Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Dual slot vs single slot

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dual slot vs single slot

Well, a lot words have already been written around here about it per se, so this aint the purpose of this thread but more about those Leica, fuji x100's, etc. shooters who produce beautiful images as (among other things) they are emotional connected to that particulAr gear, the feel, the experience ... gives them some extra that they "need", and not having a dual slot option for that gear they love, they go shooting weddings on single slot cameras !

Comment !

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:02 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dual slot vs single slot

Leica not necessary. Just fill one slot on your d850 with 16gb (why stop on backup when you can extend it to capacity) and rock on.
Emotions and connection galore.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:12 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dual slot vs single slot

jmraso wrote:
Well, a lot words have already been written around here about it per se, so this aint the purpose of this thread but more about those Leica, fuji x100's, etc. shooters who produce beautiful images as (among other things) they are emotional connected to that particulAr gear, the feel, the experience ... gives them some extra that they "need", and not having a dual slot option for that gear they love, they go shooting weddings on single slot cameras !

Comment !

How is this different to what has already been argued?
I don't see the fact you love a single slot camera changes either side of the argument.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:39 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dual slot vs single slot

cool

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:52 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dual slot vs single slot

If the juice is worth the squeeze, then to for it.

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:09 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dual slot vs single slot

Cards (and humans) fail. There are no do-overs with weddings. The risk, to me, is unacceptable, no matter how giddy a sensor is making you feel inside.

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:55 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dual slot vs single slot

jmraso wrote:
Comment !

Oct 17, 2017 at 07:56 AM
GumaRodak
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dual slot vs single slot

Maybe they shoot to 4gb cards and each 10 minutes they are doing backup...
Now serious, there are devices like WD passport which allow sd card backup withou computer, so you can do in run backup

Oct 17, 2017 at 08:06 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dual slot vs single slot

no risk, no fun

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dual slot vs single slot

When I was using 4GB and smaller memory cards with 12MB cameras it was convenient to have a second slot for an overflow memory card. I could shoot and not worry that the primary card would fill up and I would need to change cards and miss shots.

Now even with a 45MB camera and 128GB memory cards I still like to have a second slot for an overflow card. A 128GB card holds on average 2200 images from the D850 and 2700 from the D500 (which I use with the 70-200mm lens) and this is more than enough most of the time. But I would hate to miss moments as a result of a full card. I do have the option of checking the remaining images from the camera count and putting in a new card at the start of the reception but I still like having a backup card.

I do not worry about problems with a card as in 15 years of shooting with digital cameras I have lost a total of 3 images due to memory card defects (always with a brand new memory card) and I have learned to completely test any new memory cards before using them for an event.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dual slot vs single slot

The same here, and pros losing images due to card failure is not something that is always on the news every monday morning, pretty much like putting your ass in a plane !

elkhornsun wrote:
I do not worry about problems with a card as in 15 years of shooting with digital cameras I have lost a total of 3 images due to memory card defects (always with a brand new memory card) and I have learned to completely test any new memory cards before using them for an event.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:04 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dual slot vs single slot

Dual card slots just literally saved my ass from the wedding we shot a few weeks ago, and I just realized it yesterday. I somehow (no idea how) only got about 1/3 of the images from one of my main 64bg cards. No idea why only 1/3 of the raw's transferred. Thankfully, I have the backup jpg's, and apart from a bit more hassle in editing them, my couple is not going to miss anything.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:21 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dual slot vs single slot

So maybe, that was just an error while transferring !, I dont know, and just right clicking to see how many images in the card and right clicking in the folder to check out and transfer again, if you dont see the same number, could have solved the issue !

Of course it is good to have two slots, but I am not sure how important that is.

joelconner wrote:
Dual card slots just literally saved my ass from the wedding we shot a few weeks ago, and I just realized it yesterday. I somehow (no idea how) only got about 1/3 of the images from one of my main 64bg cards. No idea why only 1/3 of the raw's transferred. Thankfully, I have the backup jpg's, and apart from a bit more hassle in editing them, my couple is not going to miss anything.

Oct 18, 2017 at 01:29 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dual slot vs single slot

On this topic, I'll admit group-fear has gotten the best of me. In over 600 digital weddings I've only lost 6 or so images, due to an off-brand card I was shooting in 2007. Yet, I'm now looking beyond any camera that doesn't have dual slots. I even got over the lack of dynamic range on the 6DmkII, but I couldn't get over the single slot. Can't explain it, other than the internet stories.

Film shooters take greater risks every wedding as they have to rely on a courier to get their film to a lab, then rely on a C-41 operator to do a chemical process correctly. How do they sleep at night?

I personally take a greater risk driving over 25,000 miles a year getting to weddings and back. Car accidents far outweigh failed memory cards.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dual slot vs single slot

So do you single card heroes inform your clients its not a big deal or say nothing? Is it in your contract that you shoot single card and who is responsible if it fails?

PS
Risks add up
Eating at venue, single card, driving a hybrid, off brand lights, canon body, sigma lenses.... living on the edge!
No wonder there are wedding sects calling themselves FEARLESS.
Such a dangerous profession!

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dual slot vs single slot

InSanE wrote:
So do you single card heroes inform your clients its not a big deal or say nothing? Is it in your contract that you shoot single card and who is responsible if it fails?

PS
risks add up
eating at venue, single card, driving a hybrid, off brand lights, canon body, sigma lenses.... living on the edge!
No wonder there are wedding sects calling themselves FEARLESS

I do every single one of these things. Except for Canon bodies. Too reliable for my taste.

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:20 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dual slot vs single slot

Also, if you don't have something in your contract about technical malfunctions, you're the one who's living on the edge...

Oct 20, 2017 at 01:22 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dual slot vs single slot

I wouldn’t mind using the second slot for backup if it didn’t eat up the buffer when I really need it. Maybe I need faster cards for my D750, but for now it’s set to overflow.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:28 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dual slot vs single slot

I've actually softened my stance on this whole dual card slot issue. There are a lot of times I shoot engagement sessions with only one card in my 5D4.

I think the likelihood of your camera breaking/crashing is way higher than a card failure which is why I think it's more important to have two bodies on you in case one goes down.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:41 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dual slot vs single slot

So if one risk is higher we ignore others that are less likely.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:06 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.