New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · yashica digifilm

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · yashica digifilm

Looks like a fun camera, about the same size as a rollei 35.

--------

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940283777/expect-the-unexpected-digifilmtm-camera-by-yashica

Specifications

1/3.2-inch CMOS sensor
1.4 megapixel photos
Built-in viewfinder
Apertures of f2.8
Focal Length 35mm
A minimum focusing distance of 1m (~3 feet) to infinity
5 selectable steps shutter speeds 1s, 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/250s, 1/500s
SD card storage (wifi card compatible)
Micro USB connectivity for data transfers
Tripod mount ready
Operate with 2 x AA batteries
Image controlled by digiFilm™
Dimension:

Body Only: 100 (w) x 64 (h) x 28 (d) mm
With lens and switch: 110 (w) x 70 (h) x 55 (d) mm

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:57 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · yashica digifilm

Looks like a crazy hipster camera to me.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:29 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · yashica digifilm

To make it more (sur)real, they should limit the number of exposures before you must buy a new digifilm, and if you open the cover without rewinding, it should delete all the images on the card

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:32 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · yashica digifilm

Looks like it's actually 14MP not 1.4MP
So you need to buy cartridges to get different picture settings? Seriously?

I'll stick to my NEX-7 and Industar 69 for the times I want retro feel P&S images.
They should have spent the effort at creating a true digital film.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · yashica digifilm

I see the kickstarter has doubled their goal with 39 days to go.

I think it is the stupidest photo thing I've seen in a long time, and is about the worst possible outcome for the reveal that I could have imagined (I was curious to see what it was all about - this is certainly "unexpected").

Clearly I'm not their target market.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · yashica digifilm

Just read the article published on dpreview about this kickstarter camera. It seems to target an audience fully used to digital photography who want to have some sort of film shooting "feel" without actually bothering with film.

The digiFilm cartridges for more ISO/cropping options need to be bought in addition to the camera (other than the one which comes with the camera).

My opinion: For this amount of money you are better off shooting with a nice film camera in the first place and experience the different medium film first hand.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:29 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · yashica digifilm

I was almost interested in this thing, as it seems somewhat a spiritual successor to their plastic Yashica EZ-F521 camera. However unlike that device, it has no built in flash, filters, or image review. It seems like this could be a nice low IQ quality digital camera, but with a responsive UI set (something that the F521 sorely lacks).

I have a feeling like old film, old digital will at some point make a comeback, but the old digital cameras are often not in great working conditions or easily compatible with modern computers. This camera has a chance to fulfill the low IQ early digital feel, but I think it's missing a lot of features

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · yashica digifilm

trogdon wrote:
I have a feeling like old film, .......will at some point make a comeback,.....

That's already happening with film....

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · yashica digifilm

retrofocus wrote:
My opinion: For this amount of money you are better off shooting with a nice film camera in the first place and experience the different medium film first hand.

I've felt that way for a long time now.

To sum up, this Yashica is a true FF camera. As in Fake Film.

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:45 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · yashica digifilm

retrofocus wrote:
That's already happening with film....

Indeed you are right, I should clarify. As film has made a comeback in recent years, I also would expect a similar trend eventually to come in the form of low quality digital images. Might be some time before we see it in full swing, but eventually I'm imagining an interest developing in Lofi digital type equipment. However unlike with film equipment, the amount of usable low quality digital cameras will be pretty sparse. This yashica seemed like it could fulfill that niche, but they opted for a very strange feature set on it overall

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · yashica digifilm

fuji just needs to re-release Superia Reala - seriously!

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:30 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · yashica digifilm

trogdon wrote:
Indeed you are right, I should clarify. As film has made a comeback in recent years, I also would expect a similar trend eventually to come in the form of low quality digital images. Might be some time before we see it in full swing, but eventually I'm imagining an interest developing in Lofi digital type equipment. However unlike with film equipment, the amount of usable low quality digital cameras will be pretty sparse. This yashica seemed like it could fulfill that niche, but they opted for a very strange feature set on it overall

An astute observation. I bet that a Digital Diana would take the hipster photo world by storm.

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.