Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              105       106       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Interesting. The price here in Denmark actually looks to be a bit lower than the A7r2 at launch.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:37 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Star Eater gone or still there?

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I've seen several people say "same AF as A9" but it's not.
From Sony's A9 page: "The phase-detection points on the surface of an image sensor — 693 AF points — covers approximately 93% of the image area."
From Sony's A7RIII page: "Fast Hybrid AF with 399-point focal-plane phase-detection AF and 425-point contrast-detection AF"

Also, there's mention on the A9 page about the calculations per second for tracking but the A7RIII page doesn't have anything like that (not saying it doesn't do it, just that it's not mentioned).

So, it doesn't appear to be exactly the same and it's possible that the A9 may track better.

I just got an A9 last week.... A little pissed right now....

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:46 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

dgpfotografia wrote:
Being able to send an HDMI signal over an USB-C connector is independent if it is a Thunderbolt 3 or not. Google makes an adaptor for their phones to have HDMI over USB-C and they don't have thunderbolt: https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_hdmi_adapter . Even the first macbooks that have USB-C and do not have thunderbolt to send the HDMI signal over USB-C.

USB-C only defines the physical form of the connection and the type of signals it can send: USB3 Gen1, USB3 Gen2, audio, HDMI, power, Thunderbolt3... then it will depend on the manufacture to send those signals via that port.

Sony decided only to
...Show more

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/big-picture-with-text_update_1_0.jpg

The new controller supports PCIe 3.0 and other protocols, including HDMI 2.0, and DisplayPort 1.2 (allowing for 4K resolutions at 60 Hz).

I think they stuck to older tech due to cost or technical reasons.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:46 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

If I didn't have an A7R2 already, I'd be all over this. But I'm pretty set for now.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:47 AM
JMcDonald84
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

GMPhotography wrote:
Sounds like my A9 pretty much. Slower capture which Im fine but still silent which I love. Couple other nice features as well USB 3. Dual slots, A9 battery. I might be in. I’ll sell my A9 for it. One concern is AF speed and low EV on it for low light stuff.all I anted was a A9 with 42mpx all along and looks like I got it. 15 stops is nothing to sneeze at either. I do want the zoom too. Might get that first

On SAR it said the same AF as the a9..... so that’s huge if true

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:48 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I still wish this had higher resolution, but perhaps that's what Sony is going to use for segmentation between this and an A9-type body.

It's not that I find the 42-mp of my A7RII wanting in any way... but I've come to really appreciate what moar mexi-pickles means in terms of print size + viewing distance, cropping (fewer lenses), noise reduction at down-res, etc.

Still. Damn, I'm tempted. It's all about what my resell, tax liability changes, VAT-refunding (VAT registered), currency silliness can get me in terms of upgrade cost....

(Still, I'm waiting for reviews/samples regarding IQ/AF.)

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:51 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Chris I can't argue with any of your points, nor would I want to
But I've shot a few of the Canon big whites, loved using them all until I became too old to enjoy the weight.
The EOS 100-400ii was the one I enjoyed the most in the 'later' years due to wieldability and the Sony FE100-400GM is simply superior and lighter. I'd expect the FE primes to follow suit---not that it matters to me; I won't be able to lift the FE400/2.8 either! My hopes of an F4 or even better and F4.5 are on hold....but the aging process
...Show more

I hear you. It's no fun carrying around and lifting 4kg of gear for hours, in particular in hot temperatures. I'm actually thinking about getting the a7riii, the 100-400 GM and the 1.4x TC and see how I cope. Then I'll get an idea whether I really need the additional reach of the 400 2.8 with the 2x TC and/or the light gathering. With my D500 and f4 lenses I often end up shooting at ISO 4000 (which is as high as I'm willing to on the D500, especially with shadow noise).

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:55 AM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Only interested in the improved af, dual card slot, and stabilization. Might not bite yet. Will wait for an improved rx1riii !

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:59 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Link to more details on the Sony site
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications#features
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications

This is disappointing
14-bit RAW output for rich gradations 14-bit RAW format output contains rich tonal information from highlights to shadows, and is available even when shooting in silent or continuous mode (6,7)
(7) Limited to 12 bits during compressed RAW continuous shooting, BULB exposure, or when Long Exposure NR is ON.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:01 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

genji wrote:
Although it will certainly make a whole lot of photographers really happy, it seems as though the A7R III solves a bunch of problems that I don't have. The only thing that would make me upgrade both my A7R II bodies is if autofocus with the Techart PRO and TA-GA3 adapters is significantly improved. Hopefully Karl-Heinz will get an A7R III because I really trust his judgement concerning the Techart adapters.

K-H will most likely to be first!

