Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

Just ran a couple performance tests to compare CC 2018 vs. CS6.

Photomerged four raw files from my SLR/C (what can I say, CS6 doesn't support the 80D or the 6D2 directly).
Results:

30 Sec (CS6)
25 Sec (CC)

Applied large radius (90) lens blur to same ^.
Results:

90 Sec (CS6)
69 Sec (CC)

Saved as PSD to same ^
Results:

55 Sec (CS6)
40 Sec (CC)

For those keeping score, this is on an i7 3520M with 16 RAM on SSD in a T430S Thinkpad.
A check of Windows Task Master during each process showed all four (virtual) cores being heavily used on each of the six operations performed.

While the times would certainly be faster on a desktop and / or newer processor, the relative difference in times can only be attributed to the difference in software being used (best I can figure atm).
I have not evaluated the subjective performance regarding the quality of the merge, since I used "reposition" mode for the photomerge.

The difference experienced ranges from .72 for the Save, to .83 for the Photomerge between CC and CS6.

Having not used any of the other CC products, I can't tell if the gain is new for CC 2018 or just CC in general. But, as we get farther away from the list of cameras that CS6 can directly support (TIFF / DNG notwithstanding), I've just wanted to know what (if any) performance gains CC provides. As no one has ever been able to answer that for me objectively / quantifiably before, my first order of business was to discern if there is a diff or not.

There is.

Whether or not that is pertinent to ones workflow / needs may vary. But, objectively I can state that I saw an improvement in processing times as noted above.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

It also really needs to be tested with GPU acceleration enabled as well. A good GPU can be utilized to massively increase processing speed for many tasks.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

Jman13 wrote:
It also really needs to be tested with GPU acceleration enabled as well. A good GPU can be utilized to massively increase processing speed for many tasks.

Yes, I had to enable the GPU in order to meet the requirements before I could even download CC 2018.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

How large was the image after you merged the four raw files, what color depth and what file size did it have? 55 or 40 secs to save a simple *.psd sounds like an awful lot. Or have I misunderstood and you were adding up the times for each image?

-Phil

Oct 19, 2017 at 01:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

16 Bit

Saved file sizes:

750M (CS6)
920M (CC)

The point was to try and stress things a bit in order to see where a noticeable diff might be. I figured smaller routine / simple things would be too similar to detect the diff's. Again, this is 3rd Gen Mobile dual core CPU.

YMMV

Oct 19, 2017 at 02:43 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

Thanks.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM
GumaRodak
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

767 raws 24mp imported with 1:1 previews from ext spinner, 17minutes. Late 2015 imac 4ghz

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

GumaRodak wrote:
767 raws 24mp imported with 1:1 previews from ext spinner, 17minutes. Late 2015 imac 4ghz

Is that using CS6 or CC 2018 or
How does that compare vs.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

RustyBug wrote:
16 Bit

Saved file sizes:

750M (CS6)
920M (CC)

The point was to try and stress things a bit in order to see where a noticeable diff might be. I figured smaller routine / simple things would be too similar to detect the diff's. Again, this is 3rd Gen Mobile dual core CPU.

YMMV

An N=1, but interesting. I think there would be a lot a variation in process time depending on hardware and OS. (Maybe even in type of RAW?) I am intrigued that CC produces a file ≈20% larger. Any thoughts on why that would be so?

Oct 21, 2017 at 01:44 PM
GumaRodak
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

well, thats on LR classic...sry, i didnt do any comparison, since previously i used C1

Oct 22, 2017 at 06:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

OntheRez wrote:
An N=1, but interesting. I think there would be a lot a variation in process time depending on hardware and OS. (Maybe even in type of RAW?) I am intrigued that CC produces a file ≈20% larger. Any thoughts on why that would be so?

I have no idea for the file size variance, atm.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:15 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CC 2018 vs. CS6 performance test ...

I’m using both CS6 and CC 2018 just to compare.

I don’t really notice any performance differences although I haven’t performed any measured tests either. There are subtle differences like the save for web location and function which actually performs flawlessly with CC (without a warning window) with huge files. Not enough for me to buy into CC however.

I’m using a newer laptop with I7 with 32g Ram and SSD.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.