New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · kit lens alternative

jtrankler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · kit lens alternative

So I enjoy having the 28-70 ~ focal range for versatility. But want to step it up from kit lens as not a big fan of the 3.5-5.6 range.

Would love the GM but $2k just is not in the books. Also still not even sure the 24-70f4 is worth a 1.2k price tag..

I know back in my canon days i just rocked the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and got it for just a few hundred.

Thoughts on something like the Tamron or any of the canon mount ~20's-70's f2.8 using the MC-11 adapter?

My current lenses are
Kit 28-70 f3.5-5.6
FE 85 f1.8
Rokinon 14 f2.8
Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:16 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · kit lens alternative

The MC-11 tends to not be too great on 1) older a7 and a7R bodies (more AF hunting, etc.), and 2) with older EF Canon and even many newer non-Canon EF mount lenses. To get best results with the MC-11, you'll want modern Canon lenses (especially "L") and newer Sony bodies such as a72 and a7R2. I get much more accurate AF with MC-11 and Canon L lenses on my a7R2 over my a7R.

You'll get outstanding IQ results with older manual focus lenses such as Canon FD, with "dumb" adapters. The a7 offers magnified focusing for manual focus lenses.

Otherwise, it's hit or miss. You may find non-Sigma and non-Canon EF mount lenses that work great, but I'll have to leave any suggestions to someone else, as I'm not aware of what might be best.

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:32 PM
jtrankler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · kit lens alternative

Gunzorro wrote:
The MC-11 tends to not be too great on 1) older a7 and a7R bodies (more AF hunting, etc.), and 2) with older EF Canon and even many newer non-Canon EF mount lenses. To get best results with the MC-11, you'll want modern Canon lenses (especially "L") and newer Sony bodies such as a72 and a7R2. I get much more accurate AF with MC-11 and Canon L lenses on my a7R2 over my a7R.

You'll get outstanding IQ results with older manual focus lenses such as Canon FD, with "dumb" adapters. The a7 offers magnified focusing for manual focus lenses.

Otherwise,
...Show more

Thanks for advice.

Goal is to use end of year bonus to pick up a7r2. So would just be using on A7 for few months.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.