New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · India trip advice please

Bobg657
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · India trip advice please

In December we're going to some of the parks (Satpura, Chambal, Bandargarvh, and Bardia in Nepal) and I'm wondering if reach or fast aperature is more critical. I'm primarily interested in mammals, but also shoot birds.

Here are my options, shown in FF equivalent focal length:

600 f4 prime, optional 1.4 tc = 840mm bringing aperature to 5.6
100-400 2.8-3.5 zoom, optional 1.4 tc = 560mm bringing fastest aperature to f5
200-800 f4-6.3

I'll have a second body with 24-120 2.8-4 mounted.

These are all micro four thirds or four thirds lenses so size is not a concern, but only one will be taken. Which one?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Bob

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:51 PM
zurura
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · India trip advice please

Hello or should I say Namaste.

Welcome to India.

If your interest is mammals, the focal length of 100-400 suits well here. A few known wildlife photographer friends who frequent the national parks vouch by this. This would be definitely on the shorter side for birds, especially the smaller ones. The 600 augurs well for the birds but you loose the flexibilty. I think you will need to take a judgement call on that one. I would have picked up a 100-400 as I would have preffered the flexibility and I am interested in mammals more than birds. But my experiences in wildlife photography as limited and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Get ready for a hell lot of dirt thrown at you in those safaris. Please get adequate cover for your cameras when they are not in use in those open vehicles.

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of Chambal as a Safari destination. Please be sure of the areas as Chambal is not really something where people go for wildlife. It was rather infamous for dacoits in the 70s to 90s.

Please let me know in case you need any help regarding India - the travel or anything else of it. It would be my pleasure to help you out.

Hope you have a great time in India.

Gautam

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:23 AM
zurura
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · India trip advice please

Hey Bob,

Googled up on the Chambal national park. Realised this was on the Uttar Pradesh [UP] side and not the Madhya Pradesh [MP] one. This is the alligator one. My bad. The infamous district is the MP one close to Gwalior.

Also, if you are in Bandhavgarh, there are three ranges there to choose from. Tala, Magadhi and one more which I can't recall. If the big cat is on your agenda, try and do most of your safaris [over 50%] at Tala [Insist with the organizers before hand as they need to book it online]. Tala is a smaller range and the probability of seeing a tiger there is higher than the other two ranges.

Gautam

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:13 AM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · India trip advice please

Thank you for the good information Gautam, I appreciate it.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:00 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · India trip advice please

what 600mm f4 do you have?

Dec 05, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · India trip advice please

Its the Olympus 300f4 which I love, but I have decided to go only with the 50-200 2.8-3.5 with a 1.4 TC to save weight and have a faster aperature if needed. Unfortunately I’m having shoulder problems so weight is a real issue or I’d take both.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · India trip advice please

See your doctor before you go and get a prescription of ciproflaxen.....also consider getting malaria pills as India is a known area for that. Other than that, have a great time!

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · India trip advice please

Thanks Herb, we already got those! We leave tomorrow, should be quite a trip!

Dec 13, 2017 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.