New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

taz_k
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

This poll is the same as for Sony FE 35/1.4 (created by Jonathan Brady - thank you!).

I'm curious about other members experience with the Sony 70-200/2.8 GM since it's a lens that, similar to FE 35/1.4 ZA, has a poor reputation regarding QC/sharpness.

I just bought the lens myself and is very happy so far. Sharpness appears to be high and uniform across the frame (files from A7RII viewed at 100%). This is my first zoom in a long while, my other lenses are Zeiss prime lenses (incl. Otus 55).

I purchased one copy and is very happy!

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:21 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

My copy was razor sharp and resolved on the A7rii very well.

Just my opinion, but I feel like people that immediately just start shooting test charts and brick walls to test for aberrations need to get out and shoot and stop obsessing over absolute sharpness.

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

One and done for me. Very happy

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:47 PM
oddjobprime
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

An amazing lens. I haven't shot walls or charts, but all of my images (95% people) are incredibly sharp, have beautiful colors and have lots of contrast. AF speed is lightning quick, zoom ring surprisingly easy to turn. I use it mostly for sports shooting with the A9 and could not be happier.

I did a quick comparison against the Batis 135 and honestly couldn't tell the difference. That being said, I don't see myself covering 8-hour events with the GM. Weight and cost are its only negatives, IMO.

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:52 PM
Wanny
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I've rented the lens twice and the first time it was incredible, the second it was pretty good.

Oct 13, 2017 at 02:03 PM
chardonet

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

My first copy was one of the first from the factory. Noticed softness at 2.8 throughout the range, but especially at 200mm. Had Precision Repair recalibrate. Got a bit better, but contacted Sony for better fix. They gave me another shop to send to, but I sold it at huge loss and bought another one. Fortunately, the second copy is good.

Oct 13, 2017 at 02:37 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I, evidentally, got a later copy. So far very happy and that's in comparision to my Nikkor 70-200 FL.

Oct 14, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I've avoided this lens due to the weight and size issue :-D

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I bought mine early on and I have been happy with its performance. I used it a fair amount and mostly for portraits.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:10 AM
taz_k
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I'm a bit surprised by the result so far. Even if it's a small number of replies so far, everyone who have bought the lens have found a lens that they've been happy with.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:56 AM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

sungphoto wrote:
My copy was razor sharp and resolved on the A7rii very well.

Just my opinion, but I feel like people that immediately just start shooting test charts and brick walls to test for aberrations need to get out and shoot and stop obsessing over absolute sharpness.

In general I am not really that type of guy. But since this lens costs € 3000,- in the Netherlands (which is roughly $3550 US) and has a reputation of QC issues, I did start with testing this lens. My copy is plenty sharp in the center from f2.8. but suffers from some loss of sharpness on the left side. It is clearly a bit decentered. However, after my post here (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510784/0) and consulting Roger Cicala in a private message about this (since he has a lot of experience with test results of these lenses) I decided to keep this copy. I basically don't want to take the chance getting a worse copy...

Oct 15, 2017 at 03:50 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I just wonder what people are shooting that requires this level of sharpness, especially wide open. Generally for the commercial, advertising and portrait work that I do, no client is saying "man this is a great photo, but I wish it was sharper" of course assuming the photo is in focus

If I wanted to get absolute sharpness out of the GM 70-200, I've found that there are more impactful variables to sharpness than lens QC, at least in my experience. I suppose I also would rather drink a shot of tabasco than sit and shoot test charts

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

any focus breathing with this lens?
has it ever gone on sale?
do you think it will go on sale?

Dec 28, 2017 at 05:58 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

one copy and its razor sharp

Dec 28, 2017 at 06:05 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I purchased this lens soon after it was first released. It was very soft compared to the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II that I had at the time. Since I had read the Lens Rental's test on this lens, which was not good, I was kicking myself for being so stupid as to order the lens, anyway. Of course, I returned it.

Several months ago, I downloaded some RAW files taken with this lens. I was a bit surprised at how sharp the files were. Also, the published Field Sharpness Maps from DXO looked excellent at 200mm f2.8, where I would use it the most. I then ordered another copy of the lens. This one was (is) fantastic and just slightly sharper than my excellent Canon lens (now sold). The difference between the copies of these two Sony lenses was so great, I assume that Sony initially had some production QA difficulties, as the variation seemed greater than typical copy variation.

Dec 28, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

So I guess the copies that I’ve been produced recently are good

Dec 28, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

According to LensRentals there hasn't been much change.... this is the one lens that kept me from going [back] to Sony. Bat signal @RCicala

Dj R wrote:
So I guess the copies that I’ve been produced recently are good

Dec 28, 2017 at 08:25 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

Blakehfreeman wrote:
According to LensRentals there hasn't been much change.... this is the one lens that kept me from going [back] to Sony. Bat signal @RCicala@

We haven't noticed any change, although I haven't retested in the last 4 months or so.

But let's put something in perspective -- our testing shows it's about as good as the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, which is a very good lens. Sony Fanboys lost their minds because it wasn't as good as the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 ED, which is amazingly good. If you recall, the Nikon was released before the Sony. Sony's computer-generated MTFs made it appear the GM would be better than the Nikon.

The GM is a really good 70-200 f/2.8 lens that will be shot on arguably a better sensor than 70-200 f/2.8 IS II lenses will. It should be no surprise images taken with it are excellent. There is a fair amount of copy-to-copy variation at 200mm with the GM; again, comparison with the Nikon makes it look bad, the Canon is better as far as variation but not hugely so.

Dec 29, 2017 at 07:49 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

Blakehfreeman wrote:
According to LensRentals there hasn't been much change.... this is the one lens that kept me from going [back] to Sony. Bat signal @RCicala@

We haven't noticed any change, although I haven't retested in the last 4 months or so.

But let's put something in perspective -- our testing shows it's about as good as the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, which is a very good lens. Sony Fanboys lost their minds because it wasn't as good as the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 ED, which is amazingly good. If you recall, the Nikon was released before the Sony. Sony's computer-generated MTFs made it appear the GM would be better than the Nikon and reality was it wasn't quite that good. Neither is the Canon.

The GM is a really good 70-200 f/2.8 lens that will be shot on arguably a better sensor than 70-200 f/2.8 IS II lenses will. It should be no surprise images taken with it are excellent. There is a fair amount of copy-to-copy variation at 200mm with the GM; again, comparison with the Nikon makes it look bad, the Canon is better as far as variation but not hugely so.

Dec 29, 2017 at 07:50 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your experience with the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM

I have one coming for rental next week from lensrentals. I need It great at 200mm. I have about 15 thousand images to shoot. Send me a good one Roger.

Dec 29, 2017 at 08:46 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.