New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon refurbished lens sale

jpk1018jk
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Was looking at buying a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Refurbished from canon during the sale they just had. It was never in stock until the day after the sale ended. Seems pretty shady to me or is this common practice.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM
M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon refurbished lens sale

It’s likely coincidence. It, as well as the 100-400, are very popular so can sell out in minutes when they get in stock. I watched for the 100-400 for months and was lucky to get one when it went on sale.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:46 AM
jpk1018jk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Agreed but I was watching for the entire length of the sale and the minute the sale is over wham they have them in stock. Disappointed mostly.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM
PicGuy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Canon will not put lenses on sale that they know will sell at higher prices. Especially if they have a limited quantity of them. This is just good business sense on their part. Only lenses that pile up in their inventory get the fire sale prices.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Sign up for alerts from Canon Price Watch. I was able to snag my 100-400II during a refurb sale. Just don't plan to get a lot of sleep. I got my alert around midnight, bought the lens, and I think by 12:30am it was out of stock again.

Mark

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Curious, What was the on-sale refurb price for the 100-400 mk ii?

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon refurbished lens sale

I've bought several. The good ones literally disappear, sometimes within hours. It is not a bait and switch. They do peddle them. As noted, recommended Price Watch. They try to keep up, but even they can only go so fast. When I need a lens and am willing to wait, I watch it over days or weeks.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon refurbished lens sale

I want to say it was $1570? I paid a little over $1700 after sales tax.

gschlact wrote:
Curious, What was the on-sale refurb price for the 100-400 mk ii?

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM
jpk1018jk
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon refurbished lens sale

This is the reply I got from canon:
Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Refurbished is back in stock and the previous offer has expired. I will be glad to address this for you.

Sales timing are arranged by Canon's Corporate Headquarters in New York in advance, and the sale in relation to the items being out of stock is unfortunate. With promotions with refurbished products do sell out very quickly. Refurbished products in our Canon Direct Store are stocked differently than our regular items. These are items that have been returned to Canon for a variety of reasons, including overstock balancing, miscellaneous returns from retailers, suspected mis-operation, and minor damage to the box. As such they are not listed in backorder notices, so one of the best ways to determine if a refurbished product is in stock is to check the Canon Direct Store periodically.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for writing Canon.

Sincerely,

Althea
Product Support Representative

Still think it's bogus they now have 20+ in stock. My feeling is if you don't want to sell them for a lower price then don't put them on sale.

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:46 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon refurbished lens sale

It is bogus but you need to learn the game. There are times where I've seen the sale pop up and have actually seen the 24-70s in stock as well. Then 4 hours later all gone. Once in a while you'll find a TS-E, or one of the newest primes too. For me it is almost easier just buying used from someone here. Price is better and the chances of needing a warranty repair are extremely slim.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:01 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon refurbished lens sale

M. Best wrote:
I want to say it was $1570? I paid a little over $1700 after sales tax.

I got mine brand new from Greentoe for $1700 total when Canon had a $200 sale. Didn't even have to watch anything

Oct 18, 2017 at 02:43 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon refurbished lens sale

It is simple inventory culling management. Once a lens goes beyond an inventory level, it becomes a candidate for sale. The number available during the sale is a number close to the overage in inventory, and when they are gone, the quantity for sale is zero. After the sale, the inventory number is reset to the remaining in stock. These thresholds are likely controlled by their demand at the normal price sales rate.

Oct 18, 2017 at 05:24 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon refurbished lens sale

Yeah. It’s the tax that killed the deal. Still a decent price and I love it all the same.

diverhank wrote:
I got mine brand new from Greentoe for $1700 total when Canon had a $200 sale. Didn't even have to watch anything

Oct 18, 2017 at 07:21 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon refurbished lens sale

FYI this lens was in stock today and is at the sale price. $1,427

You snooze you lose.

Oct 26, 2017 at 03:15 PM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon refurbished lens sale

It really is a matter of timing. I picked up a 1DX Mark II but it took me a couple of tries to get the timing right. On really popular items, you must not hesitate because quantities are always limited. The same with my 200 F2 from KEH and catching a 15% off sale. Timing was everything.

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:34 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon refurbished lens sale

This particular Canon refurb sale there were lenses in stock for at least an entire day. The 100-400II was $1,495 and the 70-200II was $1,427.

I got my notification from Canonpricewatch at 12:03am on Oct 26.

Mark

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.