New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2017 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Their What you need to know and announcement articles are up!

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

A smaller fixed lens M5 essentially. Main gripes, I preferred the mk II's 5x zoom range, which was perfect for travel. I'd have accepted a bit more weight to at least see a 24-96 equivalent. At this price point lack of 4K is plain sad, as it has all the right pieces in place. Buffer is rather small, battery life just keeps going backwards, although is always much better than CIPA rating.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:57 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

If the lens delivers....

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:37 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Interesting

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:47 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Pixel Perfect wrote:
A smaller fixed lens M5 essentially. Main gripes, I preferred the mk II's 5x zoom range, which was perfect for travel. I'd have accepted a bit more weight to at least see a 24-96 equivalent. At this price point lack of 4K is plain sad, as it has all the right pieces in place. Buffer is rather small, battery life just keeps going backwards, although is always much better than CIPA rating.

Yes, too bad about the limited zoom range - just like with many other recent "quality compacts". With the huge price I don't see how this can compete with an RX100-3 from 3.5 years ago (a similar camera in many ways, and probably with a better quality lens ...). Also, I have to wonder how much smaller this is in practice compared to a much cheaper SL2 with kit zoom; both will at best fit in some coat pockets and usually require a camera bag.

I'm still looking for a quality compact to replace my DSLR with 15-85IS zoom. The Nikon DL 24-85 seemed close enough but never made it to market and all the others have limitations especially regarding optics (small zoom range, low image quality on at least one end of the zoom range, and sometimes very weak close-up quality as well) or ergonomics.

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:18 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

It sure is an ugly duckling. Musta been designed by a committee using spare parts from several models...

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:28 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

technic wrote:
Also, I have to wonder how much smaller this is in practice compared to a much cheaper SL2 with kit zoom; both will at best fit in some coat pockets and usually require a camera bag.

Big difference. 250% the volume and 150% the weight compared to the SL2/kit. No chance to get the SL2/kit in any of my coat pockets or side pockets. No problem with the G1 X III.

The APS-C sensor is 2.8 times larger in area than 1", and that matters quite a bit for the maximum image quality you can get, if the lens delivers.

This camera is a different class than the 1" compacts, and it is very small and light for what it does. It smashes tha Leica X vario.

Oct 16, 2017 at 04:31 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/canon_powershot_g1_x_mark_iii_photos

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:58 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

1300 USD? Did they hit their head on a kitchen cabinet or something?

No 4K again? I guess all the vlogging babes won't be ditching their Sony cameras for that sweet Dual Pixel AF...

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:12 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

alundeb wrote:
Big difference. 250% the volume and 150% the weight compared to the SL2/kit. No chance to get the SL2/kit in any of my coat pockets or side pockets. No problem with the G1 X III.

The APS-C sensor is 2.8 times larger in area than 1", and that matters quite a bit for the maximum image quality you can get, if the lens delivers.

This camera is a different class than the 1" compacts, and it is very small and light for what it does. It smashes tha Leica X vario.

I will believe that 'maximum image quality' when I see it ... Until recently Canon APS-C sensors were hardly better than 1 inch sensors. They have catch-upped lately, but RX100 zoom has 1-2 stops advantage in aperture, and I would be surprised if Canon put a really sharp lens on a fixed lens camera (the G1X had a pretty good lens but that was the proverbial exception to the rule, most other fixed lens cameras including other expensive models have compromised lenses).

It will need to be a lot better in practice than RX100 series, given the much higher price and bigger size (definitely non-pocketable unlike the RX100-3 which is borderline pocketable).

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Milan Hutera wrote:
1300 USD? Did they hit their head on a kitchen cabinet or something?

No 4K again? I guess all the vlogging babes won't be ditching their Sony cameras for that sweet Dual Pixel AF...

You will get 4K and who knows high quality fullHD video in 2-3 years time with G1XIV, costing $2000 ... but they will remove a few features of the current model ;-)

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

I luv my g1X mk 1 as a second body. For all its sluggishness it delivers amazing image quality IMHO. The mk 2 lens didn't do as well as far as my research could tell, probably because they tried to push to the magic 24 mm equivalent wide. And they messed with the proper flippy screen.

This new one looks to be smaller and lighter than the original by a smidge. Its quite expensive but that may be a good thing. It may mean they put the engineering into this little brick to make it perform. Time will tell. I just purchased an SL2 at less than half the cost. Still, I like having two bodies when traveling and an SL2 with 55-250 and this 15-45 camera is lighter than just the 15-85 lens without body attached. Ask me again next spring when I've recovered from this year's purchases.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM
matejphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Lack of 4K and a mic input is dumb. With those things it would be a great vlogger/youtube camera. If those two things were included, the price would not be an issue.

As is, I expect the price to drop very fast.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

technic wrote:
I will believe that 'maximum image quality' when I see it ... Until recently Canon APS-C sensors were hardly better than 1 inch sensors.

