Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Some more from Last week.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some more from Last week.

I took a lot of shots Wednesday morning, Liek to get your take on this series.

First blush

Awakening

Sun Kist

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:02 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some more from Last week.

Well... I don't think there is any question which one I like the most.

#3 all day long for me. Great colors and a nice wisp of color in the clouds but not so much that it steals the show away from those fall colors.

Your processing and colors look great to my eyes. No color cast and deep rich colors.

I have no nits to offer.

Dave

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some more from Last week.

Thanks Dave, that last one is going to be printed for my 16x45 frame.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:17 AM
pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some more from Last week.

First Blush is pretty good to with the tip of the peak showing sunshine.

What was the sky like say 15 minutes earlier, was there more colour in it?

Oct 16, 2017 at 02:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some more from Last week.

pliukait wrote:
First Blush is pretty good to with the tip of the peak showing sunshine.

What was the sky like say 15 minutes earlier, was there more colour in it?

Yes, but only in the south, I think I showed it already. I will check and if not I will add it here.

Here ya go

Oct 16, 2017 at 05:25 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some more from Last week.

Ah, very nice, the soft pastel colours give it a warm feel.

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:26 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some more from Last week.

Ben, I know these are all pano's so I need to share this one with ya.
You'll get a good laugh out of this one.

I literally just finished stitching together an absolute monster pano I shot up in NY.
I could print this thing 17 feet long @ 300ppi. I kid you not! 26 frames coming in at 60,613 x 6,728!
It would have been even larger but it was so massive LR choked on it and I had to kill the last 5 frames just to get it to stitch.

In the end it's pretty useless, unless I used it as wallpaper border. I have no idea why I even wasted my time shooting such a beast. I guess maybe just to prove to myself the limits of using this technique. And well... to prove what a OCD moron I can be.

Anyhow, I thought you (and anyone else reading this) would get a good laugh out of that one.
Meanwhile, I now have to hard crash out of my system because LR is now locked up just trying to display this damn thing.

Dave

Oct 16, 2017 at 06:59 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some more from Last week.

So the file size is 407MB in size? 60,613 x 6,728

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some more from Last week.

Hey Dave, I have actually printed several 16x45 from single shots from the 5DSR, then end up around 200PPI and look pretty good depending on subject matter. I typically use pano methods when I have a wide subject scene and usually have either 3 or 4 images to stitch. I think anything over 300PPI at print size is not going to make much difference.

The advantage is that I am using the sweet part of my sharpest lens so the image is good pretty much corner to corner.

I do have 64gb ram and two Ram drives and a fast processor. I can do a pano in about 5 minutes.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:19 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some more from Last week.

pliukait wrote:
So the file size is 407MB in size? 60,613 x 6,728

I think it's much larger than that but I'll have to check tonight. After I rebooted my system last night I quickly tried saving as a jpeg @ 80% but that didn't go so well and took nearly 15 minutes.

Glutton for punishment I am.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Hey Dave, I have actually printed several 16x45 from single shots from the 5DSR, then end up around 200PPI and look pretty good depending on subject matter. I typically use pano methods when I have a wide subject scene and usually have either 3 or 4 images to stitch. I think anything over 300PPI at print size is not going to make much difference.

The advantage is that I am using the sweet part of my sharpest lens so the image is good pretty much corner to corner.

I do have 64gb ram and two Ram drives and a fast processor.
...Show more

I've been looking into this a bit lately and thought 300ppi was the standard to strive for. That's good to know that even 200ppi yields acceptable results. I don't have but merely half the pixels you do so this will be helpful moving forward.

I'm struggling along with only 16gb of ram on an i5-4690k CPU @3.5GHZ. Until I started working on pano's using the 26mp files off my 6DII, it was doing fine. But now I think I might need to upgrade my system again.

But I digress, I just thought you'd get a kick out of my stupidity.

Dave

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some more from Last week.

3rd for me
you really master these captures, Ben!
And glorious scenery.
I am curious: do you find most 45 inch wide images OK from a single capture with your body and the 16-35 or 24-70? I have a 17-40 and 24-105. Both get a bit soft and the edges (and only a MK II). I haven't tried anything beyond 30 inch wide with some uprezzing.

Scott

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some more from Last week.

sbeme wrote:
3rd for me
you really master these captures, Ben!
And glorious scenery.
I am curious: do you find most 45 inch wide images OK from a single capture with your body and the 16-35 or 24-70? I have a 17-40 and 24-105. Both get a bit soft and the edges (and only a MK II). I haven't tried anything beyond 30 inch wide with some uprezzing.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I print 16x45 on a few that don't have a lot of detail at the edges. The samples in this thread would not work too well. I like my grass to be razor sharp and it is in these images, but would be pretty soft with a single image, even with good glass..

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.