sold my Nikon D700 and 24-70 F2.8 lens, a great combo but I was in a period where I wanted to learn street shooting and the D700 felt too big for me. Granted, I haven't gotten in to much street shooting with Olympus either but the smaller system has been great in many other ways.

So, like you I use(d) Nikon, high end bodies and one high end lens plus an older 50mm F1.4 AF lens.

Now, first of all, I received a GH5 yesterday, I am allowed to test it in a limited way (more or less a few shots, play around with the menus but not much more) which means I can give a quick opinion on it but not much more.

The E-M5 has served me well for quite a few years, including weddings where I used two E-M5's paired with the Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 and Olympus 45mm F1.8 for the first years. Low light focusing was not an issue for me apart from a few occasions.

The E-M1 which I added a little bit later is another beast, it focuses faster (though the E-M5 was plenty fast for the most part) and shoots faster. The viewfinder is superb and the screen is good, though not up to D500 standards as far as the screen goes. I much prefer an electronic viewfinder now, I tested a D500 a couple of weeks back and felt right away "how much better this camera would be with a good EVF".

Even though I have used Olympus for a long time there are things I miss which is why I ordered the GH5 last week. Things that might make a difference to you as a Nikon shooter and this is mainly the layout of the camera.

You said before you hate the menus and controls of the Olympus. In many ways I agree with you. I haven't had any real problems with either but when trying this Panasonic it feels more like "home" and much closer to Nikon. Panasonic has got external dials and knobs for the most important things. Wanna change AF mode? Flip the switch. Wanna change to burst mode? Turn the knob. The Gh5 also has the new sort of joystick for AF selection, same as the D500. I have never been comfortable with changing AF points with the 4 way switch while looking through the viewfinder, my thumb has had a hard time bending in that way.
So I have never liked pressing a button and turning a dial in order to change a setting, this is the Olympus way for the most part. Once you learn it, it's fast but I still feel more at home with knobs and dials.

The menus is another issue that I haven't had any issues with but yes, they could be better and some things simply should be easier to access. Again, the GH5 is much more modern here.

So back to weddings, like I said I've shot quite a few weddings with the E-M1 (not Mark II). The Mark II should be better at everything but according to what I have understood there isn't much difference as far as single autofocus speed goes. May I ask what lenses you used with the E-M1 when you tried it? As you find the AF slow I mean.
Most of my weddings are in poorly lit churches, the last wedding was seriously bad as far as light goes. There were fairly small windows in a small church and heavy rain outside so not an ideal set up for a small sensor. As long as the bride and groom don't move too much, which they usually don't the E-M1, and even more so the E-M1.2 catches up to the larger sensors thanks to superb in body stabilisation. Yes a Nikon D5 will have two stops or more better ISO but the IBIS more then makes up for this as long as there is no movement. If there is movement though there simply is no substitute for speed.
The GH5 has added IBIS as well, very quick tests for me tell me it is on par with the original E-M1 but not as good as the E-M1.2 (nothing is, specially not when paired with the 12-100mm F4 lens).
As far as speed form the E-M1 goes in a church there is no problem, it's a really fast camera and this includes sports shooting for me (kite surfing as of late). The original E-M1 is not a good camera when it comes to tracking, the E-M1.2 is much better but still not up to D500 standards (you can read more in the E-M1.2 picture thread).
EVF works great in all light conditions IMO, I know some people say they have a problem in bright light but not so with the E-M1 (I suspect the GH5 is at least as good most likely better). I have shot in conditions from almost complete darkness to super bright summer mid day light and super bright winter and snow mid day light and the EVF is ALWAYS easy to see through.
The original E-M1 EVF is not good for tracking FAST subjects that change directions though but the E-M1.2 with 18fps and C-AF should be no problem. However, I am still to shoot a wedding where I would need that

A few questions for you.