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:02 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Really wish Sony would release a FE (not Alpha) pancake lens that is less than 3cm in length.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:04 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

This is different wording about weather resistance than they have used before (sealing vs tight joints and sealing around buttons and dials)

Highly durable and operable in tough conditions The α7R III functions reliably in challenging environments. Its body is fortified by lightweight, high-rigidity magnesium alloy top cover, front cover, internal frame, and rear cover. The number of lens mount screws has been increased to six for enhanced durability. Major buttons and dials are sealed. Sealing is provided throughout the body to minimize entry of dust and moisture (28)
(28) Not guaranteed to be 100% dust- and moisture-proof.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:07 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

JMcDonald84 wrote:
On SAR it said the same AF as the a9..... so that’s huge if true

Yeah, I noticed that. That was on SAR, according to the "Photoblographer", not Sony. I think for me this is the critical part. I don't see how it's the same AF with less AF points. My guess is it's much faster than the A7RII, but not as fast as the A9.

I'm also curious to see if eye-AF gets enabled for TAP / MBV/IV, etc.. like on the A9. Those two things were huge for me, especially since I shoot a 70-200 2.8L and 135L.

I do feel bad for those future A7Riii owners and their memory cards. Those of us with an A9 know how easily it is to load up a memory card on the computer and go "What? I just shot 500 images?!". That's bad enough at 25MP, I can't imagine what that would do to my computer at 42MP or even the "99"MP with pixel shift.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:17 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

mcbroomf wrote:
Link to more details on the Sony site
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications#features
https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications

This is disappointing
14-bit RAW output for rich gradations 14-bit RAW format output contains rich tonal information from highlights to shadows, and is available even when shooting in silent or continuous mode (6,7)
(7) Limited to 12 bits during compressed RAW continuous shooting, BULB exposure, or when Long Exposure NR is ON.

It's been the case with Sony for as long as I can remember and won't be addressed anytime soon. Just like their lack of loseless compressed and either giving you compressed or uncompressed. There's certain things Sony does that makes you wonder. Like how the top slot is slot 2 and the bottom slot is slot 1 or how the card ps go in reverse of other companies and labels out, stuff like that.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:20 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

GMPhotography wrote:
Yes as much as I love the A9 and everything about it , I want 42mpx. So yes this is exactly what I wanted all along

Also love the price because it’s less than what I can sell my A9 for so that really helps as I want the 24-105 as well

USB 3 will help too as I shoot tethered a lot. At the moment I’m not seeing a downside

I think the same. I loved my a9. But I couldn't help but think I paid a price premium for the 20 FPS and the electronic shutter which I didn't use. Even 8 FPS for my needs is enough. Getting a 42 month sensor, 8/10 FPS, same body style with better evf, dual cards, better battery, af joystick, etc, at a lower price point makes more sense for me.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:23 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

TMaG82 wrote:
I think the same. I loved my a9. But I couldn't help but think I paid a price premium for the 20 FPS and the electronic shutter which I didn't use. Even 8 FPS for my needs is enough. Getting a 42 month sensor, 8/10 FPS, same body style with better evf, dual cards, better battery, af joystick, etc, at a lower price point makes more sense for me.

Not the same body style though.. notice the lack of second knob, and some other minor differences. Also, we need to wait to find out, but I highly suspect it is a "faster af", not "as fast" at the A9. I know one blog said it was, but I'll need to see some hands on tests before I believe it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:27 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

rji2goleez wrote:
Makes you wonder. Their previous roadmap was to first release an a7 series to be followed some time later with an a7r series. Perhaps now it will be a7r followed by a9r. A7r would be faster and the a9r would be a better landscape machine with higher pixel count but lower frame rate.

I have to wonder if that wasn't the original plan, to announce the a7iii back last month when it was rumored with the a7rIII in early 2018. But with the wide appeal and great anticipation for the D850 and the massive amount of press and back order nightmare if Sony didn't see this as an opportunity to capitalize but also rush the release.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:29 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

BrandonSi wrote:
Not the same body style though.. notice the lack of second knob, and some other minor differences. Also, we need to wait to find out, but I highly suspect it is a "faster af", not "as fast" at the A9. I know one blog said it was, but I'll need to see some hands on tests before I believe it.

For all intents and purposes it the same body style, minus the drive/AF dial. With less options for frame rates, probably saw H/M/L unnecessary. For me personally I left my camera on AF-C most of the time anyway so that smaller dial wasn't used. But everything else, video record, battery, af joystick, better evf, dual cards, etc is the same.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:33 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

dolina wrote:
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/big-picture-with-text_update_1_0.jpg

The new controller supports PCIe 3.0 and other protocols, including HDMI 2.0, and DisplayPort 1.2 (allowing for 4K resolutions at 60 Hz).

I think they stuck to older tech due to cost or technical reasons.

Ok, so maybe I explain myself wrong. USB-C has what it is called alternate-mode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alternate_Mode_partner_specifications . That allows to send audio and video signals (Display Port, HDMI, etc...). That is it is independent if just an USB3 controller is present or if a Thunderbolt 3 controller is present.

Oct 25, 2017 at 06:49 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.