New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Driftwood

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and photography in general (purchased first DSLR a year ago) and could use some advice.

I purchased an A7R2 a few months back and bought a 24-70 f4 to go along with it. I enjoy taking landscapes when I go hiking in the Rockies, so next I purchased a 16-35 f2.8 GM.

I will be travelling a lot from December until next year and would like to purchase another native lens (don't want to use adapters), something that I can keep on my camera most of the time as a walk around lens in the city, and occasionally swapping to the 16-35 when I want a wide angle shot. I think the 24-70 f4 is a very versatile lens with its focal length, but I want something faster, and something that will give me beautiful, smooth, round bokeh. I will be listing the 24-70 f4 for sale soon.

Ideally I'd like to just bring my 16-35 f2.8 GM along with one other lens for all my travel needs. Is my answer the 24-70 f2.8 GM? I'm not sure if I can justify the cost of one as there is a large focal length overlap between the 16-35 and 24-70. I justified getting the 16-35 f2.8 GM after a 24-70 f4 because it was faster, weather sealed (important when hiking), and better quality, even though there is a focal length overlap as well.

Sorry for the rambling, but ultimately I would like your advice on two things:
1) which lens should I bring on my travels to pair with my 16-35 f2.8 GM, without needing an adapter?
2) would you personally be able to justify a focal length overlap between 16-35 and 24-70?

Thank you very much for reading my post, and hope to hear from some of you!

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM
wildwildwes

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Notwithstanding the extra stop it affords one, definitely the 24-70 GM. Completely outclasses the F/4 iteration.

Cheers-

W

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:54 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Since you like the 16-35mm GM lens and you feel that the overlap between that and the 24-70mm lens is too much, I would suggest for you to consider a fast, prime lens? The FE 55mm f/1.8 lens is a superb performer and it is lightweight. A new one is on the pricey side though but if you are not against buying a used copy, the price is fairly reasonable. A little further apart from the long end of the 16-35mm GM is the FE 85mm f/1.8 lens, another prime and fast lens of established reputation. Something to consider.... BTW, I love my FE 24-70 GM lens but I do have the FE 12-24 G that covers my ultra wide zoom needs.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Driftwood

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

wildwildwes wrote:
Notwithstanding the extra stop it affords one, definitely the 24-70 GM. Completely outclasses the F/4 iteration.

Cheers-

W

From what I see in sample photos, I completely agree. I'm trying to sell my 24-70 f4 as we speak.
---------------------------------------------

AGeoJO wrote:
Since you like the 16-35mm GM lens and you feel that the overlap between that and the 24-70mm lens is too much, I would suggest for you to consider a fast, prime lens? The FE 55mm f/1.8 lens is a superb performer and it is lightweight. A new one is on the pricey side though but if you are not against buying a used copy, the price is fairly reasonable. A little further apart from the long end of the 16-35mm GM is the FE 85mm f/1.8 lens, another prime and fast lens of established reputation. Something to consider.... BTW,
...Show more

Just checked out sample photos taken using the 55mm f1.8 and it really is a great lens. Bonus because it's small and compact as well. I think I'll have to go to my local camera store and try out the 85mm to see how it feels, since the gap between 35mm and 85mm is quite large. Thank you for your input!

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:03 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

35mm, 55mm, and 85mm lenses make up a perfectly spaced trio. In your situation I’d get the reasonably priced but excellent FE 85/1.8, knowing that If the gap proved too large I could fill it later with the FE 55/1.8.

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:22 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Maybe you need a zoom (many do for their reasons), but in case you want more lens speed flexibility (f1.8 is still very good), consistent bokeh, better stopped down work at f8, great for people and buildings, etc. there is the FE 55/1.8. It'll make you better photographs than a zoom for this kind of work.

Oct 14, 2017 at 07:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Since you have the 16-35 than I would go Sony 55,85 and pretty much call it a day. Except for maybe the evening going out you may just want a fast wide

Oct 14, 2017 at 07:47 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

GMPhotography wrote:
Since you have the 16-35 than I would go Sony 55,85 and pretty much call it a day. Except for maybe the evening going out you may just want a fast wide

I agree. The Sony 28 f/2 is the perfect small, (relatively) inexpensive, sharp, and fast wide prime. Also great for astrophotography. The Sony 28/2, 55/1.8, and 85/1.8 are the best bang for the buck lenses in the E/FE mount system and all three are compact. You also might want to consider swapping out the 55/1.8 for the 50/2.8 macro. You'll lose speed, but you'll gain the ability to do some macro. The 50/2.8 macro makes a nice general lens as well.

