They don't make em like they used to.

Steve

'53 Packard

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · '53 Packard

I like how you applied the copyright mark!

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:53 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · '53 Packard

AuntiPode wrote:
I like how you applied the copyright mark!

Thanks Karen!
Someone was nice to pm me and tell me that this car is a Kaiser, not a Packard. Sorry to mislabel.

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:27 AM
KCook0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · '53 Packard

Just think, that steering wheel and shaft would be considered a death trap by today's standards.

ohwell

Oct 20, 2017 at 02:12 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · '53 Packard

KCook0 wrote:
Just think, that steering wheel and shaft would be considered a death trap by today's standards.

ohwell

Oh but the fun of driving an old rattletrap!

Steve

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:38 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · '53 Packard

eeneryma wrote:
Oh but the fun of driving an old rattletrap!

Steve

Yeah budddyy!

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:19 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · '53 Packard

Danpbphoto wrote:
Yeah budddyy!

Years before I had my license, my parents bought a used mid 50's Rambler. The odometer read 39,000 miles, but the car must have seen double that mileage. My father drove it back and forth to the train station each morning, so no big deal. It lurched, rattled and smoked horribly. No surprise that Nash and later American Motors went out of business. Rattletrap is an uncommon word today, but most who experienced that era easily identify.

Steve

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · '53 Packard

Nice shot of this Henry J. It stood for Henry J Kaiser of the Kaiser Frasier car company. Another old time car maker that never really escaped the 1950's.

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · '53 Packard

Brought back a memory for me, Steve. My dad had a yardstick used by Henry J as an advertising gimmick, which touted the amount of room the front seat had.

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:04 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · '53 Packard

Fred Amico wrote:
Brought back a memory for me, Steve. My dad had a yardstick used by Henry J as an advertising gimmick, which touted the amount of room the front seat had.

Thanks Ben and Fred for your thoughts and comments. I wonder if some of those yardsticks still exist.

Oct 20, 2017 at 05:57 PM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · '53 Packard

eeneryma wrote:
Years before I had my license, my parents bought a used mid 50's Rambler. The odometer read 39,000 miles, but the car must have seen double that mileage. My father drove it back and forth to the train station each morning, so no big deal. It lurched, rattled and smoked horribly. No surprise that Nash and later American Motors went out of business. Rattletrap is an uncommon word today, but most who experienced that era easily identify.

Steve

My brush with ghosts of the '50s was my first car, a '54 Studebaker coupe. Did not run long enough to rattle. About the only cars from the '50s that were worth bothering with were Chevys.

puttputt

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · '53 Packard

KCook0 wrote:
My brush with ghosts of the '50s was my first car, a '54 Studebaker coupe. Did not run long enough to rattle. About the only cars from the '50s that were worth bothering with were Chevys.

puttputt

Funny u mention Studebaker. The first car I remember from my childhood was a 1949 black Studebaker that had “bullet” styling. my parents constantly claimed it was a lemon. They ran it until the motor seized and then we got a 57 pontiac. Cars were more important then, as opposed to the “appliances” that they are today.

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:22 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · '53 Packard

eeneryma wrote:
Thanks Ben and Fred for your thoughts and comments. I wonder if some of those yardsticks still exist.

They DO Steve!! If you catch " Kustom Cars" with the C(K)ount(Las Vegas), just last week on the HIST Ch show, an owner had one!
Dan

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:29 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · '53 Packard

cool car, capture and I like the magazine on the seat
whites feel a bit hot

Scott

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · '53 Packard

eeneryma wrote:
Funny u mention Studebaker. The first car I remember from my childhood was a 1949 black Studebaker that had “bullet” styling. my parents constantly claimed it was a lemon. They ran it until the motor seized and then we got a 57 pontiac. Cars were more important then, as opposed to the “appliances” that they are today.

Yup. I'm astounded that some folks now buy new cars online, without ever seeing one in person first!

tirekicker

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · '53 Packard

eeneryma wrote:

I recall a Studebaker of that vintage where to start engine the ignition key was turned and then the clutch pedal depressed to start as the starter button was underneath the pedal.

Oct 21, 2017 at 06:05 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · '53 Packard

Cars of that era where large enough to create and raise a family.

Oct 21, 2017 at 06:09 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · '53 Packard

Rick Joyce wrote:
I recall a Studebaker of that vintage where to start engine the ignition key was turned and then the clutch pedal depressed to start as the starter button was underneath the pedal.

The Studebaker had a manual transmission with the shift on the column. My mother learned how to drive on that car and was proud of the fact that she had mastered depressing the clutch, working the gas, and moving through the gears. The things you remember from your childhood...

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · '53 Packard

sbeme wrote:
cool car, capture and I like the magazine on the seat
whites feel a bit hot

Scott

Thanks Scott! Will check those highlights.

Steve

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.