Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

tbdinh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I'm debating selling my Sigma 85 1.4 Art since I use Sigma 135 1.8 Art more and use Tamron macro 90mm 2.8 IS for getting ready/bridal prep.

Anyone use macro lens for getting ready/bridal prep?

Lens I have: Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Canon 24-70 II 2.8, Tamron 15-30 IS 2.8, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, and Tamron 90mm 2.8

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I use the 100L for details/prep/portraits-in-a-pinch. I wouldn't sell either of your Arts — both 85 and 135 focal lengths are too useful to me.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:25 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

If you're not actually doing macro shots, dump the macro and put the 85 back into use. I dumped my macros. Just throw some rings in your bag for those very rare macro requests. Moral of the story... macro work is pretty dated at this point. People care more about shots of themselves.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:28 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

LeeSimms wrote:
I use the 100L for details/prep/portraits-in-a-pinch. I wouldn't sell either of your Arts — both 85 and 135 focal lengths are too useful to me.

Thanks for your advice. I rarely use the 85 Art except indoor/detail/prep. It's definitely amazing when the 135 is too long indoor. I looked at used price of 85 and it's around $1000. I don't need the money, but just want to be more efficient with my gears.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:30 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

amonline wrote:
If you're not actually doing macro shots, dump the macro and put the 85 back into use. I dumped my macros. Just throw some rings in your bag for those very rare macro requests. Moral of the story... macro work is pretty dated at this point. People care more about shots of themselves.

You mean for macro filter for the 85 Art? Hmm I didn't think of it. I don't do any macro other than ring shot. Do you get similiar results? Any filter you recommend?

TIA!

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:33 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

tbdinh wrote:
You mean for macro filter for the 85 Art? Hmm I didn't think of it. I don't do any macro other than ring shot. Do you get similiar results? Any filter you recommend?

TIA!

I’d ask here and on other forums who’s using rings with the rest of the lenses you mentioned (at least the focal lengths), and try to determine which provides the best results. I know some people use rings with the 24-70, but I’ve also seen people mentioning using them with several other focal lengths you own.

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

Ditched the macro when I got a D800. Now I just crop or have one extension ring, no one is buying 30x20 prints of rings.

135mm is definitely no replacement for an 85mm imo but sell the one you use less. The art is a huge heavy lens.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

Thank you everyone! I will definitely looking for extension ring and sell the macro.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

With a 30 Euro 16mm ring and a 75 focal lens !

http://www.jmraso.com/images/rings.jpg

amonline wrote:
I’d ask here and on other forums who’s using rings with the rest of the lenses you mentioned (at least the focal lengths), and try to determine which provides the best results. I know some people use rings with the 24-70, but I’ve also seen people mentioning using them with several other focal lengths you own.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I will miss the output from the 85 Art a little bit when the 85 IS comes out but I will most definitely not miss the size/weight. I'd sell that and just crop images from the 135.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

mb126 wrote:
I will miss the output from the 85 Art a little bit when the 85 IS comes out but I will most definitely not miss the size/weight. I'd sell that and just crop images from the 135.

It doesn't look like I'm missing out. Check out Photography on the Net forum. OP had a chance to use the 85 1.4 IS and the image doesn't impress me like 85 1.4 Art or 135. It's disappointing actually for a more expensive lens.

Here is the thread. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1487078&page=1

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I only used a macro for shots of details. I realized that for the few images that were likely to end up in the wedding album it made little sense to carry around a dedicated lens. I switched to using a screw-on +4 Closeup lens on the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens and it works perfectly well for this purpose.

I want to carry as few lenses as possible during the day and so my kit now consists of the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, and a 105mm DC lens. The Closeup lens takes no more space than a lens filter and stays in a pocket of the camera bag until needed.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

elkhornsun wrote:
I only used a macro for shots of details. I realized that for the few images that were likely to end up in the wedding album it made little sense to carry around a dedicated lens. I switched to using a screw-on +4 Closeup lens on the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens and it works perfectly well for this purpose.

