Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
  

Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2

  
 
Guest

Guest
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


This is insane, and also in a "Meyer-Optik" way, beyond the usual Leica way of insanity.


Oct 18, 2017 at 09:30 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


Snopchenko wrote:
This is insane, and also in a "Meyer-Optik" way, beyond the usual Leica way of insanity.


Leica is not a company like Canon which is focused on consumer goods. Leica always made part of their limited version products for collectors for a high price margin. Interestingly, Leica sells this stuff quite well and seems to make some good profit from it. It has nothing to do with insanity, it is simply not meant for regular consumers to buy this kind of special camera or lens editions. That Leica prices for "regular" camera gear are also expensive has to do with the brand name, low supply and relatively high demand, plus less products manufactured to make up for the combined cost making them.



Oct 18, 2017 at 09:42 AM
notherenow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


retrofocus wrote:
I am sure Cosina could make an equivalent lens with similar properties for 1/10th of the price.


At $650 (1/10 of the price) it would still be way overpriced in my book. I would pay maybe a maximum of $200 and probably use it once or twice a year.



Oct 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


notherenow wrote:
At $650 (1/10 of the price) it would still be way overpriced in my book. I would pay maybe a maximum of $200 and probably use it once or twice a year.


Yes....with my really rough price estimate I just took into account a lower number of made lenses which then require a bit higher price tag to compensate for the lower quantity. And also....you have a hard time finding a new M mount lens for less than $400 in general.



Oct 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2




retrofocus wrote:
You can get something similar for about $300-400 with the 7Artisans 50/1.1


that lens looks very nice, and i'll probably try it out at some point. i haven't seen any evidence that it's terribly similar to the f/1 noctilux though.




Oct 18, 2017 at 01:20 PM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


Phooey! I want the Mountain Elmar reissue.


Oct 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


I wonder if they'll reissue the R9 someday....


Oct 19, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Arka
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


I'm holding out for the DMR reissue - enjoy the digital grain patterns, resolution, and software glitches of 2006 today."Simplification through unpredictable performance."

Maybe it'll be a 20th anniversary thing.

In all seriousness though, I would love to see:
- A 75mm f/1.4 or faster M lens;
- A 35mm M Noctilux
- A Leica M-mount ILC with the SL sensor, minus the rangefinder, about the same size as the Q, with EVF and movie capability retained - priced at $4000-5000 please.



Oct 19, 2017 at 03:37 AM
Donzo98
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


Arka wrote:
I'm holding out for the DMR reissue - enjoy the digital grain patterns, resolution, and software glitches of 2006 today."Simplification through unpredictable performance."

Maybe it'll be a 20th anniversary thing.

In all seriousness though, I would love to see:
- A 75mm f/1.4 or faster M lens;
- A 35mm M Noctilux
- A Leica M-mount ILC with the SL sensor, minus the rangefinder, about the same size as the Q, with EVF and movie capability retained - priced at $4000-5000 please.


Number 3 on your list would be awesome...




Oct 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


Donzo98 wrote:
Number 3 on your list would be awesome...



yeah, people have been asking for that since the Q came out. i don't think leica wants to make it.




Oct 19, 2017 at 05:34 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


some shots on the a7 and even the nex with the old thambar

https://sonyalphanex.blogspot.kr/2017/10/leica-thambar-m-90-on-sony-a7-cameras.html



Oct 19, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Donzo98
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


sebboh wrote:
yeah, people have been asking for that since the Q came out. i don't think leica wants to make it.



I have the Q and SL.... and it's a damn good combo, but an interchangeable lens Q would be fantastic....




Oct 19, 2017 at 06:20 PM
takomaru
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


ken.vs.ryu thanks for posting that link, like very much what I saw; my current portraif and soft focus is a Rodie Imagon 180 on M RB67 mount, both for film and digital; when correctly applied, the Thambar results can be terrific, but too many lighting variables for my choice plus the huge price tag...my Imagon was less than 500 bucks and flawless with all lighting...regards, takomaru


Oct 19, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Arka
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


Donzo98 wrote:
I have the Q and SL.... and it's a damn good combo, but an interchangeable lens Q would be fantastic....



For me, the SL is way too big, and the lenses are even bigger (and ridiculously expensive - not a single one under $4000!). I love the Sony A9 as a platform for my M lenses because it's much smaller than the SL, can take a very wide range of lenses (and support AF on them), and each native lens doesn't cost over $4000 (though some are indeed quite expensive).

An ILC Q with M-mount would eliminate all of the problems I have with the SL, and I'd totally buy one. Leica might even consider developing something like the TechArt Pro adapter for such a camera. If they did, I think they'd see lens sales go through the roof.

But then again, there's always a Thambar re-issue. It's certainly easier (though I really do wonder how many they'll sell at that price). Maybe they can make a Motley Crue edition of it.



Oct 19, 2017 at 09:56 PM
roofdweller49
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


They could be doing reissues of the rigid summicron, instead...

I'll wait for them to reissue the stemar



Oct 20, 2017 at 06:31 AM
phuang3
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


I pay big money for absolute optical performance, not for the crappy soft focus effect.


Oct 21, 2017 at 09:18 AM
pmeheut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


phuang3 wrote:
I pay big money for absolute optical performance, not for the crappy soft focus effect.


You pay big money to have the images you like, i.e. technically perfect. Other people may like other kind of images and pay big money for what they like.
And maybe they won't even think that what you like is "crappy".



Oct 21, 2017 at 09:20 AM
phuang3
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


pmeheut wrote:
You pay big money to have the images you like, i.e. technically perfect. Other people may like other kind of images and pay big money for what they like.
And maybe they won't even think that what you like is "crappy".



The thing is you don't need to spend $6.5k to get soft-fcous effect. A soft-focus filter or even PS will do better. What are people paying 6.5k for? Exotic glass element or superior optical design? As a long time Leica user, I am kind of disappointed on current Leica management




Oct 23, 2017 at 08:24 AM
Sam_W
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


You're paying to get to experience both a new product, and nostalgia, and an historic product, all at the same time.

It's almost like finding New Old Stock shrinkwrapped Leica R lenses from the 60s and 70s (there have been a few cropping up lately), except better, because the lens is in current production and much easier to service, if you decide to use it. You get to experience something fairly unique and rare these days, and that commands a price.



Oct 23, 2017 at 01:50 PM
airfrogusmc
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2


phuang3 wrote:
The thing is you don't need to spend $6.5k to get soft-fcous effect. A soft-focus filter or even PS will do better. What are people paying 6.5k for? Exotic glass element or superior optical design? As a long time Leica user, I am kind of disappointed on current Leica management



So disappointed with the upcoming 75 1.25, 35 .95 and the new M 10? The M 10 is the finest 135 (FF) or crop format digital I have shot with and I've shot with quite few.

I think Leica is about more than what many pixel peepers want to see . That is for sure. I do believe that their optics are more about the way lenses render than just clinical sharpness though they do have some very sharp options but those options usually have very unique renderings also.



Oct 23, 2017 at 03:17 PM
1      
2
       3       4       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password