New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

Is it just me or that Gitzo tripods are getting ever more expensive? I'm currently using a Feisol CT-3442 tripod. I really dislike how the tripod when fully extended doesn't have a wider stance. This is my first non-Gitzo tripod. Prior to this, I have always used Gitzo tripods. I've decided I'm going to go back to Gitzo, but I'm wondering if it'll be any cheaper as we head towards the Christmas season?

I want to make sure I get it right this time with the tripod. I am 173cm tall. I'll be using the tripod with either a RRS BH-40 ballhead or the Acratech GP-SS ballhead. I have a Fujifilm X-T2, XF 10-24mm, XF 18-55mm, and XF 55-200mm lenses.

My last Gitzo tripod was the GT1541T tripod. I felt it was a bit short with the Markins Q3T ballhead. Having said that, I'm thinking about the Gitzo GT1545T, Gitzo GT2545T, Gitzo GT2542, and Gitzo GT2543L tripods. I would prefer not to use the centre column unless it's absolutely necessary. So which tripod would you guys pick?

Thanks!

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:42 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

With a a Fuji mirrorless camera I think a two Series will give you the stability you need. I use Sony A7R and NEX6 cameras and have the Gitzo 1541T and Gitzo 1348. The 1 series is great with the lighter crop sensor NEX6 but I want something a little more solid with the A7R for an everyday tripod. The one series is great for Lightweight Travel The 1348 is an older three series model that is more than enough and very tall with no center column. It goes to 65" tall and that's before ballhead and camera. I am 193 cm tall and it's taller than I need. It's probably more than you need. This is my everyday model.

You should look at a used 2 series Systematic tripod. They will be taller at the expense of folded length and still have a center column option. Maybe a 2541 or 2542. Used will be a significant savings over new and be far better than any of the new models in that price range.

Good luck.

Oct 09, 2017 at 07:22 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare wrote:
I'm currently using a Feisol CT-3442 tripod. I really dislike how the tripod when fully extended doesn't have a wider stance.

Didn't know they were still doing this. You never see it talked about by Feisol users.

Oct 09, 2017 at 01:16 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

I have a Feisol 3401. It's nice but I also feel it should have a wider leg stance. I think it makes it top heavy with anything like a 70-200 on it.

My Gitzo 1541T just seems more stable than the Feisol.

peter_n wrote:
Didn't know they were still doing this. You never see it talked about by Feisol users.

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:44 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

They're still doing this. It's never been a problem for me (and I come from a tripod with a wider stance). Maybe that's why it doesn't get a lot of comment. I've had a Feisol CT-3441T for a couple months now and I think it's an exceptional tool. Mind you I'm not using a very heavy outfit (Fuji X-T2 with lenses up to about 700g). It's been rock solid and not tippy in countless awkward, uneven situations.

peter_n wrote:

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:55 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

My Feisol 3472 has leg locks that provide for three different angles though most of the time I have it at the minimum. Even then with the legs fully extended to provide a 58 inch working height the leg tips are 46 inches apart. I cannot imagine why anyone would want them further apart which would result in more leg flex and a less stable platform.

I bought the Feisol after trying two different Gitzo tripods and finding them defective right from the factory. Different Gitzo models are quite different construction. My 2531LVL is well made but others have cheapened parts including pot metal elements that break so easily that the tripods arrived with sections broken off inside the shipping box.

The Feisol 3472 supported my 11 pound 600mm f/4 lens with no flexing of the legs at all and no torsional flexing of the legs at the top section. Quite a few tripods are being made with the top section designed to make the tripod more compact but this has greatly reduced their ability to counter torsional flexing around the axis with a large super telephoto lens (problems even with my 500mm f/4 lens on them).

My RRS TVC-34L tripod when at the same working height as the Feisol 3474, has a spread between the leg tips of 49 inches, so not much of a difference between it and the Feisol.

At this time I find the build quality of the Feisol to be the equal of the RRS and superior to the Gitzo. I have the Feisol as it collapses down to less than 22" in length and so is better for air travel, and I have the RRS tripod to get up to 68" of height which helps when photographing critters well above me.

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:19 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

peter_n wrote:

What do you mean by that exactly?

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

A 500 series Gitzo is way, way overkill for the tiny little camera you will put on it. Those tripods are made more for something like an 8x10 field camera. A 200 series Gitzo will be plenty and then some. I have a 300 series (1325) and it's overkill for my D800E + 80-400mm AFS lens and 4x5 Chamonix. (Perfect for my Gundlach Korona 5x7 field camera though.) As for price, this is obviously something to watch ebay for and get a used one. I don't see much sense in buying a new one.

