New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ode to GH5 as hybrid camera

darrellc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ode to GH5 as hybrid camera

I've been shooting more and more video over the last couple of years. I've decided I care as much about a camera's utility as a hybrid camera as absolute image quality. After a few years of A7, A7s, A7II, A7RII, followed by Fuji X-T2, I recently picked up a GH5.

Here's the remarkable thing about the GH5 as a hybrid camera:

The ability to save almost the entire state of the camera as a custom setting is a godsend. One click, and I have a camera totally optimized for video (exposure, AF, function buttons, display settings, everything basically). Another click, and I have a different camera for stills.

The friction of switching between stills and photo set up on the Sony and Fuji bodies meant I really had to set it up as a primarily stills or primarily video camera, and compromise or spend a bunch of time twiddling when switching modes.

With the GH5, there is essentially zero friction or compromises when switching between video and stills. It is really liberating and makes the camera super productive for hybrid use.

This really makes sense with cameras with a modern control interface like the Sony or Panasonics. The Fuji "analogue" interface is great for stills, less good for video and pretty crappy for a hybrid camera.

I don't really understand why Sony has not allowed for meaningful custom settings like Panasonic. Sony's customization seems haphazard and incomplete. And Fuji's custom settings really just allow you to create packages of JPEG settings.

Of course I have to decide if I can deal with m4/3 only for stills. I still have the X-T2 and primes, but thinking about maybe getting an RX1RII, or an A7X or D810 and a few primes for when I want the best stills. Or maybe just get the 1.2 Pro glass for m4/3 and deal with it (I have the Oly 25/1.2, what a lens).

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ode to GH5 as hybrid camera

Thanks, how much do you rely on image stabilization functionality in your setup/work?

K-H.

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:48 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ode to GH5 as hybrid camera

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks, how much do you rely on image stabilization functionality in your setup/work?

K-H.

Video: Lots, really indispensable... i primarily shoot run and gun of family and travel; and with two young kids, don't have time/space/weight for elaborate setups (gimbal, shoulder rig, etc.). Thankfully, video stabilization is quite good on the GH5, especially with the dual IS lenses. It is much, much better than A7II/A7RII. I'm totally satisfied with GH5 video stabilization, and the lock IS feature in firmware 2.0 is great, it really works for stationary shots.

Stills: Stabilization is always great to have, it really expands the shooting envelope in many ways. Stabilization is a big factor in choice of camera/lens. That being said, I can do fine without. I quickly adapted with Fuji... there were some shots I knew I'd have gotten or improved with stabilization, but I was surprised how little I missed it. I'd love to have Olympus stabilization for stills, I'd love to be able to shoot 0.5, 1, 2 seconds handheld sharp consistently with wide or normal focal lengths - that would open lots of creative shots since I rarely have time to set up a tripod or find support. Hopefully Panasonic can approach Oly performance in future bodies. It is useful for stills, I get a couple of stops, but not mind blowing and not necessary as with video.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.