New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · back to Canon - 5D4?

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · back to Canon - 5D4?

Get the 5d4, don't look back. You'll love it.

The 5dsr is an incredible image making machine, but it's all about the right tool for the right job. Not knowing what you shoot obviously, generally the 5d4 is the better all rounder camera. Basically, if you have to ask "should I get the 5dsr or the 5d4?" I'll almost always recommend the 5d4. I owned a 5dsr for a time, and I might get another because I do a lot of studio shooting at base iso, but the 5d4 is definitely a more flexible camera (depending on what you shoot).

I shot with a couple A7rii bodies for a couple years as my main professional kit, and ultimately went back to Canon 5d4s. Agree skin color (depending on your subjective tastes of course) is harder to nail with the Sony cameras, as I've noticed they tend to push the red, yellow and green saturation a lot in the RAW files. The Canon raw files tend to be more neutral. I'm sure people have other opinions, but I definitely have noticed a reduction in post-processing time and generally feeling happy about the end output of skin tones with the Canon.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:59 AM
memoria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · back to Canon - 5D4?

Dustin Gent wrote:
Wow, thanks for the input thus far.

About the "organic" color comment - Even when i had the D700 years ago, first digital Nikon camera i owned after selling the 1Ds, i was never happy with the colors. Sure you can massage the colors in ACR/etc, but it really isn't the same. The files of the 1Ds were something else - even comparing files from that camera to even my D610 of the same subjects in similar lighting.

When it is time to purchase, i may even look the 6D2 *gasp*.. My main concern is being able to use
...Show more

The 5D4 is really good in the color department. One of Canons best, but it needs some work. Initially the files may appear a bit "dull" - at least if you use LR. The Camera Standard profile adds color punch, but I think it's too contrasty and need manual adjustments for that alone.

The 6D2 is a far less complicated camera (don't get me started on the DR-whining online), but my eyes actually prefer those files for color right off the bat.

If you REALLY want "good" and pleasing colors, check out Fujifilm X-series. If you can live with a smaller sensor that is. If not, then there's the mighty GFX :-). Fujifilm has a really good consistent "color sauce" going on in their files and profiles. Which makes sense given their history.

Oct 15, 2017 at 03:02 AM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · back to Canon - 5D4?

The first thing that got my attention is that you want to keep using your C/Y-mount lenses, so that means Canon is the logical system, if you do not want to use Sony. I have used a Novoflex EOS-NIK adapter to use Nikon F-mount lenses on 7D and 5D cameras, and have, off and on, considered adding an adapter for C/Y, as I was tempted by the availability of various lenses. Nikon cameras are, comparatively, much less adapter-friendly, a big strike against Nikon, for this application, regardless of how tempting the D850 may be. (I am not knocking Nikon; I use both Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses, largely because I love lenses made by each.)

I cannot be specific about the 5D IV, as I do not (yet) have one. I do have a 5Ds R, but have not yet used it with adapted lenses.

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.