I have a Feisol 3441T and yes, its stance is a bit narrower than I like. However, I use it as a travel or hikiing tripod most of the time, and don't put anything heavier than a D800E or Chamonix 045n on it. When it's windy or I'm using something heavier, I use the Gitzo 1325. It's about the perfect all around tripod if you have large lenses or view cameras. I don't have center columns on either tripod. I would not consider a 1500-series unless I was shooting a 600mm f4 lens or an 8x10 Chamonix/Ebony. Way too heavy and bulky on much of any hike.

Kent in SD

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:49 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare wrote:
What do you mean by that exactly?

Well I've used quite a few different tripods and I do compare them. Same with ballheads, I can't count the number of ballheads I've been through. I'm sure many here do the same.

I've bought (and sold) most of this stuff but I've also borrowed occasionally. In the case of the Feisol, it was borrowed and looking at it fully extended against a Gitzo 3-series and a Benro travel tripod the leg angle was noticeably different. I would think that the Feisol leg angle would make the tripod less stable in windy conditions as in addition to the sharp leg angle it's very light in weight.

I talked with a Feisol rep at Expo Plus a while back and he did allow that the leg angle gave the tripods a higher max. height spec. than otherwise. I'm not suggesting that this design decision was driven by sales considerations because that could just have been serendipity. But it does seem odd that most other tripods have a bigger leg angle.

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:01 AM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare wrote:
Is it just me or that Gitzo tripods are getting ever more expensive? I'm currently using a Feisol CT-3442 tripod. I really dislike how the tripod when fully extended doesn't have a wider stance. This is my first non-Gitzo tripod. Prior to this, I have always used Gitzo tripods. I've decided I'm going to go back to Gitzo, but I'm wondering if it'll be any cheaper as we head towards the Christmas season?

I want to make sure I get it right this time with the tripod. I am 173cm tall. I'll be using the tripod with either a RRS BH-40
...Show more

Isquare, I think you're right about Gitzo's getting more expensive. Every time I look at their website lately, prices seem to have gone up, and the same seems to hold true for parts (Gitzospares.com). That said, there are occasional deals to be had. These deals usually show up when Gitzo has updated a model, such as they recently did when the latest versions of Systematic tripods came out with the new ball/swivel feet called "BigFoot". The previous version Systematics had the rubber-capped spikes. Gitzo will sometimes reduce the older versions by quite a significant amount to clear them out. Check their website regularly, and when you do, check the Manfrotto offerings as well. The reason I include Manfrotto is, they sometimes list "Specials" that do not necessarily appear on the Gitzo page. Those "specials" often include those reduced-price Gitzo models. The "new" version Systematics model numbers now end with the number 3 instead of 2. (example GT-4553TS is current). The previous version was the GT-4552TS.

I recently bought a couple of those "previous model" Systematics; a series 4 (GT-4552TS) and a series 5 (GT-5332S). In each case, they were reduced by $400.(CDN.) I'm in Canada, and I ordered through Gitzo.ca, but the same discount probably holds true for Gitzo.U.S.A. It can fluctuate,,, so check their site every week or so.

Just so you know, the Systematic tripods have a sub-category called the "travel" Systematics. Those are Systematics with the letter "T" at the end of the model name, such as the GT-4552TS that I mentioned above. These particular models fold virtually as compact as the lighter-duty "Traveller" series tripods. My GT-4552TS for example, folds to roughly 18", and is much more solid than my GT-2545T "Traveller"-series, which also folds to just under 18".

Regarding the new ball/swivel feet on the latest Systematics, those feet are superb. They really stay firmly planted on smooth surfaces. They're really nice to have especially if you have a very tall tripod, such as my nearly 7-foot tall 3-series Systematic GT-3542XLS, whose feet tend to get skittish on smooth surfaces, especially when there's a bit of dust on the floor. I ordered a set of 3 BigFoot through GitzoSpares.com for $50.CDN($40. U.S.) Highly recommended.

Regarding my series 2 "Traveller" GT-2545T, It's quite nice, and quite stable. With center-column down, you're looking at roughly 55" tall, which places my cameras' viewfinder roughly at eye-level, and I'm 5'10". The perfect head for that tripod, is the Gitzo GH-1382QD, which has excellent friction-control. The smaller sibling however, the GH-1382"T"QD does not have separate friction control. I went with the kit version, which includes the head (GK-2545T-82QD). If you go this route, you may also want to order a few accessories. I ordered the case, the column-mounted spirit-level, and the column hook. If you order the hook,,, the correct part number is D104214 and NOT the G2020 which is so often suggested on many websites. The G2020 is for older 28mm center-columns, and does not fit on the GT-2545T. (Don't ask me how I know this)

Regarding a head for the Systematics, I use Gitzo's GH-3382QD. This is a big beefy head (1.9lbs) that's smooth as silk, yet locks up tighter than Fort Knox. I mount the head on a Gitzo GSLVLS leveling base.