You didn't like the original E-M1 due to focus issues (lens problem?) and due to menus and control layout. The E-M1.2 has got the same control layout and more or less the same menu system (though updated). The body is a bit chunkier, nicer to hold and still built like a tank but more or less, it will feel very similar though better to hold. The battery is the best in the business as far as mirrorless goes.
You also said you liked the GH3 and GH4 as far as controls and menus go but you didn't use them much and sold them. Why didn't you use them? No fun? Problems? Not good enough quality?

The GH5 is much like the GH4 as far as build goes but larger and heavier as well as better built. I tried a GH4 about two years ago (was thinking of adding it to my Olympus) but quickly put it down since the EVF was horrible. It was soft in the corners, small, dark and hard to use. The GH5 fixes all that, the EVF is freaking amazing.
The GH5 feels a bit like the D500 but in a smaller package. It is quite a bit larger then the E-M1 and even the E-M1.2 but my first impressions are that it's not too big. Will have to handle it some more today and see how it feels.

I tried a few shots indoors last night when I got home with it and compared to the E-M1 the focus was blazing fast with no hunting. I only tried it in bad condition, TV and incandescent lightning, ISO 2000 with Panasonic 25mm F1.4 lens at F1.4 gave me 1/50th to 1/60th shutter speed so it was pretty dang dark. The shots from both cameras (tried them next to each other, switching lens) came out sharp but what surprised me was when I changed to the E-M1 the focus was much slower and it hunted twice before locking focus, it took maybe half a second but that felt like half a second more then the GH5. It was just lightning fast.

Image quality from m43 is truly great, no it's not ISO gazillion perfect (helped thanks to IBIS) neither is it 40+ mp but I wouldn't want 40+ mp for a wedding anyway.

Also, if you are a prime shooter, Olympus just announced two new F1.2 lenses to go with the prior 25mm F1.2. The 45mm F1.2 and 17mm F1.2 will be released in November and early next year. These two lenses, with no focus calibration (like you mentioned you wanted to get away from) are weather sealed, well build and fast focusing. Add to that fact something that I do like about m43, which is more depth of field when shooting an indoors wedding in bad light is that while you might haves to down a FF lens from F1.4 (or 1.2 if you use such a lens) to F2.8 or so in order to stand a chance of getting not only the brides lashes in focus you can stay at F1.2 with the m43 lenses, this too helps getting back some ISO drawbacks in a poorly lit church.

I'll give you some more impressions later today as well as post a few shots from the latest wedding if you wish.

/Rasmus

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:28 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

I can't thank you enough for everything and that was a huge help. I am at work so just read it quickly but will respond to everything when I can but wanted to thank you for such an honest and helpful answer.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

My pleasure

Like I said, will add some more to it soon. I've had the chance to try the GH5 some more today but will make a longer reply in the morning most likely!

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Thank you so much, the Gh5 really intrigues me as I think it's the closest setup to Nikon. I really liked the gh3 and gh4 I had very briefly.

Oct 26, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

My pleasure, hopefully it helps

I've had some more time with the GH5 and like I said before, it feels very very good. It feels like a much newer camera then my "old" E-M1 from 2013, as it should. But it also feels more modern then the E-M1.2 that I have handled a few times in store.

The focus is indeed lightning fast, in most cases quite a bit faster then my E-M1 which, in it self, is no slouch.
The few times it misses the focus "hunting" is so fast that it almost locks again. Even if you get back and forth once or twice it is much faster then my E-M1 when it does it. I was actually surprised at how much faster it is then the original E-M1.

A bad thing with it though, and something I suggest you check when you get it is that in many situations, while in 225 area mode but with only one point selected (centre point for the most part) it focuses two points to the left, always to the left and no matter what point I choose. I think it may be a faulty camera and have contacted the retailer, no matter what I will return it for another one. Note though this is FW 1.0 and it might be that FW 2.0 would fix that. I am quite sure if this was an issue with the GH5 in general we would have heard about it and I have found nothing about it when searching so most likely not an issue with other units. Having said that, it could also be that I don't know how the 225 AF area works. Maybe it selects points around the focus point you have selected even though only only one point is selected. It wouldn't make much sense but it could be a possibility. Some more testing to be done perhaps or try a different unit.

