Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Who services old Canon lenses?

mikeinctown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Thinking about picking up a 300 2.8 IS V1 but Canon no longer supports it with repairs, or in their words, it is no longer serviceable. I know there was a place in Michigan that was able to service the old non-IS 300 and so I would assume that there are plenty of third party shops that can repair the IS version, but don't know who they are.

This would also explain why they suddenly seemed to drop by almost a grand in value over the course of the last year or so.

So if you guys and gals can provide recommendations for who supports older Canon non serviceable lenses I would appreciate it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:16 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Contact Toshio Fujishima of TF Camera Repair.

(732) 238-8806

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:05 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who services old Canon lenses?

I've had the shop in Michigan do work for me before (can't think of their name offhand). Good work and reasonably priced in my experience, but SLOW. Expect them to takes months - I think I waited around 4 months to get mine back.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who services old Canon lenses?

As far as I know, Canon only dropped the support for 400 L IS v1 earlier this year. The 300 should still be serviceable.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Milan Hutera wrote:
As far as I know, Canon only dropped the support for 400 L IS v1 earlier this year. The 300 should still be serviceable.

I confirmed it with Canon before I posted the request as I had read in another thread that they dropped support. As I've seen a few good shape ones going for less than $2500, this would explain the reasoning as they were all well above $3k last year.

When Canon says not serviceable, they mean CPS won't touch the lens and they aren't fixing them in house, not that you cannot find parts.

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:43 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Jon Joshua wrote:
Contact Toshio Fujishima of TF Camera Repair.

(732) 238-8806

that would be the one I remember being given the name to. There was another in NJ that I seem to recall as well. Toshio is still able to service the non IS version, though that was a year or so back and parts availability may be diminished now.

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:44 PM
gel685
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who services old Canon lenses?

I had a 20-35/2.8 L repaired here with great results. Very reasonable.--Eric.

http://midwestcamera.com/

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Another satisfied customer of Midwest Camera; they fixed my 80-200 2.8L a couple of years ago.
Jerry

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:06 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Haven't had Midwest work on any Canon gear, but they just fixed a decidedly beat-up Tokina 300 2.8 Nikon-mount for me. Great work, good price, did take just short of two months.

Oct 17, 2017 at 08:44 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Parts availability is the issue with older cameras and lenses. As of right now, its likely that common parts can be scraped up. The time to repair one depends greatly on the time to find a replacement part.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:42 PM
G. Thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who services old Canon lenses?

Midstate (as opposed to Midwest!) Camera has been good to me. They fixed a 80-200L that was stuck at 80mm for ~$135. I don't remember how long it took, but my impression was that it was fairly quick turnaround.

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who services old Canon lenses?

midwest camera repair

Oct 19, 2017 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.