Oct 13, 2017 at 04:21 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

Bobarino wrote:
Isquare, I think you're right about Gitzo's getting more expensive. Every time I look at their website lately, prices seem to have gone up, and the same seems to hold true for parts (Gitzospares.com). That said, there are occasional deals to be had. These deals usually show up when Gitzo has updated a model, such as they recently did when the latest versions of Systematic tripods came out with the new ball/swivel feet called "BigFoot". The previous version Systematics had the rubber-capped spikes. Gitzo will sometimes reduce the older versions by quite a significant amount to clear them out. Check
...Show more

Thanks for the information. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning on either the GT1545T or the GT2545T. Most likely it'll be the GT1545T since it's cheaper and I'm only using mirrorless cameras. The 2545T may be an overkill for even my longest Fujifilm lens.

In your opinion, is the successor to the GT1545T worth the money? It's like almost double the price and I'm not quite sure why Gitzo is charging so much for the current model which is the GT1545TUS.

As for ballhead, I'm going to use either the RRS BH-40 or the Acratech GP-SS. My Acratech is already shipped and I'm going to need some time to figure out which ballhead to keep.

Oct 21, 2017 at 06:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

I'd go for the 2 series if you can. It's not about the size of the camera, but the vibrations of the legs.

EBH

Oct 21, 2017 at 07:05 AM
gxgn
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

It’s interesting, I’m trying to go the opposite way, move to a feisol, mefoto or something cheaper, I find the series my Gitzo (2530) overkill for the xt2 and 16mm lens (my most used lens in Fuji.

Oct 21, 2017 at 08:49 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

EB-1 wrote:
I'd go for the 2 series if you can. It's not about the size of the camera, but the vibrations of the legs.

EBH

You don't think the legs on the 1545T are sturdy enough? I never had any issues with my former GT1542T and I was using a Canon DSLR on that tripod!

Oct 22, 2017 at 03:32 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

Does anyone here know what I need to do to convert the GT1545T/GT2545T to using a horizontal centre column?

Also, what is the difference between the GT1545T and GT1545TUS? I see that as well with the GT2545T.

Oct 24, 2017 at 02:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

201.818.9500 Manfrotto USA/Gitzo

Oct 24, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

lsquare wrote:
Does anyone here know what I need to do to convert the GT1545T/GT2545T to using a horizontal centre column?

Also, what is the difference between the GT1545T and GT1545TUS? I see that as well with the GT2545T.

Right here;
https://www.manfrotto.ca/gitzo/accessories/tripod-accessories

"U.S." packaging?? Perhaps the manual comes in languages specific to the U.S. market?? I don't see any other difference.

Oct 24, 2017 at 04:21 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

My problem with Gitzo is : it doesn't lock. The legs seem sinking when ever. One can't see it if it is locked or not. Manfretto is visible if it is locked or not.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

nugeny wrote:
My problem with Gitzo is : it doesn't lock. The legs seem sinking when ever. One can't see it if it is locked or not. Manfretto is visible if it is locked or not.

The twist locks may take a bit more effort, but they certainly should lock tightly.
In the period prior to the G-Locks I was not very happy with the Gitzo legs either, but the G-Locks helped a lot. The larger diameter tubes are easier to grasp and tighten if that affects the models you choose. The 3-section tripods have only 6 joints vs. 9 joints for the 4-section tripods, so that also reduces the pain and suffering. I've owned a variety of Bogen/Manfrotto tripods since the 70's in both the lever and flip lock types. Unfortunately Manfrotto tripods never reached the stability of Gitzo, at least in the mountaineer/CF class (and yes, I have a Carbon One around somewhere).

EBH

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:54 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need help figuring out which Gitzo tripod to buy

EB-1 wrote:
The twist locks may take a bit more effort, but they certainly should lock tightly.
In the period prior to the G-Locks I was not very happy with the Gitzo legs either, but the G-Locks helped a lot. The larger diameter tubes are easier to grasp and tighten if that affects the models you choose. The 3-section tripods have only 6 joints vs. 9 joints for the 4-section tripods, so that also reduces the pain and suffering. I've owned a variety of Bogen/Manfrotto tripods since the 70's in both the lever and flip lock types. Unfortunately Manfrotto tripods never reached the
...Show more
I have both carbon Manfrotto and Gitzo. The Manfrotto is more than 10 years old, heavier and bigger, but I still like it. As I said, I can see the flips if they are locked or not. The gitzo is one year new, much lighter and cuter. Last Saturday I was in Yosemite valley with it. More than once, my camera threatened to hit the ground. I wish Gitzo made the flip lock instead of the twist.
Well I bet I will have to learn to twist tighter and keep on checking with my hands. The eyes are no good .

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.