Overall body construction feels good, not quite up to the tank build of the E-M1.2 or even E-M1 (few cameras are, including high end PRO DSLR bodies). It's larger then the E-M1 and heavier, slightly too large for liking but I think I would get used to it quite fast and I think it will feel tiny for you, even when compared to the D500 not to mention the D3S. There is something special with the E-M1 bodies that just makes them feel "right" in my hand. However, that comes at the expense of having a too hard time reaching some buttons as well as having to push a button and then making an adjustment. The GH5 is better here, more actual knobs, two that I miss on the E-M1 are AF/AFS/MF knob and the "drive mode" changing from single shot or sequential shooting. This can be reprogrammed to other buttons though and I think I will finally take a moment and sit down with my E-M1 and see if I can't make it more "mine".
Also, the GH5 is smarter when it comes to the buttons. If you want to change AF mode from, say, 225 to pin-point you have many options. One of the best and fastest I have found so far, apart from using the touchscreen was to simply press that AF options button and press it to cycle the options. No need to press it once, then turn a wheel. Just simply press it three times for example. This will quickly imprint in ones head if you use two modes often, you'll know that pressing the button three or four times will bring you to pin-point or whatever mode you are after.

The EVF is nothing short of fantastic for the most part. Resolution is very high, it's quick and responsive. As far as lag goes, I think this is something that is more or less gone on all EVF's. The E-M1 was already very good, the E-M1.2 is the best there is as far as lag and delay goes and the GH5 is probably somewhere in between those two.

Menus are miles ahead of Olympus. I am used to Olympus menus now and feel they work fine but Panasonic shows how it should be done.
Touch screen is another area where I think every camera company should take after Panasonic, they have really gone the extra mile with the touch capabilities. You can do pretty much everything with the screen you can use more or less every menu item, you can change focus area even when in the EVF by dragging a finger over the screen (same as the E-M1.2)

Panasonic really gets most things right. I think if you are coming from Nikon D500 in particular you will pick it up very quickly! For me, I will continue and evaluate and see if I add it or maybe wait a while longer and stay with the E-M1. Maybe even try and skip this generation of cameras and get some more high end lenses instead, this would be the smarter choice.

Oh an by the way @pcrit even if you don't read the rest of the post, read this please. Panasonic will have an announcement on the 6:th of November. Rumors say they will announce a new high end stills oriented camera and most likely in the GH5 body. If you are a stills shooter more then a video shooter this might be worth waiting for and this is a reason I will keep the GH5 on hold as well. The GH5 is a professional stills camera as it is, super fast AF, 9fps with C-AF, 12 FPS with locked AF, focus bracketing and so many other functions. But if Panasonic is going after the E-M1.2 for example, this new one could be very interesting.

/Rasmus

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:22 AM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Hi pcrit.

As a bit of related follow-up to Wilbus comments (above) regarding the GH5 IBIS...

Yes a Nikon D5 will have two stops or more better ISO but the IBIS more then makes up for this as long as there is no movement. If there is movement though there simply is no substitute for speed.
The GH5 has added IBIS as well, very quick tests for me tell me it is on par with the original E-M1 but not as good as the E-M1.2 (nothing is, specially not when paired with the 12-100mm F4 lens).

...I just had an interesting encounter with a GH5 and Panny/Leica 100-400mm at the PhotoPlus expo in NYC earlier this week.

While getting the run-through on the camera from the Panny rep I noticed something odd (from my experience) and fascinating going on with this camera/lens combo that I'd never encountered before...the body and lens IS (Dual-IS in their parlance) were always at work with no interaction from me! While testing AF and ISO response pointing into the dark nether regions in the rafters while the rep talked I realized that the viewfinder image was "staying put" and not shaking from my hands whatsoever even though I was engaging with no controls at all! And, all of this at the far end of the lens at 400mm, 800mm EFL!

