New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

artificialyello
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

The Nikon D850 have scored 100 at the DxO Mark... But how much better than the competition is it really? Look under the noise and dynamic range headers in the measurements tab:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D850-versus-Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV___1177_1170_1106

Oct 08, 2017 at 03:50 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Indeed impressive. I still won't be buying one though.....

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:31 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

15Bit wrote:
Indeed impressive. I still won't be buying one though.....

I think that the 5D4 seems to hold the fort well. The noise is about on the same level as the D850 and the DR above ISO400. And it takes both Canon and Nikon glass.

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:41 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

I have to say that it looks like it matches the 5dmk4 at it's worst, and is clearly better in DR and resolution, looks to be a great sensor. Very interested to see if a new 5dsr will match it for noise and dynamic range.

The 6dmk2 looks quite pedestrian for DR especially

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:53 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Yesss!!! Let's rejoice. A site that posts a bunch of mumbo jumbo numbers that even they don't seem to understand claimed something "non-Canon" to reach a 100... and the bar isn't even full. How much better it can get? What is the maximum value?

Nothing to see here, carry on.

Oct 08, 2017 at 06:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

It must be an open-ended scale. In 2020 Sony would be well beyond that one would think.

EBH

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Milan Hutera wrote:
Yesss!!! Let's rejoice. A site that posts a bunch of mumbo jumbo numbers that even they don't seem to understand claimed something "non-Canon" to reach a 100... and the bar isn't even full. How much better it can get? What is the maximum value?

I can hear the Nikon forum collectively sharpening their knives.

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:55 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

artificialyello wrote:
I think that the 5D4 seems to hold the fort well. The noise is about on the same level as the D850 and the DR above ISO400. And it takes both Canon and Nikon glass.

Yes, but the Nikon does it with 15 additional MP; and a comparison, by Imaging Resource, of extractable shadow detail between the 5D4, & D850 clearly demonstrates the superiority of the D850 in that regard.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A.HTM#shooting1

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:56 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Paul Mo wrote:
I can hear the Nikon forum collectively sharpening their knives.

Why Nikon forum?

Oct 08, 2017 at 11:42 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Who gives a smeg?

Oct 08, 2017 at 12:57 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Sy Sez wrote:
Yes, but the Nikon does it with 15 additional MP; and a comparison, by Imaging Resource, of extractable shadow detail between the 5D4, & D850 clearly demonstrates the superiority of the D850 in that regard.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A.HTM#shooting1

The DxO graphs shows less than 1 stop difference in normalized print and and slightly less on pixelbypixel level, at base ISO. Matches the link you posted well, but do the crops reflect the cameras as a whole in everyday work? Lot's of money involved and everybody have to make their own decision. Nikon on top:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/ZY-nikon-d850-review-DSC_1297-DyRa-ShHi-100-CROP.jpg

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/ZY-canon-5div-review-786A8367-DyRa-ShHi-100-CROP.jpg

Samples from the linked webpage.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

The 5D4 still is plagued by issues of purple shadows and blotchy patches when lifted. As we can all see above the Nikon sensor is able to retain colour and have more detail. The D850 is actually a big improvement over the D810 in this regard. D810 had a lot of purple in the lifted shadows also.

Still the 5D4 sensor is one of my favourite Canon sensors that I've used.

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:40 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

compared to A7rII, which is 2 years old already, though it scores higher, the sony sensor actually scores much better in high iso 3434, vs 2660. However, in DR the nikon appears to have nearly a full stop advantage (14.8 vs 13.9), though in all fairness, I already feel like pushing the shadows in A7rII gives me an HDR look. the DR advantage is not surprising, given it does a native ISO of 64, which means it has photon wells which can hold 80% more photons before saturated, hence the nearly extra stop of DR.

Oct 08, 2017 at 09:03 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Not going to make me a better photographer that's for sure. Too insignificant of difference for me. I'm sure a better sensor will come out within a yr, Sony or some other brand. DxO of 100 doesn't mean it is perfect, just some scale they made. Don't believe the hype.

Oct 08, 2017 at 10:31 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Looks like a killer camera to me!

Great resolution, great DR, and what looks like great overall files in terms of color/malleability. To me that all means more freedom of capture and delivery, and more buffer in terms of how I capture and choices.

(I have no plans for a Nikon any time soon or not so soon. But damn, a fine offering and another step ahead.)

EDIT: Threads like this (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510957) are a nice example. It's pretty easy to dismiss imaging advances as superfluous or only aiding the poorly skilled-- when you're not using them or developing skills within such an envelope. But it's pretty funny how once people actually put their money down and try it out... many (most?) come out the other sides realizing that suddenly "Oh yeah, it's nice to have those advances after all."

We saw that with Nikon when it lagged going FF and then lagged bumping resolution.

Damn fine camera this D850 seems to be.

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:05 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Looks like a great camera! too bad it won't take the awesome 500 that's currently coming my way

hopefully Canon will take notice and try to make the new 5dsr as good as possible as a competitor

Oct 09, 2017 at 06:05 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Milan Hutera wrote:

The single score is nonsense. Even the weighting is weird and favours base iso drastically. The A7rii sensor is better over the whole range in every category despite low iso dr (S/N is even ahead 1db over the whole range), but still trails the D850 sensor.

Oct 09, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

arbitrage wrote:
The 5D4 still is plagued by issues of purple shadows and blotchy patches when lifted. As we can all see above the Nikon sensor is able to retain colour and have more detail. The D850 is actually a big improvement over the D810 in this regard. D810 had a lot of purple in the lifted shadows also.

Still the 5D4 sensor is one of my favourite Canon sensors that I've used.

The sensor of the 5div is not iso-invariant at low isos. But for 3stops to sometimes 4 stop pushes I never recognised purple shadows or blotchy patches so far. Everything above that is something most people likely won't need regularly, in my opinion. The D850 sensor is excellent, but in my opinion the A7rii sensor is still better, as it only trails in low iso DR, but is ahead in all other metrics measured by DXO if you look at the measurement curves. Whether this is important in real life is another issue.

Oct 09, 2017 at 11:48 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

Holger wrote:
The single score is nonsense. Even the weighting is weird and favours base iso drastically. The A7rii sensor is better over the whole range in every category despite low iso dr (S/N is even ahead 1db over the whole range), but still trails the D850 sensor.

Exactly. What drowns in the single score, is that the D850 sensor is in fact a step back from the state of the art for low light use, the A7rII, in SNR and color sensitivity. The SNR is equal to the 5DS R, something that will hardly be accepted as a fact

The D850 sensor is optimized for landscape and not the universally best sensor ever.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The DxO Mark 100 Score Achieved

In comparison, the scores of my currently used DSLRs (7D II and 5D III) are abysmal.

I have to re-assure myself that it's still ok to use my outdated gear by looking closely at the feather detail in my 24" x 36" prints, some taken by bodies as old as the 40D.

Oct 09, 2017 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.