Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · UK Sports - Payment Terms

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UK Sports - Payment Terms

Hi All,

Been a while since I've shown my face in the Sports Corner as I've been a fairly full-time wedding photographer for the past decade! I'm getting back into shooting some sports stuff alongside my wedding work and was wondering what is typical for payment terms on a quote these days? I honestly can't recall what I used to do!

For wedding work I am being paid up-front and obviously would prefer that for sports coverage, but was wondering if this is typical/acceptable or whether I ought to go with requiring payment within 14 days of the shoot?

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Best

Tony

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:54 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UK Sports - Payment Terms

Wouldn't it depend on the client? You're probably in a better place to secure after-the-fact payment if you have some sort of contract in place (i.e., paper trail) with a corporate type client (legal entity) than you might be with an individual in the wedding business. If it was families I'd lean to pre-pay, but for a University or company billing would likely be okay. I doubt media has the cash flow to prepay these days.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:24 AM
Graham Crowthe
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UK Sports - Payment Terms

Hi Tony.
Are you talking about taking on private sports commissions?, if so then your usual business rules should apply, however, if you are talking about Media publication payments for commissioned work/spec then that's a whole new ball, (excuse the pun), game!.
Payments from the media groups vary from 31 days to 2 months!

Payment from most is about a month depending on when the images where used eg it it's the beginning of the month then you stand a chance of payment at the end of the same month.
If it's towards the end of the month then a 2 week addition tends to apply? so in effect it's 6 weeks before payment!!.

There are groups, (Trinity Mirror for example), who pay on a "month's grace" basis ie if you have images used 1weeks into the month then it discards the 3 weeks of that month & adds the statutory month (31 days) allowed in UK law so in effect it's nigh on 2 months before payment.
Make sure you have supplied all your BACS details in advance as the do tend to "get lost" when payments are chased up!!

Regards Graham.

Nov 17, 2017 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.