I looked up from the camera...it still palmed in my hand looking upwards...and commented to the rep (and my sweetie), "I'm not touching any buttons and this image is still rock steady!" I then asked, "I don't need to be doing anything for the IS to work, like hold down a back-focus button or shutter to engage it?!" The rep smiled a bit and then went into demonstrating how both camera and lens IS functions worked!

The gears in my head were already spinning..."Hrmm, I could maybe trade off half my shutter speed for a one-stop gain in poor light and lower my ISO?" (I sometimes shoot birds under deep canopy, sometimes on deep cloudy days.) I then spun around and pointed at the Sigma pavilion and the 300-800mm standing tall at the display and told the rep that I currently shoot with that beast when conditions are optimal, and I'm up for the exercise of lugging it around over my shoulder on a tripod, and said, "So, let me get this right...this little combo (GH5/100-400, EFL 200-800) basically can do what that monster and a 7D/a6300 are currently offering me?" "But with Dual-IS", he says.

I bring all this up as I would have to concur with Wilbus that it might just be worth your time to investigate whether M4/3 IBIS functionality along with Dual-IS lens functionality offers acceptable, er, "exposure compensation" for low-light situations as he described. I've got to think that fast, short FL Dual-IS lenses are going to negate tripods and help mitigate the need for higher ISOs (where applicable) based on my brief 400mm encounter! As for me, my curiosity is certainly peaked and I'll be trying out an adapted 120-300mm Sport on a GH5 (which will give me IBIS but no lens OS) along the way to determine where the breaking point is with my a6300's superior ISO-performance sensor. Yes, in the deep dark woods.

Best of luck in exploring M4/3 land for weddings...I'm a newbie here, too!

Oct 28, 2017 at 09:52 AM
kp_duffy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

not trying to take over the conversation but from those using Panny vs Olympus - any differences of significance when using flash, either TTL or off-camera, or are both brands' flagships (e-M1mk2 vs gh5) about the same?

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:01 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

kp_duffy wrote:
not trying to take over the conversation but from those using Panny vs Olympus - any differences of significance when using flash, either TTL or off-camera, or are both brands' flagships (e-M1mk2 vs gh5) about the same?

Wish I could answer but I can't really, I haven't used much flash at all with Olympus and nothing with the GH5. However, Olympus recentlt started some kind of cooperation with Profoto which brings a lot of (expensive) possibilities.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:31 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Sorry for not responding until now, I lost power for three days and just got it back. The feedback has been very helpful and I know I can't go wrong with either setup. I am leaning towards Panasonic and waiting for the November 6th news. I had a G7 and sold it and could never get used to the body but the GHx series is much better for my needs. I will mainly shoot stills so hoping the body is similar.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Ouch, power loss for three days? Hope all is well now!

Yes the GH5 body was slightly too large for me (would get used to it) but it also felt great, everything was where I wanted it and easy to reach, not too far away and not too close.
I have never tried a G7 body but like you I'm hoping for a GH5 kind of body.

We'll see on Monday

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:31 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Yes we will, fingers crossed it's what we are looking for.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:36 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

The specs on the new G9 look great! I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:16 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

pcrit wrote:
The specs on the new G9 look great! I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Yes they do!

Well, slightly cheaper than the E-M1.2 so not all that expensive...

Well, depending on what one will do. For weddings, there are probably better cameras, like a slower full frame like a Nikon D750 or similar. Unless one is already invested in m43 that is

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:28 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

Personally, I would use my D750 over my m43 kit for a wedding. And thats down to low light image quality.

In good light, the m43 is great, but when you are shooting in high iso conditions, which you often are at weddings, there really is no contest. The D750 is a beast

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:52 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus EM-1 MKII or Panasonic GH5 for weddings????

I agree, don't see myself replacing my Nikon gear anytime soon and mainly looking for a lighter setup for personal and some event shooting. I am also tired of the focus issues with my sigma art lenses and d500. Am I correct that m4/3 eliminates the need for AF fine tuning the lenses to the camera body?

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:54 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.