Scott

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:43 AM
Driftwood

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

genji wrote:
35mm, 55mm, and 85mm lenses make up a perfectly spaced trio. In your situation I’d get the reasonably priced but excellent FE 85/1.8, knowing that If the gap proved too large I could fill it later with the FE 55/1.8.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't have experience with primes but from what I've read, they can be much sharper than a zoom lens. Excited to give that setup a try next week when I visit my local camera store. May I ask why you're suggesting the 55/1.8 instead of the 50/1.4?

philip_pj wrote:
Maybe you need a zoom (many do for their reasons), but in case you want more lens speed flexibility (f1.8 is still very good), consistent bokeh, better stopped down work at f8, great for people and buildings, etc. there is the FE 55/1.8. It'll make you better photographs than a zoom for this kind of work.

I think I will have to get used to zooming with my feet. Right now I have the convenience of staying stationary while zooming to compose my shots. Being forced to move in order to compose might help me explore different angles that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten. Thank you for your 55/1.8 suggestion! May I ask why you suggest this lens over the 50/1.4? I was reading some reviews and the bokeh from the 50/1.4 looked fantastic.

GMPhotography wrote:

Is there a reason why everyone is recommending the Sony 55 to fill the focal length gaps instead of the 50 f1.4? Is it due to bang for buck + smaller size? I really like the idea of playing with primes though. Thank you!

smpetty wrote:
I agree. The Sony 28 f/2 is the perfect small, (relatively) inexpensive, sharp, and fast wide prime. Also great for astrophotography. The Sony 28/2, 55/1.8, and 85/1.8 are the best bang for the buck lenses in the E/FE mount system and all three are compact. You also might want to consider swapping out the 55/1.8 for the 50/2.8 macro. You'll lose speed, but you'll gain the ability to do some macro. The 50/2.8 macro makes a nice general lens as well.

Scott

Filling my setup with a macro sounds like a fantastic idea. Thank you for suggesting it. There has been shots where I wish I could focus on a closer subject, but unable to with my current setup.

To everyone so far:
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I will give all the lens that have been suggested for a test this week!

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:00 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

You mentioned travel so the 50 1.4 although a really outstanding lens is big, heavy and not exactly cheap. But I highly recommend having it . Just might not be the best chouce for travel. Will depend on skill level as well as it’s the best of the bunch when it comes to 50mm. The 55mm is a great lens but it has some CA and the Bokeh could be a little swirley.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:08 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Driftwood wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I don't have experience with primes but from what I've read, they can be much sharper than a zoom lens. Excited to give that setup a try next week when I visit my local camera store. May I ask why you're suggesting the 55/1.8 instead of the 50/1.4?

Partly because you specified hiking and travel but also because the FE 50/1.4 didn't even occur to me. Why? Personal prejudice. Size and weight are prime factors for me so I have a strong preference for small and light lenses. When I say small I'm primarily talking about girth so filter size is a good guide. I can accept small and heavy (so I have the Loxia 85/2.4: 594g and 52mm filters) and I can accept large and light (so I also have the FE 85/1.8: 371g, 67mm filters). But, despite its being superb, I would never in a million years consider the FE 85/1.4 GM which is both large and heavy (820g, 77mm filters). The Zony FE 50/1.4 (778g, 72mm filters) also falls into the large and heavy category. So thanks but no thanks.

As for the Zony FE 55/1.8, it's small and light (281g, 49mm filters), its faults are not significant for me, and I've been consistently delighted with the results it yields.

Oct 15, 2017 at 06:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Hi Driftwood! Welcome to the FM Sony forum!

Back in olden days, long before AF was common, 35-70, and later 35-105, were common zoom lenses. These were complemented by 17-35 ultra wide angle zooms. Sadly, today we have wonderful 16-35 zooms, but no great zooms starting at 35, leading to your dilemma.

This lead me to jump on the 12-24/4G and pair it with either a 24-70 or 24-105 zoom, or manual focus Loxia 35 or 50 lens.

I don't see any problem getting the Sony 50/1.4, despite it being somewhat large and heavy. Image quality is where it's at! If you are only carrying two lenses, you can afford to let them be a little bulky or heavy. Carrying a bag full of lenses on short hikes can be heavy and awkward, but two lenses of moderate size should be fine.

