Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
It’s 60 dollars more than a CV 65 APO that’s basically perfect optically. If your going by that standard I’m sorry but I’m scratching my head over the price. This has a look and it ends there. It’s also got lots of issues. Let’s just be real honest about it. I want it don’t get me wrong but if you take a very neutral stance on it which is really easy for me. I’m buying one thing that’s a look because everywhere else the CV 35 1.7 + PCX smokes it optically. This is a character lens pure and simple
...Show more

You just got mad because you just realized this lens is calling you. Resistance is futile.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:20 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
No I like what it is bringing to the table but some things I like to see fall off the table. Yes I know it’s a 1.2 lens and that brings a very small benefit over a 1.4 .

Anyway I’ll step away from this as I just don’t really want to get into it too much. Have fun

Agreed there's not much in f 1.2. If there was a much better f1.4 around I'd buy it! I'd certainly put up with that much reduction in speed to get better quality.

I don't think we disagree. I don't know if I can justify it for myself, and probably won't keep it - because the balance of nice things and nasty things is complicated. I was only reacting to fair price issue. But that's only an issue for someone that is attracted to the compromises it offers. And that's not you, and it might not be me!

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Here is one more sample at f/1.2. This aperture seems to be glued on my lens.
Honestly I'm happy with the resolution wide open (even off-axis). It's similar to what I was getting with the FE 35/1.4 ZA wide open. Rendering and colors are just gorgeous to me. This was taken under the worse lighting possible!

1:1 crop of the image above

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

how is this over priced? what modern f/1.2 lens performs better or costs less?

now that i hear there is a m-mount version coming, i'll probably wait for that though.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Lots of great samples, Fred! And nice to see CameraQuest posting nice samples here too

I also basically love using it at f1.2 for any shots where I want the beautiful bokeh, that's where the magic happens

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
You just got mad because you just realized this lens is calling you. Resistance is futile.

No I gotta piss and moan about first than buy the damn thing. Lol

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:38 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Besides I had to listen to that steeeeeep price talk for the Batis 135 for so long. My payback

Anyway 899 would feel better to me at least.

We always talk about how good IQ is versus money output right. Given some of the issues makes you wonder but like I said your buying a look and that’s the justification.

Where just fallen in that 1.2 dream land. Lol

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:44 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Maybe the 65 is underpriced. I won’t argue that one but don’t tell Cosina

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Lot's of good photo and evaluations, thanks to everyone here. The VC 40/1.2 certainly has a nice look wide open, but not being landscape sharp corner to corner kills it for me. I'm still liking my Oly 50/1.2 for a "normal" f/1.2 lens. The Oly may not have as much contrast wide open, but probably catches up stopped down just a little, and then surpasses the CV for sharpness across the frame. AF is also a great option for the Oly using the Techart.

It probably doesn't help that I am not a big 40mm fan anyway, at least not with the other currently available focal lengths, and that I also still have my Rollie/Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4. In the end, the CV 40 isn't attractive enough to me as a specialty lens.

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebbe
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

GMPhotography wrote:
No I gotta piss and moan about first than buy the damn thing. Lol

Maybe you should wait for the CV35/1.7 they want to release too... Or the M-version (if there is any) to add AF.

I'm in your boat. It would be a dream without the chromatic abberation and the softness to the corners. But on the other hand there are already hundreds of pictures with this lens, that proof it's value. Look at Freds fun park series. He can print them now, put it into an art galery and it would be a success. It's the character but also it's uniqueness of it's very good f1.2-performance and this at 40mm.

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:51 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

pdmphoto wrote:
Lot's of good photo and evaluations, thanks to everyone here. The VC 40/1.2 certainly has a nice look wide open, but not being landscape sharp corner to corner kills it for me. I'm still liking my Oly 50/1.2 for a "normal" f/1.2 lens. The Oly may not have as much contrast wide open, but probably catches up stopped down just a little, and then surpasses the CV for sharpness across the frame. AF is also a great option for the Oly using the Techart.

It probably doesn't help that I am not a big 40mm fan anyway, at least not with
...Show more

I don’t think the lens makes any sense at all if you aren’t a 40mm fan; it’s the unusual speed *for a 40* that is attractive. If you prefer 50 then 1.4 is roughly blur equivalent and there are plenty of them, some better sone cheaper..

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:08 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

I know the FE 55 f/1.8 is a different focal length but it's a lens I'm intimately familiar with. Is there any chance you could post some shots with similar compositions comparing the 40 and 55 particularly with out of focus back grounds?

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:34 AM
path_integral

p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

So, I have the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 with PCX and am wondering what the thoughts are about the differences between the two lenses. A smaller lens is appealing as the ZM is almost as long as my Summicron 90 with the PCX, but 35 vs 40 and 1.4 vs 1.2 seem very close.

Oct 17, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

path_integral wrote:
So, I have the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 with PCX and am wondering what the thoughts are about the differences between the two lenses. A smaller lens is appealing as the ZM is almost as long as my Summicron 90 with the PCX, but 35 vs 40 and 1.4 vs 1.2 seem very close.

I am in the same boat. Advantages for the ZM appear to be versatility (better landscape lens), ability to use TAP, less FC (especially with front filter), no or negligilble focus shift, and higher contrast. The 40/1.2 has more blur and a different, pleasant look with great color. It is also native and this gives full exif. If you want the look and like the focal length, get the 40. If you value the other advantages keep the ZM. Others will correct me if I get something wrong. So far I am keeping the ZM tho I am hesitating due to swing if the C/Y 35-70 will fully replace my ZM 35 for lanscape use. If so, it becomes a closer question as the versatility argument becomes less important The CV 40 seems more of a specialized look lens.

Oct 17, 2017 at 08:25 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:
There will be an M-mount version of the 40mm 1.2.
If the data I received is correct it will feature a 52mm filter thread (E-mount version has 58mm) and is to be released in November.

I think Leica-M might have still been the lead platform for this, which would explain the field curvature.
So I am tempted to see if that 5m PCX filter has the same effect on this one as it has on the 35mm 1.7...

Fred Miranda wrote:
I do see some field curvature so that's actually possible. It's very similar to the amount and shape I see on the Loxia 21/2.8. The hard stop will give us the best corner and a tad before infinity, the best center.

Isn't the field curvature observed on the new 40/1.2 the opposite of the Ultron 35/1.7? where the Ultron focus needs to be pulled back for sharpening corners? Not that a 5m PCX wouldn't help the 40/1.2.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

JimBuchanan wrote:
Isn't the field curvature observed on the new 40/1.2 the opposite of the Ultron 35/1.7? where the Ultron focus needs to be pulled back for sharpening corners? Not that a 5m PCX wouldn't help the 40/1.2.

Yes Jim, and that's a great point. They have inverse field curvature shape and a convex front-lens element may not be of much help.
I would think Cosina corrected the CV 40/1.2 as much as possible for the Sony sensor. Any residual FC seems to be the result of an optical compromise.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Couple more samples handheld at f/1.2 and f/4:
Backlighting with subject in silhouette.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM
PEKA62
• •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

Fred, can you pretty please stop posting these pictures?

Thank you.

Also in the name of my wife and my bank account consultant.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton Review

PEKA62 wrote:
Fred, can you pretty please stop posting these pictures?

Thank you.

Also in the name of my wife and my bank account consultant.

I can't stop!

Oct 17, 2017 at 05:06 PM
1       2       3              7      
       9              288       289       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              288       289       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.