Smuggler's Notch, VT

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2017

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Treebeard was here?

I have a very similar tree growing over a boulder near a waterfalls location I visit.
I have attempted to shoot it numerous times, but no matter how I compose the shot or what type of lighting, I've never have been successful with a keeper. I even have the perfect title in mind for it.

I think you have done well here with the capture and the processing is very fitting.
With that said however, I feel there is just something missing but I don't understand what. You've got a great capture and the tones and processing looks correct for the subject but it's not grabbing me.

I wonder if some serious processing is needed here to add drama and mood. An artistic license required I suspect.

Far better than any of mine so far so...

Dave

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Treebeard was here?

So, you feel my pain? Thanks Dave.
I have a dozen similar images from this location.
Somehow it seems the textures, details, sheer gnarlyish roots should carry the image.
But somehow it does seem to fall short and I don't know what to do to elevate it.

anyone want to play? and play hard?

Scott

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:52 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Treebeard was here?

Hey Scott, I think the magic in this shot is all below the lighted area of the rock. Everything above that doesn't tickle my eyes nearly as much. It would be fun to play with the RAW file on this one.

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Treebeard was here?

a shot in the dark....might be better to start from color but anyway....

Basically there is little tonal variation - D & B plus some masks and de-sharpening in camera Raw Filter then a duotone conversion and levels to adjust contrast level and gamma, finally sharpen a bit.

Fun to play with but if anyone knows how to directly save a duotone (converting back to grayscale throws away duotone colors which I did not happen in CC 2017) please pm me. This is a screen-grab of the duotone in CC 2018

I apologize for the hi-jack Scott.

Bob

Edited on Oct 25, 2017 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:27 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Treebeard was here?

Here's my go at it. Tried to bring the attention to the tree and roots and add a little mood.

Dave

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Treebeard was here?

Dave's dug down to the root of the issue.

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Treebeard was here?

lighthound wrote:
Here's my go at it. Tried to bring the attention to the tree and roots and add a little mood.

Dave

Nicely done Dave,

Bob

Oct 25, 2017 at 09:21 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Treebeard was here?

lighthound wrote:
I have a very similar tree growing over a boulder near a waterfalls location I visit.
I have attempted to shoot it numerous times, but no matter how I compose the shot or what type of lighting, I've never have been successful with a keeper. I even have the perfect title in mind for it.

I think you have done well here with the capture and the processing is very fitting.
With that said however, I feel there is just something missing but I don't understand what. You've got a great capture and the tones and processing looks correct for the subject
...Show more

Try getting closer to one of the roots and use it as a leading line to the rest. Then maybe some dodge and burn.

Oct 26, 2017 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.