There is no need to bring in old sensors in this debate. There is no need to wait for the "maximum image quality" either. I have both Rx100 III and Canon G7x cameras, and while very good the just don't hold up as well as 24 MP APS-C of any modern make in large prints. If you don't see any significant difference between 1" and APS-C yourself, there is of course no reason for you to look at this camera. What we need to wait for is the lens performance.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

alundeb wrote:
... What we need to wait for is the lens performance.

Amen to that. I think we all know what to expect from the 24 MP sensor.

I'll add that one of the advantages of the G1X series is the availability of a 40M underwater housing for relatively less and more compact than the 3rd party housings for cameras like the SL series.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

This camera was always going to have the new 24mp APS-C sensor so I can't believe anyone is surprised by lack of 4k. It doesn't have 4k in any other camera currently using it.

That said, wow that price tag is steep especially with the X100T now down ~650 used.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Still, I like having two bodies when traveling and an SL2 with 55-250 and this 15-45 camera is lighter than just the 15-85 lens without body attached.

Then the question is if this 15-45 lens is optically better than the 15-85 (I'm saying better because the range is sure less convenient). Hopefully it is at least better than the 18-55 kit zoom, because that lens is a lot lighter than the G1X III.

Anyway, for those who prefer to travel with just one APS-C body the G1XIII is not going to save any weight unless all you need is 15-45mm.

Oct 16, 2017 at 01:49 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Technic: So I have 15-85, G1X v1, and have had several 18-55s. In several comparisons of my G1X with the 15-85 mounted on an XXD, pixel peeping the horizontal edges (and central parts) showed equal sharpness between the two. The 15-85 pulled ahead in sharpness towards the long end of the G1X' range. Direct comparisons of my G1X with my 24-105 mounted on an original 5D (same horizontal pixel count) showed the G1X nearly equal in sharpness at the wider ends. The 5D of course had better noise characteristics and a bit better color. Generally the 24-105 on FF has a bit better overall IQ than the 15-85 on my APS-C bodies. The 18-55s have never been very sharp at the edges by comparison.

In general use my G1X has taken marvelously sharp, detailed images. I read somewhere that it has a weak AA filter but I don't know. Anyway, before I'd consider the G1X mk 3, its lens better perform at least as well as my G1X at the 24 MP pixel level and at least equal to the 15-85 on my SL2. In my research the Ms looked like contenders to replace my G but the lenses didn't hold up to the challenge. IMHO. The 15-45 is the new standard M lens, my G is sharper and the new G better be as well.

Can't say if this G would be a good all around P&S for most people. I've always used mine for backpacking or as a second body covering the normal range so my bigger camera can have other lenses mounted. And it takes an underwater housing. I expect it to yield SLR quality imagery.

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:29 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Technic: So I have 15-85, G1X v1, and have had several 18-55s. In several comparisons of my G1X with the 15-85 mounted on an XXD, pixel peeping the horizontal edges (and central parts) showed equal sharpness between the two. The 15-85 pulled ahead in sharpness towards the long end of the G1X' range. Direct comparisons of my G1X with my 24-105 mounted on an original 5D (same horizontal pixel count) showed the G1X nearly equal in sharpness at the wider ends. The 5D of course had better noise characteristics and a bit better color. Generally the 24-105 on FF
...Show more

The 15mm end is indeed the weakest part of the 15-85, it's very sharp at the long end (which I hardly use ...). The M 15-45 seems to be a relatively low quality lens, G1X3 lens should be way better given the price. My experience with the 18-55IS is that its corner sharpness at WA wasn't any worse than 15-85 when focused correctly, but it had severe frontfocus issues in the WA range that can destroy all detail when relying on PDAF. The main problem with the 18-55IS was the general lack of sharpness at 45-55mm, the newer STM version seems to be better at the long end.

I have compared the 15-85IS on 450D with original 24-105L on 5D years ago and found the 15-85 clearly better at the WA end, the 24-105 had naughty CA and worse corner sharpness for infinity scenes and I found the 15-85 sharper at the top end of the zoom range as well. Probably both zooms have lots of sample variation though.

Optics seems the main problem when making compact, high quality cameras (with sufficient zoom range etc.). Most quality compacts are compromised due to the lens (nowadays often relatively bright but with some obvious flaws like bad corner sharpness due to 'corner stretching', coma near wide open, decentering issues or too much sample variation); and some are compromised because of a good but relatively big/slow lens ;-(

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DPReview PowerShot G1 X Mark III Writeups

technic wrote:

I was comparing the wide ends at 28 effective where the G1X and 18-55s start. This should help the 15-85 being off its extreme end. All the 18-55s have been STMs. I also compared images after running through lightroom's lens corrections since this is what I would always do anyway. My 24-105 may be exceptional since I've read many disparaging remarks but after lens correction it does fine even at 24, 105 is certainly acceptable. Been using mine for over 10 years and am still happy. You can see in my profile I have decent lenses to compare it to.

I bought my G1X in '09 when first introduced, (from Crutchfield because B&H didn't have them yet) for $800. I'm hoping that the $1200 introductory price of the mk 3 means they've built a quality product. The smaller zoom range could help that. But as seen the M15-45 isn't as good as the M18-55 so we shall have to wait and see.

Oct 16, 2017 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.