Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

I'm just ranting...I just got my first negative feedback on ebay and I'm pissed. I sold a guy a lens, and he got it and complained that there was a small mark on the barrel. I had never seen a mark. He also complained that I sent it with an aftermarket cap (looked identical and worked identical to the nikon cap). He is probably right on that, but I didn't even realize it. He was not happy, even though he never said there was anything functionally wrong with the lens (I had never experienced anything wrong with it, always worked perfectly for me). However, just as I would do here, in the interest of not having an unhappy customer, I offered to take the lens back for a full refund, and I would pay for shipping. Then he tells me that he has taken the lens overseas so he can't get it back to me. So at that point I had no options to make this buyer happy. I forgot about it, but was checking my feedback rating today and saw that he had given me a negative rating. I reported him to ebay but I'm sure there is nothing I can do about the negative...after 550+ positive ratings over the years.

I'm a big believer in trying to make things right, but in this case the buyer took away any option I had to do so...I just reported him to ebay as I don't think it's fair that he can leave negative feedback in this situation when I tried to do the right thing. As they say, to err is human, to forgive devine. I'm sure ebay won't do anything like reverse his feedback so I did all I could do.

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

You can reply to his feedback. Say whatever you want about him being unreasonable.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

Unfortunately you cannot reply to feedback, ebay got rid of this feature some time ago. I had no other option than to report him, which won't do any good. I have enough positive feedback (550+) that this won't kill me, and I don't sell much on ebay anyway. It just ticked me off that I had no chance to give the guy a refund, he had already given me negative feedback and then said he couldn't do it...which I thought wasn't fair.

Sorry for the rant.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:30 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

I quit selling on eBay ~13 yrs ago. As evidenced by your thread,
things must be worse now. Sorry, man.

Oct 21, 2017 at 05:18 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

Ha-ha! I received only one negative feedback on eBay. Out of all the expensive items I have sold there in the past.

It was so absurd, it was something I was basically giving away and I think I sold it for a dollar because I just didn't want to throw it out.

Some guy then did that to me because I sent it out on a Monday instead of a Saturday. There's people that will complain about anything, just read the forums!

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:14 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

I once had a buyer give me an alternate address other than his confirmed Paypal address, and then give me negative feedback after I refused to ship and sent him a full refund. He had refused to change his confirmed address with Paypal. Ebay wouldn't remove that negative feedback. It is an egregious system with idiotic rules.

Oct 22, 2017 at 01:27 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

Try not to react too much to what "evilbay" does. They, like most websites, selectively post what they feel is positively reflecting on them and could give a crap about you.
They selectively choose the laws they want to obey. I use "laws" because in this case it is an "all inclusive" term encompassing selective editing of the "agenda" THEY want to put forth. Fraudulent activity can be perceived in negative feedback.

Save this "link/post" to refer/foward to those that take the negative feedback as truth about your selling/buying experiences.

I think I can safely say the majority of FM'ers on B&S have experienced this is some form or another. Whether it was posted as "negative" feedback or not.

It is all about perception! Chalk it up to "nature of the beast", sit back.. have a drink of choice and reflect on the good feedback you have received. Mature b&s'rs can fathom the truth out.
Regards and Best!
Dan

Oct 23, 2017 at 07:45 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

I agree...I'm not worried about it here (135 positives and climbing), I should just not sell on ebay. I don't sell often, but in this case I was selling something that nobody here seemed to want at any price, and there was a buyer (albeit a jerk) there so I went there.

The thing here is that both parties are in communication, and I feel like I have some control over the transaction. So if there is a problem I can try to fix it..and that has happened to me here, it just worked out ok so that both parties (mostly the buyer) were satisfied. On ebay the transaction is more of a 'black hole' where things can happen and you don't have a chance to fix them, like in my case this time.

I know it's not a big deal, it just bothered me that the buyer gave me no chance to fix the problem. We end up both losing--he gave me negative feedback, and he's not happy with his purchase. Oh well. No more selling on ebay for me.

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:48 AM
travelair
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

FWIW, I wouldn't have any issues buying from someone with a less than 1% negative ratings. There are always a few percent that are going to be dissatisfied customers, not matter what you do. It just seems to be a part of their DNA.

Oct 23, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

"I know it's not a big deal!" It is to you(and that is all that matters) and should continue to concern all of us on FM.
Dan

Edited on Oct 26, 2017 at 07:31 AM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2017 at 07:19 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just got my first negative feedback on ebay....

How long ago? If you're upset about the feedback wait till the overseas rental is over and he files an item not as described charge back through PayPal. I'd contact PayPal and tell them you offered to refund and he decided to use for a trip (keep) the lens anyway.

Oct 25, 2017 at 04:50 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.