Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

JMcDonald84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

I currently have an a7ii that I've been shooting weddings with(my starter camera) with a 6500 backup. I've done well with it starting out but now I have some cash coming in... should I go with the a7rii or just wait a bit longer and snag the a9....?

What are your thoughts...?

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:12 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

JMcDonald84 wrote:
I currently have an a7ii that I've been shooting weddings with(my starter camera) with a 6500 backup. I've done well with it starting out but now I have some cash coming in... should I go with the a7rii or just wait a bit longer and snag the a9....?

a9, better focus system.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:16 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

a9 - Amazing AF
A7R2 - Amazing Image quality !

I personally prefer the ergo and the IQ of a7r2

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:00 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

a9 is way much easier to use.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:01 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

I am waiting for the a7III to be announced before contemplate a potential switch, but if I had to jump now, it would be to an A9

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:58 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

I love my a9. While using both the a9 and the d850 in tandem at a wedding, after using the a9 and switching to the d850, I would want to go back to the a9. The autofocus is insane. I've never used the a7ii, but I heard that the a9 is just a different beast.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:52 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Just spend the cash on something else and keep the a7II

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:08 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

JMcDonald84 wrote:

I think you should buy what YOU want, not what pleases other people on a forum.

It's really a moot point asking such a question on a place like this. The gear centric nature of shooters on forums is always going to favor the latest and greatest out there.

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:38 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Wait for the A7III. My guess is that they position it right up against the 5D4. Expect an announcement this month.

A9 = 1DX/D5
A7R = 5DsR/D850
A7 = 5D4/D750

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:27 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Pretty old camera in mirrorless terms. I'd wait.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:22 AM
JMcDonald84
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yea I really like the Sony products.... I've never fooled around wth anything else though besides in bestbuy and what not. I didn't know they were going to release another Sony a7 this year so I may wait for the announcement.

I want something fast and good in low light... the a7ii struggles in low light with AF... I do 80% beach shoots which isn't an issue but I will be doing some church and what not which is where I think the a9 with silent shooting might be the ticket.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:44 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

JMcDonald84 wrote:
... but I will be doing some church and what not which is where I think the a9 with silent shooting might be the ticket.

Yeah, the quality difference between sensors these days is so small it makes little difference for weddings and portraits. But the fastest AF is always important. What difference does it make if you have a great sensor but can't get photos in focus?

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:47 AM
JMcDonald84
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

MRomine wrote:
Yeah, the quality difference between sensors these days is so small it makes little difference for weddings and portraits. But the fastest AF is always important. What difference does it make if you have a great sensor but can't get photos in focus?

True story! I'm still fairly new to wedding photography but I'm starting to really see the benefit of having a better AF system. I like the a7ii a lot but it struggles. Been itching for the a9 lol or possibly a7Rii. I think I'll wait a month or so and get the a9 or see what they coke up with this month for the latest release.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

MRomine wrote:

AF system is arguably the most important thing on a camera now, it seems odd for weddings but the dof is usually shallow so it is easy to miss. Checking focus takes ages and throwing out images because of focus misses hurts.

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:42 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

A9 without a doubt. If the A7III has the same AF, one of my A7r2s will be on the buy and sell board. Anyways, the A9's AF and image quality are superb. the camera is just a joy to shoot with. I'm using mine for photo and video, and it just flat out excels.

Oct 08, 2017 at 09:45 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

3catsinky wrote:
A9 without a doubt. If the A7III has the same AF, one of my A7r2s will be on the buy and sell board. Anyways, the A9's AF and image quality are superb. the camera is just a joy to shoot with. I'm using mine for photo and video, and it just flat out excels.

If the A7rIII has the same af we might even see D850s on the b&s board.

Oct 08, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Go A9 for dual cards, killer AF, silent mode you can use almost anywhere, dual cards.

All of last year and for a couple weddings this year I shot with a pair of A7RIIs. Those were replaced with a pair of A9s when they first came out. Sure, I do miss the cropping ability of the RIIs but the A9 destroys it in every other way.

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:40 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

XPO239 wrote:
I love my a9. While using both the a9 and the d850 in tandem at a wedding, after using the a9 and switching to the d850, I would want to go back to the a9. The autofocus is insane. I've never used the a7ii, but I heard that the a9 is just a different beast.

Interesting. Can you elaborate? I'm in the market for some D850s and the AF is one of the big draws for me. Sounds like you're saying that the A9 spanks it?

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:21 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Reading this seems like we will soon be able to purchase a camera with AF worthy of such demanding tasks that is weddings

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:38 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buy A7RII or wait to buy a9....?

Thanks for the 'Hide Me' button Fred!

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.