New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Drop A7 for a6500?

jtrankler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drop A7 for a6500?

So I have been wondering... The tech between the two has changed quite a bit.

Is gaining more af points faster af. 4k video IBIS. Worth the loss of FF?

Or hold out more for A7r2 if Sony's possible new announcement next few months can bring it's price down a little?

Did some shooting in dark environment other day and base A7 just seemed to struggle with focusing in the lower light. I feel newer models would hold up better in lower light.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:42 AM
idsurfer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drop A7 for a6500?

Well, IMO one disadvantage of crop is low light situations. I switched from canon FF to a6500. While the AF works quite well in low light, I need to use higher ISO's to keep my SS's up which makes for a noisier image. So you might have to ask yourself if that trade off will work for you.

Oct 13, 2017 at 08:19 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drop A7 for a6500?

idsurfer wrote:
Well, IMO one disadvantage of crop is low light situations. I switched from canon FF to a6500. While the AF works quite well in low light, I need to use higher ISO's to keep my SS's up which makes for a noisier image. So you might have to ask yourself if that trade off will work for you.

The A7's sensor is quite old, and is mostly matched by the A6300/A6500. The only noticeable difference would be the loss of the "full frame look". DOF will be a bit wider, and you'll lose the widest of wide angles. In exchange, you can use wider apertures without them becoming too shallow as fast, and you get greater telephoto reach.

If you were comparing the A7R/S to the A6500, then you'd be losing something IQ-wise, but there's no problem vs the A7.

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:29 PM
desvenne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drop A7 for a6500?

jtrankler wrote:
So I have been wondering... The tech between the two has changed quite a bit.

Is gaining more af points faster af. 4k video IBIS. Worth the loss of FF?

Or hold out more for A7r2 if Sony's possible new announcement next few months can bring it's price down a little?

Did some shooting in dark environment other day and base A7 just seemed to struggle with focusing in the lower light. I feel newer models would hold up better in lower light.

Just how much of a lower price is "a little" to you?

I took advantage of the Sony dslr trade in, traded in my old Nikon D50 for a 10% discount (which is way higher than what I would've gotten on the second hand market, I mean, I wouldn't want to ask money to someone for a D50 now...). On top of that I traded in my A7, nex-5N and some accessories at the store. In the end I ended up taking almost 40% off the price that way.

There's always deals to be had.

One nice unsuspected extra is that the A7RII had both the camera charger, and the battery charger and two batteries in the box. For the A7 I bought a second battery separately and used the charger that came with the New-5N. So now I have 3 batteries total.

Oct 15, 2017 at 04:54 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.