New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Autumn stream

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Autumn stream

Just returned home from NY where I visited many of my old stomping grounds. These images are from one of my favorite parks in my hometown.
I'm thinking of printing one of these but haven't made up my mind yet which one to go with.

I shot nearly 100% of my landscapes as multi-frame pano's with plans to print as large as I want. Thankfully my new L-bracket arrived just before this trip.

I'll have many more landscapes and wildlife images to come later including what I hope to be my "best ever" landscape that I will also be printing large. Can't wait to start working on that one.

Only quick LR adjustments so far and I feel they all need a little something more to bring them to life.

Would like to hear your picks as well as any suggestions, if any, to help improve them.
I'm open to any and all comments.

Dave

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:30 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Autumn stream

2 4 and 5 are my favorites, now let me see if I can narrow that down.

Ok now it's 4 and 5.

Ok now it's 4.

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:42 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Autumn stream

My thoughts on this pretty series. Where?

1. Not crazy about the comp. Too much barren area on the right not offering much interest or visual balance.
2. Feels very balanced and i like that you are down close to the water level. Maybe a bit more contrast and might need some highlights pulled back?
3. Very nice Can't find a better crop but I feel there is "more than I need" on the right. I suspect there are a million angles, crops here, depending on where one might stand. I like the water, the layering of the rocks, the path/stairs/bridge.
4. Too dark for my taste and I am of course drawn to the small waterfall, but not finding enough other interest to take this from pleasant to special
5. Nice. Maybe a crop a bit off the bottom, open the shadows a tad. Check the blues: seem a bit saturated and the patch of blue in the sky distracts a bit. Maybe less saturation there?

Scott

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:23 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Autumn stream

Thanks for the great feedback Scott and for you pick Ben.

This is Stony Brook SP in Dansville NY.

Below are my edits based on above comments plus a little more TLC.

Better?

Dave

edit 1

edit 2

edit 3

edit 4

edit 5

Oct 09, 2017 at 07:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Autumn stream

I was ok with the brightness of 4 and 5 before, but I suspect these will be better for prints. I still have a slight leaning for 4, but only slight. That curve with the waterfall just sucks me in.

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Autumn stream

Thanks Ben. I did a little extra playing with #4 on my edit because there is something about that one that I find very pleasing. Funny thing is, I almost walked past that composition heading up stream to the big falls.

Just finished my first rough draft on my big wall hanger. Wait till you see this thing Ben! I think you are going to be impressed. It's unlike anything you have ever seen from me so far. I simply have to get it right because this puppy is going to be printed BIG! 35 images make up this beast!

Dave

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:24 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Autumn stream

A good ol boy with NY roots!! Welcome home, if only a short while. Upstate NY is just beautiful, and you were right near the finger lakes. This is a good time of year to shoot there because of the changing colors of fall foliage.

My favorite is #2,followed by 5. All nicely done.

Steve

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:34 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Autumn stream

eeneryma wrote:
A good ol boy with NY roots!! Welcome home, if only a short while. Upstate NY is just beautiful, and you were right near the finger lakes. This is a good time of year to shoot there because of the changing colors of fall foliage.

My favorite is #2,followed by 5. All nicely done.

Steve

Thanks for the picks and kind words Steve!

Are my edit's better or worse?

Yep, born and raised a Yankee but always a redneck.

Unfortunately the fall colors weren't at full peak yet in the southern tier when I was up there. I think the Adirondacks were peaking last week and it's slowly moving down south.

More to come.

Dave

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Autumn stream

lighthound wrote:
Thanks for the picks and kind words Steve!

Are my edit's better or worse?

Yep, born and raised a Yankee but always a redneck.

Unfortunately the fall colors weren't at full peak yet in the southern tier when I was up there. I think the Adirondacks were peaking last week and it's slowly moving down south.

More to come.

Dave

Yes, I prefer the edits which are brighter.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.