I want to carry as few lenses as possible during the day and so my kit now consists of the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, and a 105mm DC lens. The Closeup lens takes no more space than a lens filter and stays
...Show more

That's exactly my thoughts as well. Is there one lens that works better with close up filter than others?

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I found the 24-70mm worked well for my purposes and I had the option of changing the focal length. With Nikon it helps that so many of their lenses take a 77mm size filter.

Another option for those who take a 50mm prime lens anyway is to get a reverse adapter which turns this lens into a macro.

Oct 19, 2017 at 05:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I have two thoughts on this.

1) It doesn't say what body you're using, but one school of thought is just to crop to for ring/detail shots. If you bring a crop sensor body for a backup or anything, that may have higher pixel density and could be even better.

2) Macro lenses aren't just for macro and tend to be really great for other stuff, too. Look at your EXIF data and see how much of your 85mm stuff is being shot at less than f/2.8. If you're tending to stop down anyway, then the 85 might not be worth the $$$$ and space in your bag. If you're f/1.4 all the time, then that's another story. I'm not sure what is out there for Canon, but a different macro lens might be another alternative. I was in a similar situation with the Nikon 85 f/1.4 and 105 f/2.8 VR Macro lens. I ended up selling the 105 and getting the much smaller 60mm f/2.8 macro, which is considerably smaller and I really prefer the wider FOV for ring/detail work.

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:36 AM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

BSPhotog wrote:
I have two thoughts on this.

1) It doesn't say what body you're using, but one school of thought is just to crop to for ring/detail shots. If you bring a crop sensor body for a backup or anything, that may have higher pixel density and could be even better.

2) Macro lenses aren't just for macro and tend to be really great for other stuff, too. Look at your EXIF data and see how much of your 85mm stuff is being shot at less than f/2.8. If you're tending to stop down anyway, then the 85 might not be
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughts. I shoot with Canon 5D IV & 6D (only at wedding when dual strapping). When I shoot portraits, I usually shoot wide open (1.4-1.8) unless when I do environmental portraits then it's closer to F8. I probably looks at LR data more to see if I can narrow down the 85 and 135. If I have to pick one now, I'd sell the 85.

I'll probably look for macro filter and sell the Tamron macro.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I use a full frame camera with the 14-24 and 24-70 and a crop camera with the 70-200mm lens. As soon as I could buy a pro full frame camera, which was the Nikon D3, I switched back to Nikon and I bought a 105mm f/2.0 lens.

I use the 105mm only for the bride shots during the getting ready and semi portrait sessions. The rest of the day it is in a roller case in the trunk of my car. I have found 85mm too long on a crop camera and too short on a full frame camera, and that was true when shooting 35mm film as well.

Maybe others have different experiences but I very seldom have a ring shot selected by a bride for her wedding album. I see beautiful product photography shots of rings done by others but as I am not working for a jewelry store I do not see the gain with investing the time by a wedding photographer.

While I am photographing details for the bride I am not photographing people and I think it is much more important to be photographing people (and people that are truly important to the bride and groom or their parents. I had a new second photographer who took time taking dozens of pictures of cute kids and I never used him again.

Oct 20, 2017 at 04:00 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

Unless its just too much to hall around, I would keep the 85 and the 90. The 90 would come out for the details and then go away. The 85 would be used most of the day. Personally, I had a super wide lens that I sold and got a 24 art and don't miss the super wide anymore. I would ditch the 15 -30 before a light macro like the 90. I have the 135 art and elected to pass on the 85 art because I don't need an 85 that is that huge. If size is a problem maybe get a different 85? I would keep both focal lengths though. A 135 is not a replacement for an 85.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

Having a 50, 85, 100 and 135 (and 70-200) makes for a crowded bag, I'll admit. Don't think I could sell any of them. I frequently have 2nd shooters use my glass.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:44 AM
tbdinh
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need help deciding which lens to sell

I don't have a problem with size. I shoot OCF so I'm used to hauling big softbox, strobe, lightstand, C-stand sometime. I just want to streamline my gears since I hardly use the 85 Art other than indoor portraits.

I only have 5 lens and it's all I ever need for wedding. I thought I can streamline to only 4 lens since I hardly use 1-2.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.