New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · WWYD?

RyanDelaney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WWYD?

WWYD?

So, hypothetically you have around $2k to spend on gear. Pretty committed to Fuji but open minded, have a few m42 lenses (28/55, 70-200) and film camera to use and create a nice balanced kit.

With today’s offerings what do you choose and why?

Edit:

I am a serious hobbyist, used for family outings, chasing a toddler, casual portraits, some travel and local adventures (beach/desert/hiking etc.) I prefer a PJ style over formal portraits and usually shoot B&W. I like to have an everyday carry, but want some versatility. I carry a small shoulder bag or backpack (always) as I have a young daughter.

Thanks for your input.

Edited on Oct 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:46 AM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WWYD?

I suggest the Fuji X-T2. with the 18-55 kit lens. I have had mine since shortly after they were released and like the camera for almost everything I shoot. It is a great "all-in-one" camera/lens, I think. The image quality is amazing!

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:46 AM
chouska
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WWYD?

This...or if you shoot more street get a used XP2 and the 23 & 50 f2 lenses.

gaopa wrote:
I suggest the Fuji X-T2. with the 18-55 kit lens. I have had mine since shortly after they were released and like the camera for almost everything I shoot. It is a great "all-in-one" camera/lens, I think. The image quality is amazing!

Oct 14, 2017 at 06:25 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WWYD?

DesertRhino wrote:
WWYD?

So, hypothetically you have around $2k to spend on gear. Pretty committed to Fuji but open minded, have a few m42 lenses (28/55, 70-200) and film camera to use and create a nice balanced kit.

I have $5,000 to buy a vehicle, I'm pretty committed to Toyota. What should I get?

See how hard it is to provide useful recommendations with such limited information?

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:58 AM
RyanDelaney
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WWYD?

jecottrell wrote:
I have $5,000 to buy a vehicle, I'm pretty committed to Toyota. What should I get?

See how hard it is to provide useful recommendations with such limited information?

Ahh, yes of course. Post updated. Funny, I’m also in the market for a used car. Looking to spend about 5k and will most likely be a Toyota. :-)

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WWYD?

DesertRhino wrote:
WWYD?

Edit:

I am a serious hobbyist, used for family outings, chasing a toddler, casual portraits, some travel and local adventures (beach/desert/hiking etc.) I prefer a PJ style over formal portraits and usually shoot B&W. I like to have an everyday carry, but want some versatility. I carry a small shoulder bag or backpack (always) as I have a
...Show more

If anyone (anyone?) keeps track, I usually avoid telling people "which camera is right" for them, preferring that they look at camera features and try to map them to their own preferences. Fujifilm makes a bunch of cameras with different pluses and minuses, and several of them might be right for you.

That said...

If you prefer to use zoom lenses and want the current "best" option, that is almost certainly the XT2.

If you preferred to shoot with moderate focal length primes (moderately wide to slightly long) I would suggest considering the XPro2 with its hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. The OVF is great (at least for me) for doing things like street photography with those primes, but it is not great for use with zooms. However, you can switch to the EVF when you use them. If one's primary use is primes, with an occasional desire to use zooms (that's my use case), the XPro2 can fit the bill.

The XE3 might be worth considering if you want a smaller body. It has the same 24MP sensor, but is smaller and lighter.

Quick summary:

XT2 functions much like a smaller DSLR (though it isn't actually that) with a high quality EVF

XPro2 functions like a old school rangefinder-style camera with an optical viewfinder, but also allows you to switch to EVF.

XE3 is also a rangefinder style camera but it foregoes the optical viewfinder and faux-DSLR design to produce a smaller and lighter body.

All three will produce essentially equal image quality.

Dan

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM
RyanDelaney
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WWYD?

gdanmitchell wrote:
If anyone (anyone?) keeps track, I usually avoid telling people "which camera is right" for them, preferring that they look at camera features and try to map them to their own preferences. Fujifilm makes a bunch of cameras with different pluses and minuses, and several of them might be right for you.

That said...

If you prefer to use zoom lenses and want the current "best" option, that is almost certainly the XT2.

If you preferred to shoot with moderate focal length primes (moderately wide to slightly long) I would suggest considering the XPro2 with its hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. The OVF is
...Show more

Thank you for the detailed write up, Dan. I really want the XPro2 and a few primes, leaning that way.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.