Personally, I don't like to change lenses when making short hikes along woodland trails or brush. My choice is a second camera body (inexpensive used a7R) and leave the lenses alone, or rarely changed if carrying a third lens in a belt pouch in dry conditions. I frequently mount my 24-70/4 OSS (same as you have) on the a7R and utilize its built-in image stabilization, while using a non-stabilized lens on the a7R2 with its IBIS. Call me crazy, but the 24-70/4 looks considerably better to me on the a7R than the a7R2! And it's not the small increase in MP making the difference. Beside looking sharper, color and contrast of the f/4 look better, so I prefer spending on that second body over buying the newer 24-70/2.8GM, for the moment anyway -- leap-frogging strategy.

I like the IQ, size and controls of the Loxia lenses, but in your case a nice AF 50 could be your best choice. The little Sony 50 Macro actually gets good reviews on imaging, not so sure about build quality or durabiltiy, but it's cheap!

Having said all that, the 24-70/2.8GM is a great stand alone lens and makes the best for general shooting. So, it's hard to go wrong owning it, just not the best pairing with the 16-35 range.

Hope this helps your decision process.

Looking forward to seeing some of you shots.

Oct 15, 2017 at 08:38 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Since you dont mind weight, and want bokeh.. Sony Zeiss 50 1.4

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Driftwood

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

genji wrote:
Partly because you specified hiking and travel but also because the FE 50/1.4 didn't even occur to me. Why? Personal prejudice. Size and weight are prime factors for me so I have a strong preference for small and light lenses. When I say small I'm primarily talking about girth so filter size is a good guide. I can accept small and heavy (so I have the Loxia 85/2.4: 594g and 52mm filters) and I can accept large and light (so I also have the FE 85/1.8: 371g, 67mm filters). But, despite its being superb, I would never in a million
...Show more

I enjoy reading about the thought process and reasoning behind everyone's lens purchases. Thanks for sharing some of your insights! Really appreciate it.

Gunzorro wrote:
Hi Driftwood! Welcome to the FM Sony forum!

Back in olden days, long before AF was common, 35-70, and later 35-105, were common zoom lenses. These were complemented by 17-35 ultra wide angle zooms. Sadly, today we have wonderful 16-35 zooms, but no great zooms starting at 35, leading to your dilemma.

This lead me to jump on the 12-24/4G and pair it with either a 24-70 or 24-105 zoom, or manual focus Loxia 35 or 50 lens.

I don't see any problem getting the Sony 50/1.4, despite it being somewhat large and heavy. Image quality is where it's at! If
...Show more

Lately I've been thinking more and more about picking up a used a6000/6300/6500 for when I want to bring something more compact, and your post is really selling me on the idea on getting a second camera. Thanks for your warm welcome and helpful post. Adding two more lenses to try when I visit my local camera store as well (Loxia 30 & 50). I may be thankful but my wallet won't like you very much!

frezeiss wrote:
Since you dont mind weight, and want bokeh.. Sony Zeiss 50 1.4

Of the 50's everyone has suggested, the 1.4 is one of the ones I'm most excited to try. Do you own this lens or have personal experience with it?

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:02 AM
MrGubrz
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

genji wrote:

im thinking an 85 also
gives you a broader range, and the 85 will help feel more bokeh-y than the 55/1.8
depending on your weather protection needs, the 85/1.8 is lacking it but is cheap and amazing, the batis has weather sealing and is basically the same optically, but costs a noticeble chunk more. so figure out where you stand on weather sealing, and pick one!
GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:18 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

you have the 16-35GM lens which is fairly bulky to carry all the time.
consider buying a small prime lens, like the 28mm, 35mm or 50mm.
if you prefer longer FL then there's the 55mm and 85mm.
if you want another big bulky lens to cover all your need, then 24-70GM.

ultimately it all depends on your preferred FL and comfort.

I had the 24-70 f/4 lens too when I got my A7RII and returned it as I found it a little boring.
have 21,28,35,55 on my kit right now and thinking of letting the 28 go and get the 85mm instead.

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:40 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Sony shooter seeking lens advice

Hi Gabriel - welcome to FM! You have a lot of choices and (as usual) it all comes down to personal preference. It looks like you would be walking around with your 16-35mm GM (amazing lens!) and a prime. If that is the case, I would just add the 55/1.8 which is so good and so small. For me, I rarely go longer than 50mm when walking around cities taking photos. If you like longer FL shots, you may want to supplement with an 85mm as others have suggested. Also, the 28/2 and 55/1.8 would be a nice (and cheap) prime combo to consider.... If you want to try out the 55/1.8 shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:56 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.