New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Of course if you have the the D810/D800/E these are still superb cameras and really depends on your style of photography. I still have my D750 as a backup.

For a lot of my photography AF has to be fast/consistent and accurate. This is not just about sports/fast action or BIF, minor deviations in AF accuracy may yield your best shots unusable or just slightly unsharp. The upgraded AF module alone has made the D850 very usable in low light venues, dynamic portraits and it is just fun to use. Having a great sensor is a bonus too

Many may not upgrade to the D850 and it is a personal choice, but those who have upgraded love the D850

Edited on Oct 07, 2017 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:52 PM
joefoo
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

DXO and Bill Claff disagree on the relationship between the dynamic range curves of the D750 and the D850. DXO has the D850 leading the D750 for most of the ISO range, Bill Claff's data say the opposite. I thought perhaps the DXO algorithm gave the D850 some added bonus for higher pixel count, but they have the Canon 5DS curve well below both Nikons. Bill Claff has the 5DS beating the D850 above ISO 1200.

Also instructive is the fact that DXO rates the D500 and the D750 about even above ISO 300.

Based on data from my eyeballs, I think Bill Claff's site is useful for assessing camera sensors and DXO isn't.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Mark K
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Mark_L wrote:
Kinda disappointed in the small IQ increases from the D800 (from 2012) tbh, this doesn't feel like 5 years of progress. If it had 1 stop more DR and 60MP I'd have bought it perhaps.

I have a feeling sony's successor to the A7rII might be my next camera.

That's why I keep my D800....still love it

Oct 07, 2017 at 04:57 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

I've scraped a lot of hair off my head as I scratch it while reading the 'I am still waiting to see better photos than I can get with my D800', as they look at their laptop screen of downsized postings here on the forums.
There is a LOT more to the D850! Yesterday I used the D810 for the first time since acquiring my 850. Damn!, it seems so slow i wanted to toss it on the ground, but when I edited I loved the photos. Makes awesome photos but it is not a D850, no way.
As far as the DXO 100 score, I could care less, not interested in their gibberish.

Oct 07, 2017 at 06:52 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

When I upgraded from the D800 to the D810 I was almost shocked at how much sharper the images were due to the lack of AA filter. I know common thinking was that the D800 files just needed a little more sharpening when post processing to compensate, but there was still a significant difference in results that became extremely apparent after I acquired a retina iMac....the 5k monitor with GLOSSY screen made the difference obvious. So I personally found the upgrade from the D800 to D810 to be totally worth it. Similarly, for anyone owning a D800 should be seriously considering the D850, not only for the obvious improvements in AR, speed and resolution, but to jettison the AA filter. And FWIW DXO scores mean nothing to me since they don't reflect any useful metric in my world.

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:36 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

joefoo wrote:
DXO and Bill Claff disagree on the relationship between the dynamic range curves of the D750 and the D850. DXO has the D850 leading the D750 for most of the ISO range, Bill Claff's data say the opposite. I thought perhaps the DXO algorithm gave the D850 some added bonus for higher pixel count, but they have the Canon 5DS curve well below both Nikons. Bill Claff has the 5DS beating the D850 above ISO 1200.

Also instructive is the fact that DXO rates the D500 and the D750 about even above ISO 300.

Based on data from my eyeballs, I think
...Show more

I saw that too and found an explanation that said Bill's site looks at it from a pixel level standpoint and DXO normalizes them. So, at full magnification, the D850 is a little behind the D750, however, if you downsample the D850 to D750 size, the DR is better (downsampling lowers the noise floor).

At least that's my understanding.

Oct 07, 2017 at 08:47 AM
joefoo
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

In the dynamic range graph on DXO, you can switch between screen and print to get a normalized measurement. My point is that Bill Claff's graphs confirm what my eyes tell me from looking at photographs. DXO's measurements are substantially different.

Nikon have made a fine high-speed landscape camera. I'm sure it would be very nice, and I still really want the new AF, but I'm hoping for something more like the D750. I've canceled my order.

Oct 07, 2017 at 10:24 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

joefoo wrote:
In the dynamic range graph on DXO, you can switch between screen and print to get a normalized measurement. My point is that Bill Claff's graphs confirm what my eyes tell me from looking at photographs. DXO's measurements are substantially different.

Nikon have made a fine high-speed landscape camera. I'm sure it would be very nice, and I still really want the new AF, but I'm hoping for something more like the D750. I've canceled my order.

Ok, but I would never buy, or not buy, based on these sensor test site results.

