New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Okay... we all know LR6 is the last stand alone... I am ready to jump to Capture one

now here's my question.

In LR's sharpening were you can see the sliders: Amount, radius, detail and Masking

does Capture one have the same feature specifically when you toggle the masking where you can fine tune sharpen only the edges... and leave everything else as is.?

thanks,.... I am tired of Adobe.... i am willing to pay $299.00 for a stand alone one time pay software than renting.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:09 AM
daggah
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Caveat: Not yet a Capture One user but considering making the jump.

There's an official Youtube channel that hosts a quite extensive and detailed series of webinars on various features. The sharpening video is long (50 minutes) but might answer your questions (I haven't personally watched it).

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:28 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

bushwacker wrote:
i am willing to pay $299.00 for a stand alone one time pay software than renting.

Then factor in the $99.00 that are necessary about each year to update... Or simply go the subscription route for CO, it's only $15/month...

Oct 19, 2017 at 06:53 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

daggah wrote:
Caveat: Not yet a Capture One user but considering making the jump.

There's an official Youtube channel that hosts a quite extensive and detailed series of webinars on various features. The sharpening video is long (50 minutes) but might answer your questions (I haven't personally watched it).

Thx man will check this.

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:11 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:
Then factor in the $99.00 that are necessary about each year to update... Or simply go the subscription route for CO, it's only $15/month...

My machines are always in remote.... meaning 90% of the time they are not connected to the internet. They run stand alone. They are always in the mountain with me.

I have a separate machine for browsing the net.

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:14 AM
CorsairVelo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

I went from LR to C1P (a few years ago) and back to LR , then back to C1P for good . Nothing is perfect, but C1P has a lot going for it. The thing to watch out for is the size of your catalog as it will bog down a bit more than LR at 50k or 60k images. Setting it up intelligently (put catalog on SSD, referenced raws on fast external drive) is important.

The video shared by daggah is a good place to start on sharpening. I particularly like the ability to preview the output on the screen. For instance, say I have a 6000 x 4000 raw image and want to export to a 2000 x 1333 px JPG for screen/web. The "process" module lets you preview the image at the actual resolution and tweak the output sharpening on the fly.

A lot of people don't talk about the editing controls but C1P is really strong. The highlight recovery is better than most, the color balance and color editor tools are unique and powerful, the luminance curve is great and even the contrast slider seems better to me. (I used to never used a contrast slider in other tools but I like the one in C1P).

The interface takes a while. Tabs are infinitely modifiable, there are customizable workspaces too, but I'd advise to stick to the defaults initially as the videos kind of assume them.

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:34 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

CorsairVelo wrote:
I went from LR to C1P (a few years ago) and back to LR , then back to C1P for good . Nothing is perfect, but C1P has a lot going for it. The thing to watch out for is the size of your catalog as it will bog down a bit more than LR at 50k or 60k images. Setting it up intelligently (put catalog on SSD, referenced raws on fast external drive) is important.

The video shared by daggah is a good place to start on sharpening. I particularly like the ability to preview the output on the
...Show more

Corsair, So in short capture 1 have the same sharpen/ mask feature as the LR.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Capture One doesn't have the same masking feature that Lightroom has.

Oct 19, 2017 at 02:14 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

tomrock wrote:

Ok tnx

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:26 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

tomrock wrote:

wait.....

I think on this video At 15:51... he is discussing about the THRESHOLD.... but in LR it is MASK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=651&v=5MFORMVsKcM

Oct 19, 2017 at 07:33 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Threshold in C1 doesn't work exactly like masking in LR. Since C1 doesn't have sharpening helps (like you have with LR when pressing the ALT key) I don't exactly know how C1's threshold algorithm works, but it's different. I think that the goal that it wants to achieve is the same, but personally I've found LR's masking more effective (if only because of the help tool).

Oct 20, 2017 at 03:06 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

MayaTlab wrote:
Threshold in C1 doesn't work exactly like masking in LR. Since C1 doesn't have sharpening helps (like you have with LR when pressing the ALT key) I don't exactly know how C1's threshold algorithm works, but it's different. I think that the goal that it wants to achieve is the same, but personally I've found LR's masking more effective (if only because of the help tool).

That’s exactly what I want in c1 the alt key... that way it will allow you to fine tune what to sharpen.... in c1 I’m not sure what’s actually sharpening on the image and to what degree... there’s got to be way how to see the edges...without using brushes.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:05 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

By the way I like c1’s halo feature very neat... but I want the alt key...

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:07 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

I tried the free trial. I was impressed. It has export sharpening options like screen and paper but unlike LR offers the user the amount of sharpening.

It has capture sharpening along with lens corrections but also offers detail sharpening in another tab. Not sure what that is but it may be the creative phase. I just used it globally and did not look for masking. I found the NR did a very good job. Produced a very clean background without degrading image clarity. These days I prefer under one roof software and CIPro seems to offer it.

I was trying to figure out how to set up defaults like LR has so my colour, sharpening, NR, etc tweaks are automatically applied. There are a few ways to apply favourites but I did not find a way to do this automatically. However watching some videos and reading Capture's approach is to provide a good image with little user input. I have never liked a program that takes over but I have to admit the NR it applied without my intervention looked pretty darned good.

So based on that IMO it doesn't really need the masking slider as it produced a clean background on it's own.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:50 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

I'm on the road with my laptop so my back to back test files are at home. When I get back I can post them.

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:54 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

You can view it here. Scroll down and you will find a 100% view.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60242605

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:56 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

I forgot to say. As we know LR's output sharpening just has 3 settings. Capture allows the user to push as much as they want to. In the above example in the 100% images I pushed capture a little hard. I think it was the detail screen sharpening which I later backed off.

So just to sum it up. Capture One Pro has capture sharpening with lens corrections, detail and export sharpening.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:02 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

Zenon Char wrote:
You can view it here. Scroll down and you will find a 100% view.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60242605

I think that CO applied too much sharpening, the halos are quite visible around the whiskers. LR looks a little more muddled but no discernible halos (at least not to the extent of CO)...

I would get the Luminar Neptune demo, install it as a plugin to PS and first apply about 50% of the lightest noise reduction in Luminar followed by a filter set comprised of detail enhancer and sharpening and adjust die small and medium detail to taste followed by a very slight sharpening.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:05 AM
dmendlik
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

charlyw wrote:

You do not have to update every time a new version is released. You can skip several updates and still update for $99

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:02 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question: LR sharpening vs Capture One sharpening

dmendlik wrote:
You do not have to update every time a new version is released. You can skip several updates and still update for $99

Looking at their site you can no longer skip several versions, you can skip one - but that's something at their whim, they can easily decide that you no longer can skip any...

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:07 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.