New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D5 Metering Modes

pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5 Metering Modes

Read on another site about matrix metering on the D500 needing about +.7 exposure compensation to regularly get proper exposures. Had a chance to play with a D5 and it seemed that matrix metering with 0 compensation was underexposed and could use +.3 or +.7 boost.

Just wondering what D5 users are finding.

Oct 21, 2017 at 04:50 PM
AnnJS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5 Metering Modes

Every Nikon I have ever used has been like that.

The default settings are for JPG shooters; if you shoot RAW you can get much better and cleaner, less noisy, results by resetting the exposure meters (through the menus).

+0.6 EV and Centre-weighted works well for me in most situations — and I can over-ride with the External ±EV button as it seems appropriate.

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:43 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5 Metering Modes

I use Matrix the majority of the time, Center Weighted the rest and always shoot RAW. I shoot sports, so that can be tricky for metering much of the time. I'm usually at +1/3 or +2/3 stops on EC for night games. I shoot in Manual with Auto ISO and if it's too hot, I'm fine with adjusting the exposure in post. I don't worry about noise either because the D5 is as good as it gets at high ISO (my opinion). I have two D5, and it's the same with both bodies.

For day games, I'm at +1 or sometimes a higher because I'm trying to catch faces underneath helmets or hats, and will bring down the highlights in ACR. I find the D5 to still retain a lot of highlight info, so I'm not worried about blow outs.

I have a D500 too, but never go above +1/3 of a stop unless it's really bright as I'm not a big fan of the ISO noise. I don't use that body too much anymore and won't comment on it's highlight detail retention.

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5 Metering Modes

My experience is the opposite. On all 5 of the Nikons I've owned I normally set exp comp at -0.3 or -.06. Mostly use matrix or spot metering. Probably comes from shooting Kodachrome in the film days.

Oct 22, 2017 at 04:05 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5 Metering Modes

On both of my D5 cameras I have b7 for matrix set to +3/6. Like Ann, I then use the exposure adjustment button as needed for a specific shot/lighting.

Oct 22, 2017 at 07:01 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D5 Metering Modes

I also have my D5 set on +3/6 on matrix and center weighted. Been doing that since the D3.

Oct 23, 2017 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.