Oct 07, 2017 at 10:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

everyone sees something different in an image once their mind is set on what they think they will see.

Oct 07, 2017 at 11:07 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

DXO’s dynamic range refers to so-called engineering DR which considers the low limit the point where SNR = 1. Mr. Claff uses SNR = 20, if I recall correctly. So the results are slightly different as the definition of DR is different.

DXO provide a lot of other measurements in addition to DR. I like the color sensitivity measure myself, it describes how many colors can be distinguished.

Oct 07, 2017 at 12:42 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

sjms wrote:
everyone sees something different in an image once their mind is set on what they think they will see.

And, all of these cameras’ image quality are outstanding. At this point, purchase decisions must be driven by camera feature sets, sensor size ( full frame vs crop) and price.

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:59 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

ilkka_nissila wrote:
DXO’s dynamic range refers to so-called engineering DR which considers the low limit the point where SNR = 1. Mr. Claff uses SNR = 20, if I recall correctly. So the results are slightly different as the definition of DR is different.

DXO provide a lot of other measurements in addition to DR. I like the color sensitivity measure myself, it describes how many colors can be distinguished.

Totally agree! We have a number of different data sets all of which are valid and it is our interpretation of the data that matters. DxO is no less valid than Bill Claff's as it provides a broad spread of information with different assumptions.

Had the DxO results for the D850 been lower than the D810/D800/D750 all the arm chair critics would have determined that the sky was falling. I like the DxO tests as the same test applies across all models and it is comparative. It is these results that moved me back to Nikon with the D810 and D750 after 4 years with Sony. Then the results with Bill Claff surprised me how good the D750 was too.

Our decision making process is a lot more complex than just the sensor results alone.

Oct 07, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

...I'll stick to my Leica M10

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

The Leica M10 has 24 megapixels?!! Wow! (Said Blake in 2007 ).

*Says the jealous FMr that wishes he had the stomach to make that sort of change!

Elijah wrote:
...I'll stick to my Leica M10

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:16 PM
bclaff_too
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Steve Perry wrote:
I saw that too and found an explanation that said Bill's site looks at it from a pixel level standpoint and DXO normalizes them. So, at full magnification, the D850 is a little behind the D750, however, if you downsample the D850 to D750 size, the DR is better (downsampling lowers the noise floor).

At least that's my understanding.

Both measures are normalized.
The key distinction is that DxOMark Landscape (Print) is based entirely on read noise whereas PhotonsToPhotos Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) uses a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) threshold.
SNR is how your vision "decides" is noise is apparent so naturally I think that's the right approach. :-)

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Blakehfreeman wrote:
The Leica M10 has 24 megapixels?!! Wow! (Said Blake in 2007 ).

*Says the jealous FMr that wishes he had the stomach to make that sort of change!

If your photography isn’t good enough, your camera isn’t expensive enough

I live by this rule, bro

Oct 07, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

The D850 isn't necessarily about bigger prints because you have more pixels - in fact I would suggest most wouldn't want or need to print larger - it is more about overall better IQ using higher Mp to get that result for the same size image. You have the ability to have such fine detail with all those Mps at your disposal, but at the same time reducing the apparent noise at the same print size/viewing size. Because each pixel is smaller, then the noise appears to be smaller/is finer/has less impact at the same print/view size. It's like having fine grain film. This is where the real benefits lie, not wall sized prints. Let's face it, to view a full res D850 on a computer screen without having to reduce it to fit on the screen is impossible at the moment. How many of us have a computer screen that is 8,256 x 5,504 pixels, or TV screens for that matter? That size screen won't be with us for many years yet! But when and if they appear, the D850 will be ready for them.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:09 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

These cameras are released to get people to buy the newest thing, and Nikon makes money as a result. Not a bad thing. Of course there are people who will need the camera and the upgrades, I’m just contending these cameras are literally built to sell to people who are always upgrading (for whatever the hell reason). If they were building these cameras strictly for the few who really needed them they’d go out of business because they would not sell enough. Upgrade craze plain and simple.

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:01 AM
joefoo
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Whatever level of technology you're happy with, you got it because all of those upgrade crazy people paid for the R&D. Here's to the early adopters, God bless you all!

Oct 08, 2017 at 06:46 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

joefoo wrote:
Whatever level of technology you're happy with, you got it because all of those upgrade crazy people paid for the R&D. Here's to the early adopters, God bless you all!

so now your calling us crazy people. thats real nice. kinda like what Hillary called trump supporters.

Oct 08, 2017 at 06:59 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.