New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

This seemed a good chance to use this lens. The car was at a Classic Car Sunday event at the Flowing Spring pub. The lens was on an Olympus EM-1 and probaly at f16. All sunlight exposures. The images have been cropped.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:44 PM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

They look pretty soft to me. Focus, diffraction or lens?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:02 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

scott f wrote:

The engine was very dusty, which I have countered to some extent, by increasing contrast. I am unaccustomed to focusing wide angle lenses. The last one is softer focus.

Harold

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

scott f wrote:

The engine was very dusty, which I have countered to some extent, by increasing contrast. I am unaccustomed to focusing wide angle lenses. The last one is softer focus.

Harold

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

Its not engine dust, the images are very soft. How did you shoot these? Aperture? Wide angle lenses should be relatively easy to focus due to the increased DOF.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Henning
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

These suffer from mis-focus and some from camera shake (a bit). My Laowa is sharp; at this size resolution would look perfect. I don't have a Ferrari to do comparison shots, and my Porsche has a VERY cramped engine compartment, so I can't offer comparison shots, but believe me, the lens is better than this.

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:33 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

Cool shots and nice angles but like the others said, they are very soft.

You say in your first post "probably at F16" which is way beyond diffraction limit for m43, with a 7,5mm lens it's also a good waste of good light and quality of the lens. F5,6 should give enough depth of field in there if you want it all in focus and you well within diffraction limits not to mention you get a lot more light in there

I simply think you shouldn't stop it down as much

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laowa 7.5mm Inside a Ferrari Engine Compartment

Thanks for your comments.

I believe this is the only set of images I have shot, with this lens, of a subject with such depth of interest.

Camera shake is not an issue, and wouldn’t be at that focal length and at 1/100 to 1/320 second and with 5-way IS.

Out of curiosity, I had previously reversed the lens to shoot a close-up (flash-lit) of a slime mould plasmodium. There was so much detail in the image file that, for the first time in years, I had to save at two levels of quality below my standard to be able to upload the images here (Macro World). So it should not the resolution of the lens which is the issue.

Essentially, I have scarcely used the lens. I do find, in general, focusing manually with wide angle lenses is difficult, rarely using them. (Other experience and opinions are irrelevant here). A factor which may have paled a part (I really don’t know) is that the focusing ring (and the aperture ring) turn in the opposite direction to those of all my other lenses. A bit of carelessness with that would be more than enough to account for lack of sharpness. For anyone unfamiliar with Classic Car events, not all engines are displayed and, with some you have to be quick to get shots without lots of enthusiasts crowding round.

I clearly missed an opportunity to do some experimenting and note-taking with this lens. ( However, see previous remark). I must get out more, taking this lens with me. With such opportunities as I have had, the 12mm Laowa has been wide enough and done an excellent job. The trouble with got-to-have lenses is I need it for, err, umm…

Harold

Oct 15, 2017 at 07:02 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.