Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Above Kamloops Lake

Lake

Oct 15, 2017 at 05:13 PM
Marlin Harris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Above Kamloops Lake

Beautiful picture. Always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.
Marlin

Oct 15, 2017 at 08:49 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Above Kamloops Lake

Thanks Marlin

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:08 AM
1emcsage

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Above Kamloops Lake

Very nice scene. I have only been in Kamloops once as a stop over on the Rocky Mountaineer. I once knew a young man many years ago from Greensburg PA USA and attended school in Washington DC. He went by the name Dick Joyce. Richard.

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:21 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Above Kamloops Lake

this is a beauty Rick

Morris

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Above Kamloops Lake

Thanks again, Morris

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Above Kamloops Lake

I think that's the ancestral home of the sub-species of rainbow trout that all of California's hatcheries use, the Kamloop rainbow trout. When I was in "fisheries" school, my professors said that the Kamloops came from the rockies. Very cool.

Oct 29, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Above Kamloops Lake

billsamuels wrote:
I think that's the ancestral home of the sub-species of rainbow trout that all of California's hatcheries use, the Kamloop rainbow trout. When I was in "fisheries" school, my professors said that the Kamloops came from the rockies. Very cool.

The term "Kamloops" trout is really a nickname rather than a sub-species of rainbow trout which is indigenous to much of British Columbia. Rainbow trout have indeed been stocked in several Western American States.

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:21 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Above Kamloops Lake

Rick Joyce wrote:
The term "Kamloops" trout is really a nickname rather than a sub-species of rainbow trout which is indigenous to much of British Columbia. Rainbow trout have indeed been stocked in several Western American States.

Rick - NO, Kamloops is a subspecies of the rainbow trout, hence, the scientific name of the rainbow trout is Oncorhynchus mykiss (Genus, species). The trinomen, which combines Genus, species, and subspecies for the Kamloops subspecies is "Oncorhynchus mykiss kamloops." No different than our own scientific name (humans) which is Homo sapiens sapiens.

I admit that I heard wrong about Kamloops coming from Kamloops Lake in British Columbia - their ancestrial home is Lake Kootenay in British Columbia to which two different subsets of Kamloops exist, one that matures young and gets to around 10 lbs and the other than matures older, lives in deeper parts of Lake Kootenay, and they're the ones that can get to 50lbs.

I would NEVER admit to knowing a whole lot about photography as I've only taken a couple of college classes in it. However, I spent six years in college pursuing a degree in Fisheries Biology and Aquaculture so I do know something about salmon and trout, and fish taxonomy.

I did just mean to say that you took a cool photo of a place that I heard a lot about, even though it was originally wrong information I heard all these years ago. I hope to get up to the Canadian Rockies one day - looks like a great place to get magnificent photos!

This is where I spent last week at work - doing trout surveys on a No. California stream.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Above Kamloops Lake

billsamuels wrote:
Rick - NO, Kamloops is a subspecies of the rainbow trout, hence, the scientific name of the rainbow trout is Oncorhynchus mykiss (Genus, species). The trinomen, which combines Genus, species, and subspecies for the Kamloops subspecies is "Oncorhynchus mykiss kamloops." No different than our own scientific name (humans) which is Homo sapiens sapiens.

I admit that I heard wrong about Kamloops coming from Kamloops Lake in British Columbia - their ancestrial home is Lake Kootenay in British Columbia to which two different subsets of Kamloops exist, one that matures young and gets to around 10 lbs and the other than
...Show more

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. The larger rainbow from Kootenay Lake are known locally as Gerrard Rainbow and do reach 50 pounds. They spawn in a very short 200 - 300 foot stretch of the Lardeau River which is a tributary to the north end of Kootenay Lake.

You will find your visit to the Canadian Rockies most rewarding even though Kootenay Lake lies to the west between the Selkirk and Purcell Mountain ranges.

Kamloops Lake is not really a true lake at all but rather a deepening and widening of the Thompson River.

Cheers

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:58 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Above Kamloops Lake

Rick Joyce wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Bill. The larger rainbow from Kootenay Lake are known locally as Gerrard Rainbow and do reach 50 pounds. They spawn in a very short 200 - 300 foot stretch of the Lardeau River which is a tributary to the north end of Kootenay Lake.

You will find your visit to the Canadian Rockies most rewarding even though Kootenay Lake lies to the west between the Selkirk and Purcell Mountain ranges.

Kamloops Lake is not really a true lake at all but rather a deepening and widening of the Thompson River.

Cheers

Rick - I actually saw that. Genetically, the Gerrard rainbows are Kamloops. It's kind of like how you can catch 25lb Steelhead trout in a river that's open to the ocean. I caught a 13lb Steelhead on the Columbia River once and it was the best trout I ever ate, but it looked just like the flesh of a salmon. Yet Steelhead are also "O. mykiss irideus" (subspecies irideus). Actually both Steelhead and Kamloops are members of the Redband rainbow trouts.
There are >36,000 species of fish worldwide and a lot more subspecies than that. We haven't even discovered thousands more yet in the rain forests. The only good way to determine relationships, like with the Kamloops, is genetics because variation within a subspecies can be so great.
Now back to photography...Cheers, Bill

Oct 31, 2017 at 01:06 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Above Kamloops Lake

billsamuels wrote:
Rick - I actually saw that. Genetically, the Gerrard rainbows are Kamloops. It's kind of like how you can catch 25lb Steelhead trout in a river that's open to the ocean. I caught a 13lb Steelhead on the Columbia River once and it was the best trout I ever ate, but it looked just like the flesh of a salmon. Yet Steelhead are also "O. mykiss irideus" (subspecies irideus). Actually both Steelhead and Kamloops are members of the Redband rainbow trouts.
There are >36,000 species of fish worldwide and a lot more subspecies than that. We haven't even discovered thousands
...Show more

It is my understanding that the Steelhead which is a sea run trout is genetically identical to the Kamloops/ Rainbow trout.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:25 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Above Kamloops Lake

Both Kamloops and Steelhead are rainbow trout, but just as you're not genetically identical to your sister or your mother, Kamloops are kamloops and Steelhead are Steelhead. Each is a subspecies of rainbow trout, but they're both rainbow trout. Genetics has gotten so exact that we can now see what river they were born on even if they don't live on that watershed anymore. We can tell what time of year they were born (spring or fall run) and how old they are.

Both fish are members of the Columbia River Redband rainbows because the Columbia gets water from Canada via the Snake River. I guess they're cousins.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.