Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

The Hexagonal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

Hello everyone,

Years ago, when the NEX-7 was announced, I got my hands on one of the first bodies that came out back then (a rare feat because of the Tsunami damage that paralyzed much of the NEX production) and a 24mm 1.8 lens for it.

When the RX1 came out, I went that way and today I own the RX1R II. The main reason I left the 24mm 1.8/NEX 7 combo was that the field curvature of the 24mm 1.8 was too much for my liking. If Outdoors, if I would focus in the middle of the frame on something about 3-4m in fornt of me, the edges the focus field will sharpen towards infinity as it made its way to the edges of the framet. On the same note, if I focused on something that would be on the 1/3 or 1/4 of either side, the middle plane of focus would shift towards me. This annoyed me very much.

Same happened with a CV 35mm 1.2 II I had then as well. I assume this is because of how the NEX 7 sensor was built/implementd, so I wonder if the field curvature of the 24mm 1.8 is still as prominent as I remember it or if it remains the same.I have scoured for a few samples online on flickr trying to look for it but there is a lot of jpegs and over cooking of the files to allow me to have a good view point of the way the combo behaves.

Any samples or words on this, I'll be very grateful.

Oct 15, 2017 at 06:42 AM
idsurfer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

I'm using the E 24/1.8 ZA on an a6500 and find it to be stellar. Now, I don't analyze my shots too death but feel the focus is always tack sharp on my subject and haven't noticed anything you describe. I think the focal plan with this combination seems to be pretty accurate.

Here are a couple recent shots that might help. First one the focus was obviously on the rider. Everything in that focal plane seems to be in focus and infinity at the edges is appropriately OOF for f/2.2. The focal plane and infinity point in the second seem to be accurate as well. I have many more shots taken with this lens on my Flickr.

Oct 15, 2017 at 09:53 AM
The Hexagonal

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

Hi idsurfer,

Thanks for the pics.

Looking at your flickr account I found this photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/coryshuler/37242913556/

I guess it is the way the lens draws and that's that. The fall-off between focus and out of focus isn't drastic and I think it never really was with that lens. However, the field curvature is still there. On that shot above, I imagine that you tried to focus on the rider as he was passing. However, the plants in the centre of the frame are very much in focus, but so are the hills behind it, especially when you compare them to the hills on the left.

I've been researching this switch back to APS-C to get more lenses. I don't want to have two systems (APS and RX1 or A7x and RX1) and I think tha the goldilocks balance is in APS, hence why I am exploring that route. Just had a look at the Fuji 23mm 1.4 that you can get for the X-xx cameras and that has a nice way of drawing the photo. It has good separation. Not as sharp as the 24mm 1.8, but it behaves a bit more to my liking. I do find it difficult, though, to buy any of those cameras just because the size they have (same as a Contax G2, which I think Fuji ripped off when designing the X Pro cameras) is silly compared to what Sony has done with the a6000/6300/6500/NEX6-7 cameras and even more silly compared to the RX1. That 23mm does work nicely from what I can see, though. (I also took a look at another 23mm they make and that looks like a big step backwards)

Oct 15, 2017 at 03:13 PM
idsurfer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

Hmmm...what you describe is very subtle and I can't say I really see any issue....but that's just me...to each is own. For the sake of discussion only, my perception of the shot you linked is that it was taken with with a semi wide angle 24mm (36mm Fov equiv) and shot at f/3.2. This is going to result in family decent amount of Dof and therefore only subtle change between in focus and OOF. As far as I can tell the rider and everything in that focal plane seems to be in focus. The plants further down the trail are appropriately OOF as are the hills even further away on the right. I suppose one might expect the hills on the left of the frame to be even more OOF as they are further away, but again wide angle and 3.2 might be contributing. Anyhoo...you make an interesting observation. I'll look a little closer now at some of the shots with this lens. Good luck in your pursuit!

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:04 AM
The Hexagonal

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E 24mm 1.8 on a6500 vs NEX 7 (field curvature)

Sorry for the late reply.

I hope I did not cause any paranoia!

I think this isn't a lens failure or anything like that. It's worth noting that I am coming from the RX1 family of cameras and I am struggling to let go of them.

On that same note, I am making a big push for video wth the GH5 and I would love to have "one system". I was thinking of going a6500 for video and stills but the codec of those cameras isn't up to scratch for video. So, since I am going m4/3 for video, and the 17mm 1.2 from Olympus was announced, I am now looking into that direction and see how that lens renders images.

Thanks for chiming in!

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.