New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PDN A9 review

stevesanacore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PDN A9 review

Photo district news just published a great review of the A9 on their website. Nice concise report.

https://www.pdnonline.com/

I will definitely rent one for my next lifestyle shoot!

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:51 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PDN A9 review

Great camera! I have three bodies to use various lenses at without changing.

Oct 10, 2017 at 06:57 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PDN A9 review

Thanks for the pointer to the review.
Nice review, but towards the end they lost me when they stared talking about cons.
My A9 is fine with battery life and grip.
A few more native tele lenses and Sony and partners will have covered all the bases.
E.g. my FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS performs spectacularly on the A9, including TCs.

K-H.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:11 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PDN A9 review

k-h.a.w wrote:
Nice review, but towards the end they lost me when they stared talking about cons.
A few more native tele lenses and Sony and partners will have covered all the bases.
E.g. my FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS performs spectacularly on the A9, including TCs.

K-H.

I agree. I can get thousands of shots when using the grip. After a day of extensive shooting, I often need to pinch myself when I see that the second battery is still at 100%. Even when using the mechanical shutter with flash, the batteries seem to last far longer than what my A7RII's do. When I shot A7R's, I had a real love-hate relationship with the camera. This improved greatly with the A7RII. With the A9, it is mostly love. The A9 is a spectacular camera in almost every way.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:25 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PDN A9 review

Even in the A7R2 the batteries are not a huge issue. It's blown way out of proportion. I always carry a few extra batteries with any camera body. It's just because there is not much else to complain about. I actually remember my D800E also going through batteries quickly.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PDN A9 review

I went to La shot 3 days shooting the city. I barely killed one battery. I did not even bring a charger but 3 batteries. This battery thing even on the A7rII I have been laughing at for a couple years. Oh wait I shot film for 40 years, guess that took longer so means less than shooting 500 images per charge. The laziness is so freaking annoying. The A9 Really turned the corner on battery life . But hey guesss for some there to lazy to waste a 4 second battery change. Yes I’m annoyed and very sarcastic on this subject. Pardon me

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:17 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PDN A9 review

Remember this 4DAF video in 2014, it was an A6000 laughing stock by some canikon folks here. Yes, they laugh no more after the same 4DAF algorithm now embedded on faster A9. I like to see Sony double the current 60 tps refreshing rate and turbo the next A9ii tracking with a second AF/AE CPU and then handout some magic to A5x,6x,7x series.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PDN A9 review

k-h.a.w wrote:

K-H.

I wonder to what extent they actually tested the camera, when just ended up quoting figures according to CIPA standard.

Oct 11, 2017 at 08:42 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PDN A9 review

bjornthun wrote:
I wonder to what extent they actually tested the camera, when just ended up quoting figures according to CIPA standard.

Thank you. I have had my own A9 now for quite awhile and have shot tens of thousands of images with it.
So I rely by now entirely on my own experiences and not on those of any fake or real reviewers.
The A9 has set a new high standard for mirrorless cameras with regards to AF for action shots.
Also its electronic shutter speed is better than any other I am aware of.

K-H.

Oct 11, 2017 at 09:08 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PDN A9 review

Their review reads like a re-quoting of specs and not a real review.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:27 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PDN A9 review

This EVF video probably validates most A9 dynamic specs better than any reviewer out there. Imo, there is no qualified commercial cam that can challenge this A9 system dance. This harmony principle of hardware & firmware 4DAF closed loop design will drive most competitors back to their drawing board and stay there for a very long time. To me, A9 is just a beginning of the different sony power ball game

http://media.giphy.com/media/f4b1ee1rrgbfy/giphy.gif
Note: A9 current AF refreshing rates (Detection = 0.017sec; Response = 0.05sec)

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PDN A9 review

sungphoto wrote:
Their review reads like a re-quoting of specs and not a real review.

+1. Beside the battery things, it is surely one of non-biased review out there. Who needs reviewer if specs actually works

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.