Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

hnaa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

So, I've been contemplating "splitting up" my 85 to a 60/105 or 60/135 combo. I sometimes like to work closer, when the chemistry is there, than with the 85, and sometimes I would like to work further away and with more compression. I know a lot of people love the 58/1.4, but that is out of my budget. Also, the 60G would be a nice walk-around macro for flowers and such. (And maybe even great for landscape panos, as supposedly it is also very sharp at infinity, and with practically no distortion).
But, I would love to hear some experiences with the lens for portraits on FX, and would love to see some examples as well.

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:53 AM
travelair
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

Don't have any experience with the newer G, but have plenty with the older 55's, both 3.5 and 2.8 MF, as well as, the 60/2.8 AF-S. If that focal length works for you, they are more than capable for portraiture. Most of the older designs are not terribly complex optical designs, which seem to render out of focus areas in a pleasing fashion (ie good bokeh).

Despite great optical qualities, macro lenses can be somewhat difficult to work with at normal working distances, well outside of the macro range. Most modern lenses, with a coupled focus ring, only take about 3/4 of a rotation (270 degrees) to go from their closest focus to infinity focus. It takes a much greater movement of the optical elements away from the imaging plane the closer one focuses, although, newer designs play some games with internal focusing. In practical terms, what that means is going from say 5 ft to infinity may only require 15 degrees of focus ring rotation on a macro lenses, versus perhaps 60 degrees on a non-macro design. In other words, focusing can be a little touchy in manual mode, and some designs can hunt a bit in AF mode.

The older 60 AF-S lens I'm most familiar with is a screw drive lens, and is one of the ones that tends to hunt. From what I understand, the 60G has an integrated silent wave motor, and tends to be much better.

Ming Thein has an excellent review on the 60G with helpful examples.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2013/02/01/review-nikon-afs-60-2-8-g-micro/

FWIW, I used to use a Pentax 120/4 macro, on 645 format, as my favorite wedding portraiture lens. Also, Leica made the incredible 100/2.8 APO macro Elmarit R, which may have been the single finest optic that I have ever had the chance of using. It was a MF only optic, and the only 35mm lens that I've used with a greater than 1 turn focus throw (almost 2 full turns), which made it much easier to live with in the non-macro range.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/leica-lenses/leica-macro/418-leica-apo-macro-elmarit-r-100mm-f28-leica-apo-macro-elmarit-r-100mm-f28-e60-lens-review

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:17 AM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1507542/35#lastmessage

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

I owned the 60mm g macro for years and never like it for portraits... always went with my 50 or 85mm 1.4g's. I went 50mm 1.4art and 105mm 1.4E for the year. Just sold my 85mm 1.4 that I loved.

I wouldn't make the change personally

Oct 19, 2017 at 03:50 PM
jasonkuo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

I've considered it as well (see https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1449880/0), but I think the thing that holds me back is the 2.8 aperture and not having the option to open up to f/2 or f/1.4. Even if I stop down sometimes on my 85 f/1.4, knowing that it's there helps!

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

I've done it. Nothing special about it. Everything looked flat.

Oct 19, 2017 at 08:13 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

For portraits my preference has always been the 105mm focal length. It provides a more comfortable working distance for the people I am photographing. I use the 105mm f//2.0 DC lens but if someone wanted a macro lens for double duty then I would recommend buying the 105mm VR macro lens.

Even with a f/1.4 lens I very seldom stop down past f/2 as I needed the depth of field even for a face to get everything in focus.

Oct 20, 2017 at 04:12 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone use the 60G for portraits on FX?

Since I can't find an affordable and good enough 50/1.4 to replace my old D version I opted for the 60G and gotta say that for my kind of portraits, which is mostly candid and man's faces, it does so very well, I would sure like to own the 58/1.4 but that's way out of my budget so the 60G does really well, sometimes a little too tight and too close to 85 but as a multi purpose lens does very well, I would just be careful at shooting female faces with it or, at least, to not show them the results...

These are the only ones I have handy and were shot not in the best light conditions but you can tell how sharp is the lens and how suitable for this kind of portraiture, focus is very fast nonetheless the huge excursion and all in all is not a big lens to carry.

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.